Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
My friend is in the not-enviable position of having a post-doc she was supposed to start... now, but can't fly because the border is closed. If she doesn't get there by the end of the year, she'll lose her offer. She's currently working on trying for a travel exemption, but she told me that even if she gets it, only the first 50 people off a plane are allowed to enter the country, with preference given to First/Business class passengers, is that true? Is an approved exemption really the only way she could possibly get to Australia before the end of the year/ASAP? Canadian citizen.
Post-doc = university study? What AU city? I would push the university for a deferment:- will be 1 of many. Unlikely students will be allowed in, but some universities are pushing for fee paying students (mainly Chinese) to be allowed in.

The AU government determines which non citizens can enter. Not the airlines. Will still be many AU citizens & AU permanent residents wanting to come back as Covid-19 is still rampant in UK, USA and other places and not slowing down.
I think EK (and maybe QR?) will be the only airline with first class into AU. From USA-Canada business class will be as good as it gets. UA & DL are flying USA-SYD, with reduced schedules, compared to a year ago.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 22, 2020 at 10:26 pm Reason: added " non citizens "
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Post-doc = university study? What AU city? I would push the university for a deferment:- will be 1 of many. Unlikely students will be allowed in, but some universities are pushing for fee paying students (mainly Chinese) to be allowed in.

The AU government determines who can enter. Not the airlines. Will still be many AU citizens & AU permanent residents wanting to come back as Covid-19 is still rampant in UK, USA and other places and not slowing down.
I think EK (and maybe QR?) will be the only airline with first class into AU. From USA-Canada business class will be as good as it gets. UA & DL are flying USA-SYD, with reduced schedules, compared to a year ago.
Post doc = post-PhD university study/work, yes. I believe this would be in Melbourne.

Does what class you're flying in actually matter, though? I'm unsure on the details.

Problem is that my friend will be essentially homeless if she can't go to Australia, since she'll have to find a different job otherwise - possibly change plans completely. Obv. not a good solution.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Post doc = post-PhD university study/work, yes. I believe this would be in Melbourne.

Does what class you're flying in actually matter, though? I'm unsure on the details.

Problem is that my friend will be essentially homeless if she can't go to Australia, since she'll have to find a different job otherwise - possibly change plans completely. Obv. not a good solution.
With increasing Covid-19 infections in Melbourne (403 today) the chances of being allowed to enter in the coming months are reduced a lot. And then some. Other cites/states have few(20< ) to zero new infections per day
Time to talk to the Melbourne university (several here in the city).
The AU government will not care at all that an Canadian citizen will be "essentially homeless" if she cannot enter. IMHO that will not be a consideration in granting entry.
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/t...restrictions-0
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With increasing Covid-19 infections in Melbourne (403 today) the chances of being allowed to enter in the coming months are reduced a lot. And then some. Other cites/states have few(20< ) to zero new infections per day
Time to talk to the Melbourne university (several here in the city).
The AU government will not care at all that an Canadian citizen will be "essentially homeless" if she cannot enter. IMHO that will not be a consideration in granting entry.
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/t...restrictions-0
I more meant that "just delay for a year" wasn't as simple as that haha. Yeah she's in constant talks with the university and they're talking to the visa office, etc. I was just wondering if the part about the first 50 off each plane was also true and and added complication and/or if there's some expert FT alternative option, but apparently not!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I more meant that "just delay for a year" wasn't as simple as that haha. Yeah she's in constant talks with the university and they're talking to the visa office, etc. I was just wondering if the part about the first 50 off each plane was also true and and added complication and/or if there's some expert FT alternative option, but apparently not!
Get the visa, then buy a seat on a flight/flights. No-one knows what the demand for seats will be (a lot). For a test look at SFO-SYD (UA) and LAX-SYD (DL) or Y??-NRT/DOH/DXB/???-SYD in the next few weeks/few months. MEL is currently closed to international passenger arrivals (but not departures) so may not show if looking now
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

Yes. The federal government and the states have put capacity limits on inbound arrivals to not overburden the hotel quarantine system. There's more people wanting to enter than places and the airlines are unsurprisingly giving first dibs to F/J pax.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Yes. The federal government and the states have put capacity limits on inbound arrivals to not overburden the hotel quarantine system. There's more people wanting to enter than places and the airlines are unsurprisingly giving first dibs to F/J pax.
Does that apply to the first 50 passengers with exemptions, then (and e.g. not returning Australian citizens)? What happens to the others - do they just get sent on a plane back or are they refused boarding?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does that apply to the first 50 passengers with exemptions, then (and e.g. not returning Australian citizens)? What happens to the others - do they just get sent on a plane back or are they refused boarding?
Nope: 50 all up (not matter what passport). The "50" number does vary by city
Only 50 seats are sold. If the airline oversells then its the airlines problem:- will not be boarded
;
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope: 50 all up (not matter what passport). Does vary by city
oh wow. Seems irresponsible by the airline to sell more than 50 tickets per plane, then?

I guess they can't exactly deny the 51st+ passenger entry if they're Australian, though. Guess you need to sit within the first 50 seats from the front of the plane? Interesting system.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

..I guess they can't exactly deny the 51st+ passenger entry if they're Australian, though. Guess you need to sit within the first 50 seats from the front of the plane? Interesting system.
Yes they can. The 51st will not board.
Airlines oversell flights: it just a risk they take. No different to selling 500(501) seats as they did in the past, or 50(51) seats. Sell or pay the pax to take a later flight/cancel
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No it applies to every inbound pax. I believe the nationwide quota is 3,300 arrivals/week. Sydney just the other day reduced its daily quota to 350.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh wow. Seems irresponsible by the airline to sell more than 50 tickets per plane, then?

I guess they can't exactly deny the 51st+ passenger entry if they're Australian, though. Guess you need to sit within the first 50 seats from the front of the plane? Interesting system.
They don't deny you entry one arrival, you will be denied boarding.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they can. The 51st will not board.
Originally Posted by bensyd
They don't deny you entry one arrival, you will be denied boarding.
​​​​​​​

Sorry, I responded before seeing your edit - that makes more sense then. So I guess they pretty much only sell F/J tickets then and the first Y passengers who show up at check-in or whatever the mechanism is there, then. Gocha. Thanks for answering! Sucks that even with an exemption you might still not be able to go. Have to find the smallest plane to fly to Australia, then!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

​​​​​​​
Sorry, I responded before seeing your edit - that makes more sense then. So I guess they pretty much only sell F/J tickets then and the first Y passengers who show up at check-in or whatever the mechanism is there, then. Gocha. Thanks for answering! Sucks that even with an exemption you might still not be able to go. Have to find the smallest plane to fly to Australia, then!
Buying a seat for next week will be a different proposition to buying a seat for next month. All the trans Pacific aircraft are wide body:- 100's of seats
Do a test ticket check for your friend. Air NZ LAX-AKL-AU is another possible option
But getting the AU visa is the hard part.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an an article on some of the mechanics of the system from yesterday.
Melbourne airport remains closed to international visitors, with incoming capacity for Adelaide and Canberra assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Between seven to eight international flights are scheduled to land each day at Sydney Airport. However, the cap per flight could increase if some scheduled services do not go ahead.

“The amount allocated to each airline for each flight varies depending on how many flights are operating on each day but within a total daily cap,” a spokeswoman for the federal Department of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development said.

“Airlines have the ability to request more than their per-flight passenger allocation on a particular day if there is any spare capacity available on that particular day.”

She also said airlines were required to enforce the limits on their own services at the point of departure overseas, and that while Border Force officials checked arrival numbers, no fines or breaches had been issued since the caps came into effect.

A Qatar Airways spokeswoman told the Guardian it “analyses each flight on a case-by-case basis to ensure we facilitate onward travel to the final destination for as many passengers as possible.”

“The passenger list is continually assessed and based on a range of criteria, including compassionate and medical requests, connecting flights, booking class, party size etc. We continue to work closely with our passengers to find alternative flights if they are unable to travel on their original intended flight,” the spokeswoman said.

An Etihad spokesman said government advice had indicated the caps would be in place until at least mid-August, and that they had been told to operate to a 30 passenger per flight limit into Sydney. The airline continues to fly a passenger jet as a freight-only service on its Abu Dhabi to Melbourne route.

A Singapore Airlines spokesman said “should any of our flights have a booked capacity over the government arrival cap, we will work with affected customers to re-accommodate them accordingly”.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...irlines-cancel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.