Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Written yes https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...passenger-caps

Do state premiers have to oblige? Can a federal minister unilaterally lift arrival caps and force the states to take arrivals?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Written yes https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...passenger-caps

Do state premiers have to oblige? Can a federal minister unilaterally lift arrival caps and force the states to take arrivals?
To me the 2000 per week increase is by agreement with the states. It was the states who requested limits to match hotel quarantine capacity. At the time that was paid for by the states, but since then charges of about AU$3000 for the 14 days have been introduced.
Have read of reports that the 4000 target per week was not being met: less people coming in for various reasons.

Edit 17 Sep
Stuff.co.nz -'Cry myself to sleep at night': Australian family stuck in New Zealand
<snip>
Sydney airport currently takes more than 3000 people a week, while Perth takes 525 and Brisbane takes 500 a week.

On Wednesday, Australian Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said he had written to the states asking them to accommodate an increase in the national cap of weekly international arrivals from 4000 to 6000.

McCormack said New South Wales had agreed to take an extra 500 people, South Australia had agreed to take 360 people and he had asked WA to take an extra 500 people.

Perth currently has eight hotels operating as quarantine facilities and there are currently about 2000 people in hotel quarantine.

WA Premier Mark McGowan said he was unaware of the changes to the cap and was resistant to opening more hotels, instead calling on the federal government to open up defence facilities and immigration centres such as Christmas Island to handle extra arrivals.

"I've said to Prime Minister we are willing to be co-operative and work with them to take more than the 525, if that is what is required, but I also think the Commonwealth should look at alternative arrangements for where people are placed," he told ABC Perth on Wednesday.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 16, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:51 am

Other than South Australia, I don't see any indication of Australian premiers agreeing to this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Other than South Australia, I don't see any indication of Australian premiers agreeing to this.
The Northern Territory will accept more. The feds can use RAAF bases and Christmas Island if need be. MEL should be back on line reasonably soon. That idiot in Queensland won't be doing anything until after the election. I see she's telling the PM he will need to quarantine if he intends on going to the AFL grand final.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:06 pm

The Prime Ministers of Australia and New Zealand also said they'd do a bubble. Where is it? Lot easier to announce than to implement.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Prime Ministers of Australia and New Zealand also said they'd do a bubble. Where is it? Lot easier to announce than to implement.
With a big increase in cases in Melbourne, some cases in NSW & QLD, new cases in New Zealand after many days with no cases, New Zealand general election (17 Oct) and Queensland state election (31 Oct) the trans Tasman bubble is on hold. Scot Morrison [AU] had stated that state borders had to be open first, to put pressure on the states (=QLD). Jacinda Arden [NZ] has stated need 28 days covid-19 free.

The Covid-19 policies in Queensland & New Zealand is now 90% politics and 10% health.

In my opinion TT bubble won't happen until early 2021. Limited chance in mid Dec. A lot of TT traffic over Christmas - New Year.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was never going to happen from the moment NZ and AU differed on what they wanted to achieve. Australia was going for suppression from the start (although some states have gotten to elimination and now want to keep it that way) and NZ wanted elimination. I'm sure some of the states that are at zero want a bubble with NZ, but the federal government will not let that happen as long as they keep their state borders shut.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
My friend is in the not-enviable position of having a post-doc she was supposed to start... now, but can't fly because the border is closed. If she doesn't get there by the end of the year, she'll lose her offer. She's currently working on trying for a travel exemption, but she told me that even if she gets it, only the first 50 people off a plane are allowed to enter the country, with preference given to First/Business class passengers, is that true? Is an approved exemption really the only way she could possibly get to Australia before the end of the year/ASAP? Canadian citizen.
2 months later, my friend just (finally!) received her travel exemption & visa and booked a.... 5000 dollar United Economy flight that she hopefully won't get bumped from. Small success!
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
2 months later, my friend just (finally!) received her travel exemption & visa and booked a.... 5000 dollar United Economy flight that she hopefully won't get bumped from. Small success!
Reports of bumping are mainly with QR Qatar. Some SQ. Have not read of passengers being bumped from USA airlines DL & UA.
Is Sydney the final destination?
US$5000 (one way?) is a lot. Did she look at Air NZ via AKL? They are are transporting people AU to/from USA via AKL. But seats into AU are limited
Old Sep 16, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Reports of bumping are mainly with QR Qatar. Some SQ. Have not read of passengers being bumped from USA airlines DL & UA.
Is Sydney the final destination?
US$5000 (one way?) is a lot. Did she look at Air NZ via AKL? They are are transporting people AU to/from USA via AKL. But seats into AU are limited
Yes, one-way. Yes, it's an exorbitant amount. There is a cheaper NZ flight but it's later and would require an extra connection (so an extra chance for flight cancellations) and she wants to get there ASAP, before anything changes/gets worse.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some progress from today's National Cabinet meeting. If Melbourne can be brought back online in the next month we should clear the backlog reasonably quickly.

International travel caps will be lifted in a "staged way" across states and territories after what Prime Minister Scott Morrison said was "a very practical day" for national cabinet.

NSW will begin to take an additional 500 arrivals by September 27, Mr Morrison told reporters on Friday afternoon.

On that same day, Queensland and Western Australia will begin to take an extra 200 a week, which will increase by 300 on on October 4 for Queensland and October 11 for Western Australia.

Smaller states and territories have agreed to support the effort through taking additional charter flights, the Prime Minister said.
I was also surprised to read that 15% of arrivals going into hotel quarantine are Australians returning from NZ. Surely having sterile flights across the Tasman is the way to short circuit these arrivals from ever needing to enter quarantine.

Speaking about the long-awaited trans-Tasman travel bubble with New Zealand, Mr Morrison said this was a matter of priority, as fewer Australians coming from New Zealand staying in hotel quarantine would free up spots in the country's hotel quarantine program.

"We see that as another way of enabling more and more Australians to come home," he said.

Mr Morrison said around 15 per cent of people coming to Australia from overseas were coming from New Zealand.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/coro...18-p55wti.html

ETA: It seems as though the SMH is correct, the ABC has the actual quote from the PM. The PM was a bit confusing in the way he worded what he was trying to say.

"But it will be done in a staged way. New South Wales will move [to] take an additional 500 by Monday week, so that's 28 September," Mr Morrison said.

"Queensland and Western Australia, on that same day, will be taking an additional 200 per week from 28 September.

"By 5 October, Queensland will then move to that 400-500 extra.

"So, they'll increase it by 300 again. And by 12 October, WA will also go to that 500 extra a week."
So by October 5, Qld will be taking an additional 400-500 extra/week, which will move them to 1,000/week and WA will by October 12 be taking 1,025/week.

So, as it stands by October 12 the weekly cap into Australia will 6,275.

This is broken down as

NSW 3650
WA 1,025
Qld 1,000
SA 600

Last edited by bensyd; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:47 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
<snip>
I was also surprised to read that 15% of arrivals going into hotel quarantine are Australians returning from NZ. Surely having sterile flights across the Tasman is the way to short circuit these arrivals from ever needing to enter quarantine
Those going NZ--->AU will also include NZ citizens normally resident in AU and including some Kiwi FIFO workers keen to get back to the WA mines. Are many 100's of Kiwi FIFO workers.

AU (and some states) does not (yet) have the concept of coming from a clean-sterile country(state). Everyone crossing the border goes into 14 day isolation. As for the South Island being sterile area (bubble), currently no flights AU<----->South Island. QF have decided not to fly international routes, even when a shorter flying time than some intra Au routes. Air Auckland (sometimes know as Air New Zealand) has forgotten the mainland (aka South Island) has international airports, only flying into AKL from MEL SYD and BNE.

18 Sep 2020 (abc.net.au)---> Coronavirus]Australia live news: Prime Minister Scott Morrison speaks after National
States to increase limits to international arrivals
It comes after a cap on international arrivals was introduced in July.
He said NSW, Queensland and Western Australia will take on more arrivals throughout the month and in October.

But he added that it would be done in a staged way.

"I want to thank, in particular, the New South Wales Government for their very quick and prompt response to support those liftings of the caps, and today we did get support for moving to those additional numbers," Mr Morrison said.

"But it will be done in a staged way. New South Wales will move [to] take an additional 500 by Monday week, so that's 27 September," Mr Morrison said.

"Queensland and Western Australia, on that same day, will be taking an additional 200 per week from 27 September.

"By 4 October, Queensland will then move to that 400-500 extra.

"So, they'll increase it by 300 again. And by 11 October, WA will also go to that 500 extra a week."
Edit
abc.net.au--> WA to receive an extra 500 international arrivals per week by October 11 amid ADF support pledge

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those going NZ--->AU will also include NZ citizens normally resident in AU and now some Kiwi FIFO workers keen to get back to the WA mines. Are many 100's of Kiwi FIFO workers.

AU (and some states) does not (yet) have the concept of coming from a clean-sterile country(state). Everyone crossing the border goes into 14 day isolation. As for the South Island being sterile area, currently no flights AU<----->South Island. QF have decided not to fly international routes, even when a shorter flying time than some intra Au routes. Air Auckland (sometimes know as Air New Zealand) has forgotten the mainland (aka South Island) has international airports, only flying into AKL from MEL SYD and BNE.
It seems like a fair waste of resources (and money!) to be putting people up in hotel quarantine when they're coming from NZ. A bit of sanity required there I think. Obviously they'd have to come on direct flights with no connecting passengers from elsewhere which perhaps is not being done for commercial reasons by ANZ.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
It seems like a fair waste of resources (and money!) to be putting people up in hotel quarantine when they're coming from NZ. A bit of sanity required there I think. Obviously they'd have to come on direct flights with no connecting passengers from elsewhere which perhaps is not being done for commercial reasons by ANZ.
No different to those living in northern NSW, where their has been no Covid-19 cases for weeks, going across an imaginary line on a map (NSW QLD border).
Politics (QLD & NZ elections) is driving this :- not health related or logic
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No different to those living in northern NSW, where their has been no Covid-19 cases for weeks, going across an imaginary line on a map (NSW QLD border).
Politics (QLD & NZ elections) is driving this :- not health related or logic
Don't get me started on Qld. I want to throw my TV out the window every time she appears on it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.