Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I have not seen an end date published. But any end date will get extended, as needed. Several AU Government ministers have stated the international border is not expected to be open this calendar year, other than perhaps for AU<---NZ. IMHO travel restriction from rampant hot spots like USA, UK and others will be in place for many months (a year?), until infection & death rate reduces substantially. The death rate per million in USA/UK is about 85-150 times the rate in AU & NZ. We don't' want that here. Qantas have cancelled all international flight to the end of October (at least), which is an indication.

AU Government:---> COVID-19 and the border Coming to Australia
AU Government update 30 June 2020:---> COVID-19 and the border Travel restrictions

26 Jun 2020 abc.net.au Coronavirus could keep international travel off the agenda until mid-next year, according to Qantas — this is what we know

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
The CMO said last week he did not expect the border to reopen as it was pre-Covid until there is a vaccine. Qantas is not restarting international flights until July 2021.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I have not seen an end date published. But any end date will get extended, as needed. Several AU Government ministers have stated the international border is not expected to be open this calendar year, other than perhaps for AU<---NZ. IMHO travel restriction from rampant hot spots like USA, UK and others will be in place for many months (a year?), until infection & death rate reduces substantially. The death rate per million in USA/UK is about 85-150 times the rate in AU & NZ. We don't' want that here. Qantas have cancelled all international flight to the end of October (at least), which is an indication.

AU Government:---> COVID-19 and the border Coming to Australia
AU Government update 30 June 2020:---> COVID-19 and the border Travel restrictions

26 Jun 2020 abc.net.au Coronavirus could keep international travel off the agenda until mid-next year, according to Qantas — this is what we know

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
Thank you the links are helpful. I fully support Australia making decisions in its own national interest. I have seen the official pages, but the news stories are particularly helpful, as I would expect the government to be more reluctant to make forward-looking predictions.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:23 am

Now to see what happens in Victoria!
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gladys has flagged the idea of NSW residents returning from Victoria facing mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine and being required to foot the bill. If that happens for domestic arrivals I would assume that it will be implemented for international arrivals.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
.. ,....and being required to foot the bill. If that happens for domestic arrivals I would assume that it will be implemented for international arrivals.
National Cabinet decides to restrict international arrivals by half in bid to contain coronavirus spread
<snip>
"We also today a reduction in the number of inbound arrivals into Australia across those ports that are able to accept returning Australian citizens and residents," Mr Morrison said after National Cabinet met this morning."They will be cut by just over half across all the various ports that are taking those … residents returning to Australia."

Every state and territory will also begin charging people in mandatory quarantine.
<snip>
International flights cut by half as travellers forced to pay for quarantine
<snip>
Since international borders were closed in mid-March, more than 357,000 Australian citizens and permanent residents have returned amid the global coronavirus pandemic. Anyone returning has been forced into 14 days of mandatory hotel quarantine to slow the spread of coronavirus. The cost of the stay had been covered by the taxpayer - until now
<snip>
On Friday, the Morrison government said that hotel bill would now fall on the return traveller, with each state and territory required to decide on a “charging system” for return travellers.
<snip>
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:36 pm

I returned to Australia on March 25th after an ill-fated roundtrip to the States which lasted 5 days instead of the planned 3 months.
The 14 day mandatory quarantine was in place but it was still the short period where it was up to the passenger to arrange their quarantine. The government arranged/imposed/paid 2 week hotel quarantine was not in place.

I paid $1300 for 2 weeks accommodation in a 1 bedroom apartment in central Brisbane. It was an upscale apartment with great view from on high of the Brisbane River (not Sydney Harbour I know but you take what you can)

During my 2 weeks I was not contacted once to check whether at that instant I was complying with the mandatory self-quarantine.

As with most things Government-related, policy was imposed but implementation of the policy was ignored. When I arrived at the apartment from the airport I logged onto Coles and Woolworths online and found out that delivery of groceries was going to take 3-4 days. There was an option to register as a needy person which included the elderly/disabled and people under mandatory quarantine. This would ensure expedited delivery but on filling in the application for this the supermarket would get back to you in 48hrs to confirm your status. So you had to fast for 2-3 days before you could get any grocery delivery (probably wouldn't do me great harm actually).

So to actually get food I had to break quarantine for 1 hour at the beginning of my stay to go to the supermarket.

So I spent $1300 on accommodation in an apartment with full cooking/laundry facilities and perhaps $250 on food. Compared to the $3000 that the NSW government is going to charge for accommodation/food in a hotel room, I know which I would prefer.

I would even prefer an option of wearing an ankle bracelet to ensure compliance and even paying the cost of that rather than paying $3000 to stay in a hotel room especially when I am not earning points. If I am going to spend 14 nights and $3000 for government quarantine I want to earn at least 1 nights free quarantine for a time of my choosing - preferably with a welcome drink.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I would even prefer an option of wearing an ankle bracelet to ensure compliance and even paying the cost of that
The obvious problem with the ankle bracelet idea is people in quarantine can still get their mates around for beers, or a rogue security guard for a late night booty call.

The self-quarantine system had pretty poor compliance. I think I saw stats that said it had 50%-60% compliance.

OTOH, it would make sense to maybe have a mix of hotel and non-hotel quarantine depending on which country you have arrived from. Passengers arriving from most countries in East Asia are very low risk so could isolate at home. Whereas passengers from the sub-Continent, USA, Latin America etc would need to do hotel quarantine.

Last edited by bensyd; Jul 11, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 9:06 pm

The obvious problem with the ankle bracelet idea is people in quarantine can still get their mates around for beers, or a rogue security guard for a late night booty call.
You must have a naturally criminal mind - I didn't contemplate that myself. How about an ankle bracelet and a chastity belt?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must have a naturally criminal mind - I didn't contemplate that myself. How about an ankle bracelet and a chastity belt?
Haha!

Give Peter Dutton the key.

Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:19 pm

Peter Dutton with the key to my chastity belt That is the stuff of nightmares
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Whereas passengers from the sub-Continent, USA, Latin America etc would need to do hotel quarantine.
Or, if they can't afford that and the 14 days, drop them in the Outback ala one of those survival shows...if they last 14 days, they're good. That way, they do their quarantine and get to see some of OZ at the same time...

David
kirkwoodj and NZbutterfly like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Peter Dutton with the key to my chastity belt That is the stuff of nightmares
Yes, but who else would you trust that actually knows what to do with such a key...?

(and, yes, there's probably an interesting limerick there...)

David
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Yes, but who else would you trust that actually knows what to do with such a key...?

(and, yes, there's probably an interesting limerick there...)

David
He may know what to do but I don't want him doing it.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He may know what to do but I don't want him doing it.
Ha!
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
My friend is in the not-enviable position of having a post-doc she was supposed to start... now, but can't fly because the border is closed. If she doesn't get there by the end of the year, she'll lose her offer. She's currently working on trying for a travel exemption, but she told me that even if she gets it, only the first 50 people off a plane are allowed to enter the country, with preference given to First/Business class passengers, is that true? Is an approved exemption really the only way she could possibly get to Australia before the end of the year/ASAP? Canadian citizen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.