Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by boybi
My MNL-SYD flight will arrive 6:30AM and my flight to MEL will depart at 8:35AM. Is 2hrs enough to connect to my MEL flight?
It will be close. See this other thread for more info Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Will I have ample time to get tested at the airport? Do I need to pre-schedule my covid test?
It's a self-test that is required. Bring one with you, find somewhere away from the crowds and do the test. You are only obligated to report the result if it is positive.
Mwenenzi and boybi like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As above you can do a self test (take a photo of the result). Do not over think the AU requirements,
Or from https://www.histopath.com.au/locations/airport at the airport, But that will take time and at cost. With 2:05hr you do not have time

off topic
My MNL-SYD flight will arrive 6:30AM and my flight to MEL will depart at 8:35AM. Is 2hrs enough to connect to my MEL flight? Will I have ample time to get tested at the airport?
Look at --->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
boybi likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 1, 2022 at 4:08 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by supine
It's a self-test that is required. Bring one with you, find somewhere away from the crowds and do the test. You are only obligated to report the result if it is positive.
What's will be my proof that my self-test is negative? Should the video be sufficient?

And since I will only report if I tested positive, what if I forgot to take the test? Will there be a random inspection by the authorities of tourists if they did take the test?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:18 pm

What's will be my proof that my self-test is negative? Should the video be sufficient?

And since I will only report if I tested positive, what if I forgot to take the test? Will there be a random inspection by the authorities of tourists if they did take the test?
There is no requirement to prove that you have taken a test. There is no system, inspection or checks to see if people are taking the test (which must be the case since you don’t have to retain proof). So yes, for all intents and purposes you’re being asked nicely to take one but if you don’t no one really cares.
boybi likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

No one cares if you take a test or don't. You're way over thinking this. I understand that for two years Australia was a covid fortress and so to people overseas it may appear that covid is a big deal here but it isn't. There is absolutely zero, none, enforcement of these testing requirements. Why the requirement still exists is beyond me.
boybi likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:36 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Glad I looked here. I assumed AU still required a pre-departure test and I was fretting over where to even get one these days. All of my local places - the ones who did a PCR and would print your passport info - have stopped testing.

I am traveling to QLD in a few months, though, and would be interested to know whether they require a supervised test these days. Messages above indicate they may only need a self-test.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
I am traveling to QLD in a few months, though, and would be interested to know whether they require a supervised test these days.
They do not...
Testing on arrival

As an international arrival who has been outside of Australia in the last 7 days, you must:
  • take a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of arriving
  • travel as directly as practicable using a private vehicle, hire car, taxi, endorsed transport provider or ride share to a residence or accommodation (cabin on a cruise liner, boat or government-nominated accommodation) until a negative result is received.
Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) endorsed by ATAGI are an acceptable form of COVID-19 test for international arrivals. A RAT can be undertaken at the airport after arriving. A RAT is not recommended for a child under the age of 2 years. A COVID-19 PCR test should be used instead.
https://www.qld.gov.au/health/condit...0is%20received.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:19 pm

Unvaccinated international travel

Can anyone tell me which airlines, other than Qatar & Singapore Airlines (which want to charge $3100 up for a 1 way ticket), accept unvaccinated passangers? My friends student visa expires in 11 days time and he needs to get back to Estonia from Brisbane. We have been trying to get him a reasonable flight since the end of April. Neither country has any vaccination requirement but Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar will not allow him to travel with them. First time I am posting in any form, ever, so I hope this is ok
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AustralianSnowFlake
Can anyone tell me which airlines, other than Qatar & Singapore Airlines (which want to charge $3100 up for a 1 way ticket), accept unvaccinated passengers? My friends student visa expires in 11 days time and he needs to get back to Estonia from Brisbane. We have been trying to get him a reasonable flight since the end of April. Neither country has any vaccination requirement but Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar will not allow him to travel with them. First time I am posting in any form, ever, so I hope this is ok
SYD has far more international fights/airline than BNE. He need to drive-bus-rail to Sydney if needed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Airport

Buying a return ticket may be cheaper than a one way
He will also need to check the CV19 requirements for any transit airports/countries.
11 days out is getting close to sort out. But he made the choice.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Do you need any kind of test when flying from the US to Australia now?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Do you need any kind of test when flying from the US to Australia now?
As per the wiki: No. From 18 April 2022 pre departure tests are not required.
The individual states/territories have a requirement for a post arrival test. Self administered - self reported for most, but check the detailed requirements.
Au Federal Govt link-->https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid19
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/i...eas-travellers

When you arrive in Victoria

All international travellers (and international aircrew and maritime workers) arriving in Victoria, regardless of vaccination status:
  • are strongly recommended to undertake a rapid antigen test or PCR test within 24 hours of arriving in Australia
    • you are not required to self-quarantine whilst awaiting a result.
  • must undertake a PCR or a rapid antigen test if you develop COVID-19 symptoms within 7 days of arriving in Australia
It is recommend not mandatory, I would assume one can opt not to undertake a Covid test on arrival in Victoria?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
It is recommend not mandatory, I would assume one can opt not to undertake a Covid test on arrival in Victoria?
Yes. Do it or don't do it. You're not breaking any law by choosing not to.

As has been said many times in this thread, all the state testing requirements for international arrivals are at this point de-facto recommended even if they are required, because there is zero enforcement of the testing requirement.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: AC SE
Over here in North America there's a ton of media coverage of the breakdown of the whole system of air travel (since the demand for travel is picking up much faster than the ability of the airlines and airports to meet it). There are long lines at the airports, luggage taking hours to off-load, lots of flight cancellations, and so on.

Is the situation in Australia at all similar? Should those of us who are traveling in that direction be prepared for disruptions?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Over here in North America there's a ton of media coverage of the breakdown of the whole system of air travel (since the demand for travel is picking up much faster than the ability of the airlines and airports to meet it). There are long lines at the airports, luggage taking hours to off-load, lots of flight cancellations, and so on.

Is the situation in Australia at all similar? Should those of us who are traveling in that direction be prepared for disruptions?
The first school holidays after all restrictions except the need to isolate if someone in your house tested positive were somewhat a complete disaster at airports with lots of travellers who hadn’t travelled for a long time, very few staff and what staff were there were often quite new. Some states have just started their next round of school holidays and it went better, but not great, and this weekend NSW school holidays kick off so I wouldn’t want to be going through Sydney airport. Outside school holidays it’s pretty much normal

Biggest challenge is staffing now, to give some perspective last week Sydney airport held a jobs fair across all aspects of the airport (retail, security, hospitality, baggage etc) as they were looking to fill 5,000 jobs. That’s quite the shortage for a single airport which isn’t super big.
TheCanuckian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.