Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the New Zealand government web site (govt.nz) issues a visa/NZeTA. These other scam-deceptive web sites just send your data to the NZ Govt web site. Some of these sites may have a disclaimer in the fine print.

NZ Government link ---> Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
NZ Government link ---> Request an NZeTA {as at 05 Aug 2019} Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA.
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD$9 on our free app, or NZD$12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
NZ Government link --->NZ Traveller Declaration On line or phone app. An option to the paper arrival form.

NZ Government web sites. Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers Transit passengers

Refer to post 23 below

Wikipedia --> Visa policy of New Zealand This may be accurate nor does it replace official NZ Government information

Other related FT threads
Print Wikipost

NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
NZ Immigration will screen.
Its also for people who may claim political asylum. Or have a poor history of border compliance. NZ immigration policies are a lot weaker than many other countries, partially Australia.
To be more exact, for the last ~25 years NZ Immigration has taken a processing and facilitation role, rather than the compliance and enforcement role that Australian Immigration has pursued. That policy actually changed to re-focus on compliance/enforcement when the current government came in.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:56 pm

Hoping to get a little clarification on this upcoming ETA requirement. On the official website it states:

If you plan to visit New Zealand for a short period, you must request an NZeTA before you travel if you:
  • travel on a passport from a country on the list of visa waiver countries and territories
  • leave for New Zealand on or after 1 October 2019, and
  • are visiting for up to 3 months — or, if you are a British citizen, up to 6 months
For US citizens it seems that we can still apply for a Visa Waiver Visitor Visa if we travel before October 1:

If you are from a visa waiver country, you do not have to apply for a visa before you travel to New Zealand provided you’re in good health and of good character. You need to show you are a genuine visitor, have enough money for your stay and a travel ticket out of New Zealand to a country you have the right to enter.

But it also states for the same visa waiver: You cannot apply for this visa before you travel to New Zealand — you apply when you get here. You must hold an NZeTA before you travel.

So say I'm leaving tomorrow - do I still need an NZeTA for the Visa Waiver Visitor Visa? Because it's not October 1 yet and the website seems to imply it's already required. And it seems the IVL is already in effect - so how would I pay for that fee if I don't apply for the ETA? Our whole family is going so it does add up to a little bit if we all get the ETA (with mandatory IVL). Adding to the confusion it says we need an ETA if we leave for New Zealand on or after October 1 and we leave on an overnight flight on September 30

Thanks in advance for any input / help with this confusing issue!

Last edited by brownie20; Sep 23, 2019 at 11:10 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"leave for New Zealand on or after 1 October 2019"

so not for tomorrow's departure (or Thursday's, when my wife and I will fly)

Your case is a bit marginal. You're leaving in September your time so literally you're within your rights not to have an NZeTA, but will Immigration NZ really look at your ticket to see if you fall into the 30 Sep loophole on your 1 Oct arrival?
brownie20 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Your case is a bit marginal. You're leaving in September your time so literally you're within your rights not to have an NZeTA, but will Immigration NZ really look at your ticket to see if you fall into the 30 Sep loophole on your 1 Oct arrival?
If they leave on the 30th they'll actually arrive on the 2nd, not the 1st (presuming travelling from the US)

The NZ govt website at https://www.govt.nz/browse/immigrati...a-or-an-nzeta/ states that you require an NZeTA if you are "arriving in NZ after 1 October 2019", which clearly arriving on the 2nd you would be. However the Immigration NZeTA site at https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta states that "From 1 October 2019, you will not be allowed to travel to New Zealand if you do not have a visa or an NZeTA." which is far less clear in this case.

Timatic, which is what the airlines are going to use, hasn't been updated to include any specifics, and currently states "Effective from 1 October 2019, New Zealand will introduce the requirements, for some travelers, to have a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) and to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). For more details, please visit https://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzeta"

Realistically I think the airline is going to be your problem. If you arrive at the border without an NZeTA and they decide you need one I can't see them turning you away - they are most likely going to simply waive you through, or worst case make you pay the IVL there and then. But if the airline decides you need one and can't board without it things could be a lot more complex.

There is a phone number on the immigration website you could try and see if they will give you an answer - but if it was me I'd be wanting to get that answer in writing to be able to show the airline at check-in if needed. If it was just the NZeTA fee I'd say just pay it as the few dollars is worth it, but the IVL increases the cost enough that it's probably worth finding the real answer...
brownie20 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Just apply for it as soon as you can. It took about 90 minutes for me to get it after I submitted it and others can get it in 30 minutes, too. It isn't a difficult application.
brownie20 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nayef
Just apply for it as soon as you can. It took about 90 minutes for me to get it after I submitted it and others can get it in 30 minutes, too. It isn't a difficult application.
I'm presuming the issue isn't the time, but the cost. At US$30/person for the "whole family" it's not exactly a lot of money in the scheme of things, but it's a complete waste of money if it's not needed...
brownie20 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:22 am

I totally agree airlines will be the problem. Their financial incentive is to cover their asses unless you have a slam dunk case in suing it.

I will go further than docbert: get the advice *leaving* for NZ before 1 Oct arriving 2 Oct is ETA free, in writing from immigration.govt.nz email, with the officer's phone number on it so airline can confirm. Anything less, cough up for the ETA - not worth the grief.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 25, 2019 at 3:49 am
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I'm presuming the issue isn't the time, but the cost. At US$30/person for the "whole family" it's not exactly a lot of money in the scheme of things, but it's a complete waste of money if it's not needed...
I totally agree airlines will be the problem. Their financial incentive is to cover their asses unless you have a slam dunk case in suing it.

I will go further than docbert: get the advice *leaving* for NZ before 1 Oct arriving 2 Oct is ETA free, in writing from immigration.govt.nz email, with the officer's phone number on it so airline can confirm. Anything less, cough up for the ETA - not worth the grief.
Originally Posted by Nayef
Thank you so much for all the input and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it! We're flying overnight from Asia so departing 9/30 and arriving 10/1, just in time for the new ETA Thank you for the email address for immigration - I'll try sending them a quick email and hope for a definitive answer. I too think the issue will be with the airline; will likely just go ahead with the ETAs if I'm feeling risk averse lol. Thanks again!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:26 pm

Missus and I checked in separately

My check in with CX:
"Mr Smith, where is your return ticket"
"I don't need one I'm an Australian citizen
I can live in New Zealand till I die"

The agent refused to believe me but I refused to produce my return ticket. She found my return ticket on her own to satisfy herself before I can give her a lesson on Timatic reading.

Missus's check in with CX. Non-Australian visa-exempt passport holder:

"Is she travelling on this?"
"Yes"
"Where's the ETA"
"Don't need one. Doesn't it say only needed from 1 October?"
"So?"
"What date is today?"

The agent let her through.
Mwenenzi, brownie20, ps107 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brownie20
Thank you so much for all the input and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it! We're flying overnight from Asia so departing 9/30 and arriving 10/1, just in time for the new ETA Thank you for the email address for immigration - I'll try sending them a quick email and hope for a definitive answer. I too think the issue will be with the airline; will likely just go ahead with the ETAs if I'm feeling risk averse lol. Thanks again!
In my opinion the NZeTA applies for people arriving/transit from 0:01 01 Oct 2019. That is when the new law will apply. The NZ Government text about 'leaving from" are IMHO just very poor text by some government muppet. Especially for flights from USA where you can skip a complete calendar day, due to crossing the international date line. That text will cause problems.

Will be fun & games a for people flights arriving/transit up to 23:59 30 Sept / from 00:01 01 October.
I often take a flight to NZ that has a scheduled arrival of 23:55. I can be through the immigration e-gates before or after midnight depending on if the flight is early, on time or late.
brownie20 and ps107 like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 27, 2019 at 1:17 pm Reason: Added tranist to arriving/transit
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20
Since the missus is not smartgate-eligible, I took the opportunity to quiz the INZ officer:

"I've a mate joining us in a couple of days. He's leaving on the 30th of September from the US and arriving here on 2 October. Does he need a ETA?"
"Does"
"Oh okay. We got confused that the govt.nz website says departure date and INZ site says arrival day"
"Is by arrival date. We know the sites are a little confusing"

The INZ officer's badge only has her identity number, I didn't get a name.
brownie20 likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:47 am

Since the missus is not smartgate-eligible, I took the opportunity to quiz the INZ officer:

"I've a mate joining us in a couple of days. He's leaving on the 30th of September from the US and arriving here on 2 October. Does he need a ETA?"
"Does"
"Oh okay. We got confused that the govt.nz website says departure date and INZ site says arrival day"
"Is by arrival date. We know the sites are a little confusing"

The INZ officer's badge only has her identity number, I didn't get a name.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In my opinion the NZeTA applies for people arriving from 0:01 01 Oct 2019. That is when the new law will apply. The NZ Government text about 'leaving from" are IMHO just very poor text by some government muppet. Especially for flights from USA where you can skip a complete calendar day, due to crossing the international date line. That text will cause problems.

Will be fun & games a for people flights arriving up to 23:59 30 Sept / from 00:01 01 October.
I often take a flight to NZ that has a scheduled arrival of 23:55. I can be through the immigration e-gates before or after midnight depending on if the flight is early, on time or late.
Thank you so much for all the replies and a big thank you to percysmith for asking the NZ immigration officer for me! I just arrived in Asia a few hours ago and had resigned myself to applying for the ETAs tomorrow because I hadn't received an email response from NZ immigration and the NZ embassy in the US was clueless; Percysmith's information only further validates the need for an ETA. Thanks again everyone for all the help!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NZeTA is now in action

From (01 Oct 2019) NZ Herald newspaper https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12272493
<snip>
INZ's policy director Nick Aldous told the Herald today that visa waiver countries, those whose citizens do not need a visa to come to New Zealand, include the UK, the United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Malaysia and most European countries.
<snip>
"We have been working closely with airlines, cruise lines, travel and tourism industry bodies to ensure the sector has the support and knowledge required to implement the NZeTA in a way that minimises the impact on travellers."

More than 30 staff in 21 different locations around the world would also be on hand to help travellers and carriers manage any issues should they arise.

They would be stationed there initially for two weeks, but that would depend on how smoothly the transition was going and whether many travellers were turning up without the new NZeTAs, he said.
"We have also put additional staff into our Border Operations and Identity Services teams and into the Immigration Contact Centre in order to manage any increase in requests and inquiries."

Currently visitors flying to New Zealand only receive light-touch screening at check-in, while cruise ship passengers and crew are not screened at all. But the NZeTA will give authorities early warning of individuals who potentially pose a risk.

People who do not hold an NZeTA would be denied boarding.
<snip>
So 30 INZ staff got a short term gig in 21 different locations around the world.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 1, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:41 am

The eVisitor 'visa' for Australia is free, so even if NZ needed to cover their levy with an ETA, they could have made it free. But, they didn't...

I haven't been interested in visiting Australia and New Zealand for a very long time, but my partner wants to go there (and Oz, where I have to pay a $20 service charge for the ETA, as I'm not eligible for the eVisitor thing (partner and kids can get the eVisitor) - no idea why one has a service charge and the other doesn't...).
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cafeconleche
The eVisitor 'visa' for Australia is free, so even if NZ needed to cover their levy with an ETA, they could have made it free. But, they didn't...

I haven't been interested in visiting Australia and New Zealand for a very long time, but my partner wants to go there (and Oz, where I have to pay a $20 service charge for the ETA, as I'm not eligible for the eVisitor thing (partner and kids can get the eVisitor) - no idea why one has a service charge and the other doesn't...).
I speculate that it's some sort of reciprocity thing, the EU may have told Australia to make it free or else they will start charging Australians. This was 20 years ago. Since the EU plans to start charging Australians for Schengen entry in 2021 they may not say anything if Australia decides to make the evisitor chargeable too.

EU citizens now need to pay a hefty fee to visit New Zealand while NZ citizens can still stay in the Schengen area without a visa or entry fee for up to 3 years, provided that they do their research and plan their itinerary carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.