Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

'Bumped' From SQ to NW...Y Fare Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Location: Sanibel. FL,AMEX-Centurion, DL-PLAT MM, Continental GE, US AIR PLAT,
Programs: Starwood Plat,Hilton Gold,Priority Club Ambasador-PLAT

Recently I changed my return flight from Singapore to LAX, a skymiles reward ticket for SQ economy class, from May to August. Thanks to the genius who handled the switch, the ticket was never issued and thus my reservation was dropped, leaving me with no ticket home. Once I found out, I also soon found via the reservations center that SQ apparently has no availability for skymiles tickets in ANY class within two weeks of my planned departure date. Although the Delta agent I spoke with admitted full responsibility on Delta's part for screwing my ticket up and leaving me with no options for SQ, she also told me that my only chance was now NWA coach 4 days after my original departure date with absolutely no compensation for dropping my ticket and switching me from SQ to NW. The only small hint of a silver lining here, I suppose, is that my booking now indicates that I have a Y fare, which I believe is upgradeable for a fee. I am guessing that they could not book any mileage seats so they instead booked me as a Y fare...in this case will my ticket be subject to *only* the restrictions normally placed on a Y fare (meaning I can upgrade to business for a fee if available?) Also, does anyone have any idea about the typical availability of these upgrades, and how much they might cost? Would very much appreciate any help here, thanks much and let me know if any clarification is needed!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They may offer a paid upgrade at check-in, or perhaps even a free upgrade (Phantom or Op-Up)

Once in a blue moon, I've had an award ticket post to my account, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Advertising too much about it, may get them investigate your account, and then they'll ship you via barge back to LAX.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:24 am

My guess is that DL used Y since its a NW mileage class of svc if you are using a Perkpass....Either way, you cant pay to upg a mileage tkt ....NW will just refer you to Skymiles to use addl miles to get a D class award tkt if available using any addl miles....
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Location: Sanibel. FL,AMEX-Centurion, DL-PLAT MM, Continental GE, US AIR PLAT,
Programs: Starwood Plat,Hilton Gold,Priority Club Ambasador-PLAT
Jaimeto- haha, yea I was actually worried about inquiring a bit 'too much'...I guess as they've already dropped me from SQ to NW as if there's no difference at all, I shouldn't be too surprised if they end up just throwing me on a freighter due to another 'clerk error'.

ResSalesGuy- I understand that there is no 'paid upgrade' available on mileage tickets, but I was wondering as this is a special circumstance and my ticket now indicates a Y fare if the policies on this particular ticket might have changed. I've certainly seen it happen before...somewhat of a 'bank error in your favor' card from monopoly situation I guess. My question more specifically, as I'm not too familiar with NW procedures, is whether or not a Y fare is upgradeable for a fee? Since I now have a Y fare NWA ticket, it would seem to me that I might be able to upgrade within the 24 hour window when I check in online on the 21st, if the Y fare is indeed an upgradeable fare? Or on NW is a Y fare just indicative of a mileage ticket, and thus not an upgradeable fare? I did inquire about the possibility of upgrading with more miles, and they told me it would be an additional 370k (haha).

Last edited by sportsbe; Aug 9, 2009 at 1:17 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:32 am

ResSalesGuy- I understand that there is no 'paid upgrade' available on mileage tickets, but I was wondering as this is a special circumstance and my ticket now indicates a Y fare if the policies on this particular ticket might have changed. I've certainly seen it happen before...somewhat of a 'bank error in your favor' card from monopoly situation I guess. My question more specifically, as I'm not too familiar with NW procedures, is whether or not a Y fare is upgradeable for a fee? Since I now have a Y fare NWA ticket, it would seem to me that I might be able to upgrade within the 24 hour window when I check in online on the 21st, if the Y fare is indeed an upgradeable fare? Or on NW is a Y fare just indicative of a mileage ticket, and thus not an upgradeable fare? I did inquire about the possibility of upgrading with more miles, and they told me it would be an additional 370k (haha).[/QUOTE]

It should be a NW Y fare with Miles as the FOP, vs $$, therefore NWA.COM will recognize the miles and not give any upg option...Since it was purch with miles, you would not be able to use $$ to pay for an upg....
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A round-trip coach award between the US and Asia requires 70K Skymiles on SQ and 60K on NW. I'd say you're at least due a refund of 5K miles for the "downgrade" to NW on the return.

As to your original question, call up the reservation online and look at your ticket receipt (click on the E-Ticket Number on the reservation summary). What is the fare basis code for your new flights?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by sportsbe
Although the Delta agent I spoke with admitted full responsibility on Delta's part for screwing my ticket up and leaving me with no options for SQ, she also told me that my only chance was now NWA coach 4 days after my original departure date with absolutely no compensation for dropping my ticket and switching me from SQ to NW.
In other words, they're admitting responsibility but not accepting responsibility. I hope that people caught in this bind with prepaids on the line sue them for the lost prepaids.

Bottom line is that airlines such as Delta refuse to be held accountable whenever possible.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
The higher level of PerkPass books into Y class (fare code YPASS), so I'm afraid your booking isn't an error but is the norm. PerkSaver books into W class and the lower level of PerkPass books into L class, if I'm not mistaken. So, I'm afraid your chances of a buy-up are nil although you may be offered to upgrade to WBC for a fee ($250-350 seems the norm) at check-in. Good luck.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It entirely depends on how they rebooked you.

Others are assuming you were rebooked into the PerkPass fare class. That might be the case and since you are talking about DL my past experiences with NW might not have any bearing on this scenario. But I can tell you from numerous past experiences that when NW would make this kind of a screw up (the SIN office was notorious for failing to ticket) or allow rebooking due to national emergency (e.g., coup in Thailand), there were agents who would just book into revenue classes on NW metal. There are times where that is the easiest (or only) way to get the passenger promptly rebooked-- instead of calling inventory management and opening a seat in the appropriate class.

That said, even if that's what DL has done, I would venture a guess that your only benefit will be getting miles. Whenever we called in to subsequently modify any of these "revenue class" awards, the agents always caught that it was originally an award ticket. So when you call to upgrade, even if this is now booked as a "Y" class fare, the agents will likely figure out what happened. Worth a try though...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: National ES
You should be able to see your fare class and rules by pulling up your PNR on nwa.com and clicking on the ticket number to view the receipt. Then you will have all the information you need to find out if an upgrade is possible.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Stripe
A round-trip coach award between the US and Asia requires 70K Skymiles on SQ and 60K on NW. I'd say you're at least due a refund of 5K miles for the "downgrade" to NW on the return.

As to your original question, call up the reservation online and look at your ticket receipt (click on the E-Ticket Number on the reservation summary). What is the fare basis code for your new flights?
Not only that, but there should be some compensation for having to sit in Y on a NW 747, compared to the better quality seats, food, etc. on SQ Y.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:03 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I've had an award reservation show as Y. It was domestic, but I, too, was wondering if it was some sort of mistake and if my fare would be considered as full Y. Even tho it shows as Y, everyone can see that it is not paid Y. (Besides, not EVERY Y fare is UGable.) So I'm afraid you're SOL here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.