Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Report your Successes and Failures with the new Platinum SWUs on NW/KL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report your Successes and Failures with the new Platinum SWUs on NW/KL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have been trying to use one of these for months on either a trip from the Middle East to AMS or Europe to the U.S.

Struck out three times. I could not find any availability (by that I mean confirmed at booking) on a single flight from DOH, DXB, or anywhere else that KL flies in the Gulf to AMS over several weekends that I tried over the summer. Nor could I find any availability on any flight to the U.S. in late November. [Edited to add: I see now from another post that they're not applicable to a KL flight to the Middle East unless it's part of a trip originating from or destined to the U.S.]

Yesterday I tried to buy a trip from MXP (or AMS) to the U.S. (to/via LAX, SFO, JFK, EWR, IAD, DTW, MSP, ATL, etc.), and the agent told me that not a single trans-Atlantic flight on KL, NW, or DL showed availability on my requested dates (12/23 or 12/24). So, on dozens of flights per day, there were plenty of M/B/Y fares (and Z and other business classes, for that matter), but not one on which she could confirm an upgrade.

This was even when I was willing to pay in the $2,500-$2,800 range for an M or B fare (compared to the $1,500 range for the lowest fares). The business class fares started at around $3,500, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Instead I booked a United flight from MXP to the west coast for less than $1,100, with both trans-Atlantic segments operated by UA, with the System-Wide Upgrades clearing for all segments immediately. Oh, well, there went my last chance to re-qualify for Platinum on NW.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So was told last night by a PE agent that actually you can WL a PMU. She indicated that you can WL both the PMU AND for mileage UG's. However, she also informed me that the WL has temporarily been disabled until the systems are integrated (similar to AS UG's, Award UG's, Perkchoice) etc. Wonder if that is true or not.
I have no idea whether that is true or not, but it does seem like the entire elite programs has been wait-listed of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.