Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Report your Successes and Failures with the new Platinum SWUs on NW/KL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,

The 2009 Platinum Elite upgrade certificates are being issued this week, and a few FT'ers have already reported success using them on flights to/from Hawaii. Please post your successes and failures with using these certificates. In your post, I suggest you include your flight segments (as many as you feel comfortable sharing), month of travel, purchased fare class, and success/failure, as well as any other details you'd like to share (such as ease/difficulty with redemption).
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: DELTA
Snagged Two WBC Seats on NW 624 (HNL-MSP) Using My P503's

I'm taking the wife to Kona, Hawaii in the fall. I decided to go MSP-HNL-KOA so we could "luxuriate" in those WBC seats on the A330. I snagged two WBC seats on NW 624 HNL-MSP using my PU503's (on the same day I received them). I purchased Coach V Fare tickets and was able to snag these two seats. No seats in R Class on the outbound MSP-HNL on NW 625 yet; I'll be watching the R class availability closely as our trip date approaches.

-A
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:08 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Just booked MKE-PEK in April with an M fare of $1802 (cheapest coach would have half that price). I was able to get my preferred routing through DTW on the way out, but could not get it coming back -- though in reality the return given me is faster through MSP, but I get fewer miles. No problems at all. The agent said that I was second person that she had handled with the new upgrades -- she said that she had had to read through all the rules with the first person, but with me she was quick and efficient. Excellent service. I was going to make this trip in coach, but for the relatively little extra $$ to get the extra miles and the comfort it was a no brainer to me.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Some of these have already been discussed in the original thread. For example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...l#post11334681
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Failure to upgrade on M class in July BKK-NRT-LAX-DTW

I just tried to use one of these on BKK-NRT-LAX-DTW. The upgrade class U is available on NRT-LAX and R class is available LAX-DTW, but the NW agent said I could not use the SWU unless U/R class was available on all segments. Hard to believe -- I would be happy upgrading just NRT-LAX-DTW but the agent said to do this, I would have to cancel my ticket and book two tickets (BKK-NRT and NRT-DTW), which was very costly.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I just tried to use one of these on BKK-NRT-LAX-DTW. The upgrade class U is available on NRT-LAX and R class is available LAX-DTW, but the NW agent said I could not use the SWU unless U/R class was available on all segments. Hard to believe -- I would be happy upgrading just NRT-LAX-DTW but the agent said to do this, I would have to cancel my ticket and book two tickets (BKK-NRT and NRT-DTW), which was very costly.
If at first you don't get the answer you want, thank the agent and hang up. Wait a couple of minutes and call back.

I do not believe the entire itinerary needs upgrade space for you to use an SWU. There's really no reason why they would process these any differently than a mileage upgrade. I've used miles in the past to upgrade BKK-NRT-SEA where NRT-SEA was the only available portion. Still cost the same amount of miles.

-RM
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:36 am

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Anybody know if these certs are a substitute for Hawaii residents? In the past, we get upgrade certs for Hawaii-USA mainland, upgradable 7 days out.

The current upgrade certificates, PU503, are rather restrictive to international travellers (better usage out of the SWU's earned from the 120K EQM threshold, PU465). The way I see it, these upgrade certificates are just a mileage-upgrade substitute. It's a quick fix to increase revenue by requiring travellers purchasing higher fares.

*sigh* I miss the old NW program.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Are these certs applicable for Europe-India flights? Does anyone have experiences to share before I call up the Plat line to inquire?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by kkua
Anybody know if these certs are a substitute for Hawaii residents? In the past, we get upgrade certs for Hawaii-USA mainland, upgradable 7 days out.

The current upgrade certificates, PU503, are rather restrictive to international travellers (better usage out of the SWU's earned from the 120K EQM threshold, PU465). The way I see it, these upgrade certificates are just a mileage-upgrade substitute. It's a quick fix to increase revenue by requiring travellers purchasing higher fares.

*sigh* I miss the old NW program.
Yep. This has been discussed in detail. They are far more restrictive than the PU465 SWU's. The only pro of the PU503 over a mileage upgrade is that you can use them on "M" fares; which are not mileage upgradeable.

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Are these certs applicable for Europe-India flights? Does anyone have experiences to share before I call up the Plat line to inquire?
If you read the T&C closely, they are not valid for Europe-India.

From the T&C:
Valid for use on international one-way travel on published fares to/from Europe. Japan, Asia and Micronesia are valid via Northwest's transpacific flights only.
KLM: KLM designated and operated flights are only permitted on flights between the U.S. and Europe, India, Africa and the Middle East.

That says to me if you want to use them on KL flights that you have to originate in the US or be going to the US. It also says that if you want to use them to Asia you must be on NW TransPac flights; in other words, AMS-BKK/NRT/ICN, etc. is not valid on KL.

You can always call and ask the agent. It doesn't hurt.

-RM
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Thanks Rob, had missed that one...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM
Got my upgrades today.

Was able to upgrade NRT-SEA on my outbound in mid March, but no seats available yet on return from SEA-NRT. Return is toward the end of March, so will try back later.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:09 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yep. This has been discussed in detail. They are far more restrictive than the PU465 SWU's. The only pro of the PU503 over a mileage upgrade is that you can use them on "M" fares; which are not mileage upgradeable.
-RM

Sorry RobOnLI, I didn't understand since I've been away from this forum for over 3 months. I know the PU465 vs the PU503 discussion; however, does anybody know if this is going to replace the PU464 Hawaii-mainland upgrades or will Hawaiian residents get an additional set?

Regards,
KK
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:24 am

Programs: DELTA
Talking Bapri-Bap!

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Bapri-Bap! That would defintely be a kanjus way to upgrade!

-A (a.k.a "Kamchor")

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Mar 4, 2009 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:43 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
This would make sense if this were a single flight number (same thing, at one time, with domestic EUAs?). Is it a single flight number?

If you are required to have availability for all segments in one direction, this make it near impossible, especially if you're on 3 or 4 segment routing.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
This would make sense if this were a single flight number (same thing, at one time, with domestic EUAs?). Is it a single flight number?

If you are required to have availability for all segments in one direction, this make it near impossible, especially if you're on 3 or 4 segment routing.
Agreed! Each flight is a different flight number. I called NW in Japan two times and got the same answer. I then wrote a TTU and received the following response (and note the strange title of the person who replied):
Dear FlytheTail,

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

When reservations checks for upgrade space, they need to view your point
of origin to destination for availability and then upgrade you based on
the inventory available. Individual segments are not viewed for the
upgrade space.

Thank you for choosing Northwest, KLM, Delta and our SkyTeam Alliance
airlines. We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve
your travel needs.

Sincerely,

-omitted-
Executive Staff Assistant
Northwest Airlines
So, I guess it's all or nothing?!?! When I get back to the US in a few weeks, I guess I'll try again. A real bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.