Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Likelihood our flight canceled or disrupted toward end of month (july)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood our flight canceled or disrupted toward end of month (july)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mike_plat
Steenland will be gone before this can happen again in August. I am sure the outside directors are breathing down his neck something fierce as they ponder the possibility of a wave of securities lawsuits over the faltering performance of their newly issued shares.
1. Not sure about NW, but "outside directors" are rarely that independent.

2. Security lawsuits based on "faltering performance" will rarely, if ever, succeed unless there is fraud or a violation of security regulations.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by yogimax
1. Not sure about NW, but "outside directors" are rarely that independent.

2. Security lawsuits based on "faltering performance" will rarely, if ever, succeed unless there is fraud or a violation of security regulations.

Re #1: They get more independent as the cesspool deepens.

Re #2: Whether such a lawsuit succeeds doesn't matter. No director is going to want to sit through videotaped depositions regarding his/her role in buying off on a business plan that is not based in reality.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Socrates wrote"...my question for you is how many NW flights have you taken this year? I've reached gold via both miles and segments (coming close to plat on segments these days)...Given you're history of posts I believe it's fair for everyone to know if you actually are flying red tail or not"
Please observe the TOS's.Address the issues rather than attack other posters.Thanks.
I'm sorry you viewed this question as an attack, it was not meant as one and I do apologize if you took it that way......

But I do believe we have a right to know if you are speaking from experience by using NWA's service as often as we are, are you an outsider looking in or with us on board the planes several times a week? For better or worse you have set a precident for yourself elsewhere, but again this is not an attack but a request for clarification on your point of view

Originally Posted by sxf24
The 90 you refer to is flight hours, which generally excludes other time spent working before the aircraft door closes for departure and after it is re-opened upon landing. While the very senior widebody pilots who fly international turns have a very favorable work/life balance, narrowbody pilots "work" as much or more than the average person.
I fully understand that...and my personal 90 hours are billable hours only, they dont include travel time, time away from home etc...I think many of us spend just as much time away from home if not more than many of the pilots do (and as you point out many of us also spend much less time at home than the International Pilots do)

Originally Posted by tev9999
I have not been affected, but my understanding was that people WERE being put on other carriers.
having experienced it first hand and ending up with a "trip in vain" I do know they are putting you on other carriers....I was routed on both AA & CO at one point or another

Why is it absurd?If no one chalenges them on this them the airlines will never change the eggregious behavior they have displayed lately.
Cases have been won in small claims court for exacactly this.
They are acting in bad faith and should be chalenged on this.
You ask why it's absurd, because when you purchase a ticket you enter into a contract, the terms of that contract are spelled out in the contract of carriage, it spells out exactly what will occur in this type of situation, they are living up to the contract, just because you dont like the fact that this is occurring doesn't give you legal grounds to file a suit, it would be dismissed immediately, if you filed enough of these the airline could go after you for filing frivolous suits, if the court found you guilty of this you would be liable for the airlines costs which were incurred by your actions

Last edited by slippahs; Jul 28, 2007 at 7:40 pm Reason: post consolidated from 4 -> 1
Old Jul 28, 2007, 7:58 pm

Is 90 Hours Actually 90 Hours of Flight Time?

A lot has been made of 90 flight hours being excessive and how it bumps up against the FAA 100/1000 hour max. Is the NW/Union flight hour different from the FAA. Somewhere in the back of my mind lies the possibility of hours given for overnight stays etc. If true, pilots would be more like the above business man in hours worked. AND maybe the union should allow willing pilots to get a little OT.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Although I consider Socrates's question far from pertinant to the question/situation at hand let me state that I do have an active,recent, interest in NWA-I will leave it at that.It is totally irrelevant-and might be considered a smokescreen to hide the topic at hand-whether I fly NWA as much as the other poster to this board.I am a NWA customer-that is enough.

Unlike some posters here I am fortunate to have access to a major international airport which is serviced by all major airlines.

Bringing up the fact that I gave "set a precedent for myself elsewhere" might be seen by some as an attempt to shade my postings here in a less than favorable light.
Again,please address the issues rather than attempt to analyze other posters thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:38 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by sany2
I am going to be out of the country for the majority of august, with some flights in early august. If flights are cancelled (specifically when traveling in WBC), how accommodating are Worldclub agents in putting fliers in business class on other carriers. I have begun to cary a list of all the airlines and flight numbers flying on the routes I am taking, from each connecting point. I haven;t had it happen yet, but I plan on showing the agent the options and asking them to put me in business or first on one of the flights. What are the chances of success should this happen?
It's always a good idea to be prepared, that and politely suggesting those alternatives, can make your life (and that of the agents helping you) much easier. I used to travel with the current pocket OAG in the '80s, and while I was waiting in line to be rebooked, I'd work out my options. I'd ask what they had planned for me, and if I liked one of my options better, I'd simply say how about (insert my ideas here). Usually, if it was available I got it. I've even had them rebook several of the other pax the same way.

I've found the WC to be especially helpful, generally if they can do something for you, they will.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:58 pm

Here is a link to an "Internal Northwest memo to employees" posted by the Detroit News, concerning the cancellations

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../BIZ/707280304
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:46 am

let me state that I do have an active,recent, interest in NWA-I will leave it at that.It is totally irrelevant-and might be considered a smokescreen to hide the topic at hand-whether I fly NWA as much as the other poster to this board.I am a NWA customer-that is enough.
It's perfectly relevant.

If you don't fly NW more than once or twice per year, you don't really have the amount of experiences with the airline that the rest of us have and have so much less to draw upon when forming an opinion. Yes, if you've ever given NW a dime, then you are a customer. But for the people who fly NW several times per week or more, their experiences are going to be a lot more accurate since they have more "data" to pull from. That can't be argued or denied.

As for your "active, recent, interest in NWA", if you have friends or family that work for NWA, perhaps that also clouds your perception if you or they feel like they aren't getting a fair deal from NWA in terms of their employment. And if you work for NWA or used to, then that lends even more to the idea that you may have other biases at work besides simply traveling the airline frequently like many people on this board do.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
It's perfectly relevant.

If you don't fly NW more than once or twice per year, you don't really have the amount of experiences with the airline that the rest of us have and have so much less to draw upon when forming an opinion. Yes, if you've ever given NW a dime, then you are a customer. But for the people who fly NW several times per week or more, their experiences are going to be a lot more accurate since they have more "data" to pull from. That can't be argued or denied.

As for your "active, recent, interest in NWA", if you have friends or family that work for NWA, perhaps that also clouds your perception if you or they feel like they aren't getting a fair deal from NWA in terms of their employment. And if you work for NWA or used to, then that lends even more to the idea that you may have other biases at work besides simply traveling the airline frequently like many people on this board do.
I find the above post to be-again-irrelevent to the topic at hand.I,and other posters here on flyertalk can obtain all of the information we need about a certain airline/hotel chain/travel topic without having to be frequent users of the product.This is one of the joys of flyertalk and of the world wide web.
The obfuscation demonstrated in post such as these are of no help whatsoever,and also reek of what I like to call "last wordiness".A personality trai that is,fortunately,avoided on flyertalk by the use of the ignore button.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: NW: In the back of the bus
Why is it absurd?If no one chalenges them on this them the airlines will never change the eggregious behavior they have displayed lately.
Cases have been won in small claims court for exacactly this.
They are acting in bad faith and should be chalenged on this.
I don't want to call complete BS on your above statement, there may be a populist judge who disregards the terms of contracts entered into. But, it's pretty hard to argue with this, from the Contract of Carriage page 105-106:

"FAILURE TO OPERATE ON SCHEDULE
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROVIDED IN THIS RULE, NW SHALL NOT BE
LIABLE FOR FAILURE TO OPERATE ANY FLIGHT ACCORDING TO
SCHEDULE, OR FOR CHANGING THE SCHEDULE OF ANY NW FLIGHT,
WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO THE PASSENGER. THIS EXCLUSION
FROM LIABILITY INCLUDES ACTUAL DAMAGES, CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF DAMAGES (WHATEVER THEY MAY BE
CALLED OR HOWEVER THEY ARE DESCRIBED). THE PROVISIONS OF
THIS RULE APPLY ONLY TO PASSENGERS WHO HAVE A VALID TICKET
REFLECTING A CONFIRMED RESERVATION ON A FLIGHT WHICH THEY DO
NOT USE DUE TO SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY (AS DEFINED IN A)8)
BELOW."

http://www.nwa.com/plan/contract2.pdf

Is there a MINIMUM amount of flight time that pilots are entitled to under their contract? I don't want this to be a labor vs. management question/statement. But, based on a purely economic view of the situation, an economic view being the study of scarcity, isn't what the pilots are doing counterproductive in the long haul? If the pilots as a group all picked up the extra time the company needed them to, it seems as if NW would not have had to bring in new hires/furloughed pilots. So now what happens in the lean season with all the new pilots on board? Without NW sending many back on furlough, which would be a costly proposition, too many hours turns quickly into too few. It would seem the pilots would want LESS competition for flying hours, rather than more.

My 2 pennies
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Yes, there are minimum flight hours. However, at Northwest I'm sure that nobody flies these minimums. The only realisticaly possible pilots that do so are the new hires at the regionals.

90 flight hours may not seem like a lot, but when you add in the FAA mandated rest hours plus all the rest of the time pilots are preparing for flying, it gets to be very long. When they do get true off time (not just FAA mandated rest), minus the sleeping that needs to be caught up on, there is not much time left to do things with or for their family. And pilots don't have desks or blackberrys that they are able to communicate with people back home to solve little problems that require their attention; they are busy doing the required procedures or actual flying, and more often than not can't divert their attention away from the job.

There is a good article in the StarTrib about the pilot market: http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1328757.html
Old Jul 29, 2007, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are willing not to see your family for 4-5 weeks at a stretch, theres plenty of work for A32S and 737NG flight deck crew for good pay in emerging markets. I would definitely look into that before tossing a pilots license and becoming a truck driver...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
update:

7/24: 43
7/25: 44
7/26: 48
7/27: 68 (as of 4.29pEST!)
7/28: 13 in advance

Not as bad as in june, but worrisome none the less...
7/27: 125
7/28: 178
7/29: 165 as 4.05pm EST
7/30: 13

and I'm flying NW tomorrow... SOS...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I would definitely look into that before tossing a pilots license and becoming a truck driver...
The point in the article was that he decided to become the truck driver in order to see his family more. Going to be a pilot in an emerging market would only worsen the situation.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
The point in the article was that he decided to become the truck driver in order to see his family more. Going to be a pilot in an emerging market would only worsen the situation.
Since there are truck driver jobs that would be away from home more than a pilot, he obviously limited his search to the ones that would get him home each night. He could have done the same in the airline business. A side question: Are the non revs madder at the "sick" pilots than the paying passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.