Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

crying babies in FC is one thing but...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAt, NWA PLat

Dogs. I want to first say that I love animals. But they all have their place in society. One of those places is not on an airplane. I had a 630 am flight out of San Diego last saturday, I really wanted to sleep along with everybody else in FC that day, except a lady had her dog that seemed to be telepathic. As soon as I would hit that magical level of sleep, you know when it really counts! The dog knew it and would bark. everytime. For about the first hour and a half. When the lady went to the restroom, the dog went crazy until she returned. This happend twice. Sleep was just not going to happen.

Again, I love animals. I would bring my own pets with me everywhere if I could, but I understand that when I travel, its not all about me. So please, leave the damn dogs at home, sedate them, or check them with the other luggage!

Sorry if I sound insensitive in anyway.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Typically dogs are not allowed unless the dog is to assist a visually-impaired pax, and these dogs are typically very mild-mannered.

Do a search to see if you can find the story of a US Air first class pax that brought a pet pig onboard.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:59 am

I see passengers often carrying those little yappers in shoulder bags meant to carry cats. I've never been bothered by them on the plane, but it'd be heck to have to endure the thing barking when I am trying to sleep.

If your tiny dog tends to make a lot of noise, please be courteous to your fellow passengers and check Fluffy in!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by car_guy1
Dogs. I want to first say that I love animals. But they all have their place in society. One of those places is not on an airplane. I had a 630 am flight out of San Diego last saturday, I really wanted to sleep along with everybody else in FC that day, except a lady had her dog that seemed to be telepathic. As soon as I would hit that magical level of sleep, you know when it really counts! The dog knew it and would bark. everytime. For about the first hour and a half. When the lady went to the restroom, the dog went crazy until she returned. This happend twice. Sleep was just not going to happen.
Others think and feel differently... such as the person with the animal.

Any animal of any size can be an assist-animal (physical or emotional), when prescribed by a doctor (ok, there's technicalities in there, you get the point), as long as it doesn't interfere with any FAR regarding safety and/or operation (presumption).

Animals can travel as carry-on, if of the proper size (has to be able to fit in a carrier that can fit under seat), in a proper seat (has to have underseat storage in front of the pax seat), and there's room on the plane (limit 3 animals under-seat per airframe?).

(btw, I think we think alike, these are just reminders of known items)

Steve B.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
That must have been pretty annoying. If it's any consolation, a crying baby could have had the same effect.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
Benadryl: works for both crying babies AND yappy dogs.

From a mom of 3 kids in 2 years....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by car_guy1
So please, leave the damn dogs at home, sedate them, or check them with the other luggage!

Sorry if I sound insensitive in anyway.
Agreed! Two weeks ago, my & my companion's seats were covered in long, white dog hair. It was disgusting and actually aggravated our allergies during the 5-hour flight. The aircraft was completely full, so we couldn't move.

As a common courtesy, people should think about how their actions as well as their pets influence the comfort of others. I think most of us on FT are sensitive to that, but obviously many others aren't.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Any animal of any size can be an assist-animal (physical or emotional), when prescribed by a doctor (ok, there's technicalities in there, you get the point), as long as it doesn't interfere with any FAR regarding safety and/or operation (presumption).
Just like anyone can get a doctor to sign a slip for a "handicapped" parking permit, anyone can talk some doctor into prescribing an emotional comfort animal. Why not just give them a stuffed bear??
Don't get me started on the motorized scooters from Medicare scam...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Typically dogs are not allowed unless the dog is to assist a visually-impaired pax, and these dogs are typically very mild-mannered.

Do a search to see if you can find the story of a US Air first class pax that brought a pet pig onboard.
Sorry, that is incorrect. A passenger is allowed to bring aboard, with advance reservations, a pet as long as it fits in a carry-on kennel. There is an additional fee of $80 one-way for doing so, with the exception of service animals (which includes animals that a doctor's letter states are required for emotional support - ie: the pot-bellied pig).
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spleenstomper
Benadryl: works for both crying babies AND yappy dogs.

From a mom of 3 kids in 2 years....
Unfortunately, Benadryl has the opposite effect on my kid.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
Just like anyone can get a doctor to sign a slip for a "handicapped" parking permit, anyone can talk some doctor into prescribing an emotional comfort animal. Why not just give them a stuffed bear??
Don't get me started on the motorized scooters from Medicare scam...
Sorry but your post deserves a response...

1. The doctors I know will absolutely not lie and endanger their certification by giving "anyone" a handicapped parking permit.

2. The same is true for your comment regarding emotional comfort animals.

3. I truly believe that no one in our country who is handicapped should be forced to use one of the old hand driven wheelchairs. Those who are confined to a wheelchair are truly in need. To blindly accuse those who have motorized chairs as being scammers is over the top.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yogimax
Those who are confined to a wheelchair are truly in need. To blindly accuse those who have motorized chairs as being scammers is over the top.
The post you were responding to was wrong by blindly asserting that the whole motorized wheelchair thing is a scam.

Your post is wrong by blindly asserting that everyone who uses a wheelchair needs one.

The reality is in the middle: Some people who use them really need them, while others in fact are scammers....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:34 pm

Oh come on.

Your first class experience hasn't really been ruined until a passenger's seeing-eye-horse takes a crap on the bulkhead:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1052...tml?mod=COLUMN

Puts things in perspective, huh?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Feel bad for the OP; been there all too many times myself and it's not always kids or dogs. Adults, including FFs can be just as obnoxious.

An incident shared with me by a FA on US where a couple with a kid who kept kicking the seat in front (this was in coach). This was not the stretching out bump but rather "field-goal" kinda kicks. After a few of them, the passenger in front turned back and politely asked the kid to stop. When he didn't the passenger asked the parent then the flight attendant to do something. The dad's response was something like "he's a kid, that's what they do. what the hell's wrong with you?". A couple of minutes later, it turned into a fist fight between the guys.

While I absolutely do not condone the actions of the passenger in front of the family, I wouldn't even blink if the parents were tossed off the plane from 35K feet. We'll just get a kid to do give the last push. After all, it's a kid, it's what they do.

Bottom line is, bring what you want onboard (within FAA/airline rules) but don't forget you are sharing the space with a lot of other people. Be considerate, even if you have to fake it.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: NWA
Originally Posted by themicah
Oh come on.

Your first class experience hasn't really been ruined until a passenger's seeing-eye-horse takes a crap on the bulkhead:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1052...tml?mod=COLUMN

Puts things in perspective, huh?
My wife is wondering why I can't quit laughing at this one :-)

amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.