Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NEWS: The Overall Northwest To File Chpt 11 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWS: The Overall Northwest To File Chpt 11 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:22 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by bk42
Wait, since when was Northwest number five in the nation? I knew they went to #5 in the world after the AF-KLM hook-up, but not in the nation.

Anyways, yeah, it'll probably be in chp 11 in a couple of days.

I saw something interesting during all the mechanics hoopla, that NW wanted only 1,200 or so mechanics left. 300 were to be based in Duluth, and the remaining 900 were to be split between Minneapolis and Detroit. Notice something missing? Yeah, they didn't say they'd leave anyone in Memphis. You think they're going to cut Memphis in chp 11?
No I don't think they will cut Memphis. The article is talking about Mechanics that are EMPLOYED directly by NW. NW will still have mechancis at other airports, but they will be employed by third party vendors, such as Swissair, or other airlines. I imagine since FedEx's Headquarters is at the MEM airport NW has either contracted FEDEX, or Mesaba or Pinnacle to do the Maintance on the few mainline planes that still fly there. Airlink companies have their own mechanics and NW's approach at MEM is to use the two Airlink companies as much as possible.

I think at all the satelite sites NW has hired other airlines or other third party vendors to do their work. Even though DL de-hubbed DFW they still have a presence and they share the terminal with NW, I have heard that NW hired DL to do the MX on its planes at DFW.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Status of an ECV in chp 11

I have an ECV worth just over $200, and I'm begining to wonder if I should use it before a chp 11 filing.....like right now.

I'm don't know much about chp 11, but I always hear that the creditors take a hit. With an ECV, am I a creditor of NW, and does that place the value of my ECV at risk?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:03 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by bk42
Wait, since when was Northwest number five in the nation? I knew they went to #5 in the world after the AF-KLM hook-up, but not in the nation.
...depends how you count.
By revenue, NW is #4 in US-based carriers, and 5th or 6th in the world: certainly behind AA, UA, DL and AF-KLM, and possibly behind BA or LH (not sure at all!).
By passengers flown, #5 in US as I believe Southwest moved more passengers within the US than NW did.
It is also possible to count by passenger-mile, number of pilots etc.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ooooo, maybe Southwest or Jet Blue will buy them out.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Donna49
I have an ECV worth just over $200, and I'm begining to wonder if I should use it before a chp 11 filing.....like right now.

I'm don't know much about chp 11, but I always hear that the creditors take a hit. With an ECV, am I a creditor of NW, and does that place the value of my ECV at risk?
As long as NW is flying, you'll be able to use it. In theory, all of us with miles in the bank are creditors too, and history shows we'll be able to use them no differently as before a potential filing.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:58 am

I think NW has seen, and learned from, the approach US and UA have taken in BR. That doesn't mean that they go in with risks of never coming out. With fuel at current levels and unlikely to return to anywhere near what their business model is based on, going inot BR will allow them to speed up the changes they need to make to decrease costs. Will we lose some routes and see frequency changes, probably. There certainly aren't many more service cuts to be made....
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by travelerjim
CloudsBelow...Had you been watching the large chunks of NWAC stock..in the millions of shares - being sold for the past 12 months by the NW Chairman, CEO, Officers and Board Members ...one would guesstimate that they were most interested in saving some of the value for themselves and leave the employees holding the bag so to speak...as well as abandoning the shareholders - for the shareholders will have zilch value when NWAC comes out of bk.
TravelerJim
I'm not a mgmt guy. I have been a casual observer on the NWAC sell off. Just wanted to point out that while millions were sold off at $6-11, there are millions still held at $1.57. Executives get a lot of stock options in lieu of straight payouts. They affix a "dollar in hand" amount to those options while negotiating compensation. I'm sure they were not thinkning of shares in the $1.50 range when accepting the option offer. Nothing worse than riding stocks down the drain ... I was once positioned in large Telcos and IT, look where that ended - I've been there.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:24 am

what will happen to our miles?

if they file BK
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
The partys over NW is bankrupt

NW will be bankrupt today after market closes. I feel sorry for the nuts that bought stock today.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Check out the following post (go to post #3)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471756

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
My Oh My - it was just a few weeks ago that some were touting NW stock as the next Microsoft. It's actually a good lesson. Never listen to investment advice given on bbs, be it this one or yahoo.

Last edited by yogimax; Sep 15, 2005 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by missterious9
if they file BK
Nothing.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax
My Oh My - it was just a few weeks that some were touting NW stock as the next Microsoft. It's actually a good lesson. Never listen to investment advice given on bbs, be it this one or yahoo.
And how does this thread differ from the earlier ones touting NW stock as Microsoft?
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:39 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by rwill11
NW will be bankrupt today after market closes.
When the board meeting is over, and the lawyers go to court, then it is. AFAIK, it ain't yet.

Originally Posted by rwill11
I feel sorry for the nuts that bought stock today.
I don't feel sorry for them; they're betting on the dead-cat-bounce. I feel sorry for those who bought in late August, at over 5. That is, unless the reason for their buying was euphoria over the success of NWA against the union, which would have to count as a classic case of "doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons".
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by wldtrvlr
No I don't think they will cut Memphis. The article is talking about Mechanics that are EMPLOYED directly by NW. NW will still have mechancis at other airports, but they will be employed by third party vendors, such as Swissair, or other airlines. I imagine since FedEx's Headquarters is at the MEM airport NW has either contracted FEDEX, or Mesaba or Pinnacle to do the Maintance on the few mainline planes that still fly there. Airlink companies have their own mechanics and NW's approach at MEM is to use the two Airlink companies as much as possible.

I think at all the satelite sites NW has hired other airlines or other third party vendors to do their work. Even though DL de-hubbed DFW they still have a presence and they share the terminal with NW, I have heard that NW hired DL to do the MX on its planes at DFW.
I guess that's certainly possible, hire vendors to do only the basic maintenance in MEM. The more serious maintenance would go to DLH, MSP or DTW, and the heaviest stuff being outsourced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.