Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NEWS: The Overall Northwest To File Chpt 11 Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWS: The Overall Northwest To File Chpt 11 Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Isn't Airlines filing for Chapter 11 the "in" thing to do these days? =)
"everyones doing it".
Yes. And regardless of who (management or labor) or what (the competition brought in by deregulation or high oil prices), it is very likely that NWA will emerge from bancruptcy stronger than before. Consider the example of Worldcom. It went into bancruptcy due to management illegalities and emerged a very strong player with nearly none of the pre-filing debt (or pension obligations).

The recent decision allowing UA to jetison its huge pension burden undoubtedly was music to the ears of the other 5 big airlines.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Problem is, the investment community has soured on airline bankruptcies - note that US' merger plan with HP has no major Wall Street bank backing, United's BK financing is virtually all-debt, and DL will barely get 20 cents on every dollar of assets for usable DIP cash.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by wask
AA's finances aren't that good either. Personally I dont think AA can afford to buy NWA even at $1.50 now.
I don't think raising the capital to buy NW is AA's biggest problem.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
I'm personally not worried.

First UA, then US, (then US again...) ATA...whose next?

Most likely DH, DL and NW...everyone has been saying it for months but will any of them actually fold? Maybe, but considering that the previous 3 are all still around in some capacity tells me that I shouldn't be scared that NW is gonna stop flying anytime soon, bankruptcy or not

Now I'd be worried if i was the owner of NW stock
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>agree! Welcome NWA and Delta!

Just as long as it doesn't mean I have to start flying "in arrears" of the aircraft!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Delta GM, CO GE
A couple of points here:

1). NWA will try and file (if it can get the financing lined up and the New York Times online suggests this is probably going to happen) a prepackaged Chap. 11. In this case things will be as they are with UA and US Air.

2). The catch will be as follows: a). Long-term Chap.11 is very uncompetitive e.g., United and US Air (the latter for the second time in four years) have been under government sanctioned and protective "reorganization" for quite some time ....and this protection made it impossible, in the long-run, for NWA and Delta to compete. Anything short of prepackaged and planned Chapter 11 with a very short exit time, will run into problems.

3). There is overcapacity in the business: creditors that don't get on board with the deal that NWA is going to offer them ... in this sense the debtor has real power... may move for a Chapter 7, on the same principle that the AMFA walked out of talks earlier in the week i.e., "how long can you stay with dead horse"? On this view, liquidation may be the best option for some creditors (the pension plan folks especially).

4). In many respects Chap. 11 has become the route for a species of re-regulation of the business as a whole; hence, some of the remarks above are correct: all airlines will end up in some form of protection (save, perhaps Southwest, Jetblue etc.) but these smallish point-to-point airlines cannot keep the economy running in the fashion that the big airlines do [what is in the cargo hold of the large "legacy" airlines, to small towns all over the country, is primarily NOT our luggage].

I hope it works out, I have always had a relatively nice experince flying NWA and would like to keep doing so. And out here in Western Michigan, if we lose NWA it is going to get VERY expensive to fly!

Best, Andy

Last edited by Himmelhund; Sep 13, 2005 at 8:16 pm
Old Sep 13, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Northwest Misses $42 million in Debt Payments - Bankruptcy Vote Wed Morning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050914/...west_mechanics

Well, at least us DL flyers get a preview of what is going to happen at to us in a few weeks. Best of luck NW friends, we're with you. ^
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
If they have to file, it's better now than after Mid October

With the better terms for filing bankruptcy now, I think this is the best time to file.

The precedence has been made by NW's competitor, United and US airways' bankruptcy filing that its goals are fairly clear on what type of concessions NW and probably DL will need to emerge as a viable competitive company.

From the example set by United Airlines, I think NW will also default on pension payments, and seek similar arrangements.

I just hope that downsizing won't be a part of NW's bankruptcy plan.

Jiburi
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Derrico
Also regarding AS and CO.. I am pretty sure that they both made a profit last quarter, but with fuel prices what they are, I guess one never knows.
It takes more than one profitable quarter to avert BK. Just 6 months ago, NW looked to be in good shape. They had billions of cash on hand and were seen as one of strongest majors to survive these tumultuous times. The few majors that haven't filed for BK are not in as good of a position now as NW was 6 months ago.

Any bets on CO or AA going BK in the next year? I suppose it depends a lot on fuel prices (as always).
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
....and what's at stake?

Then on the other hand, does anyone know what, if any, assets are at stakes? In particular, I find the following items of value at Northwest.

1) NW/KLM Alliance
2) Flying rights to and beyond Japan (Is that Fifth Amendment Flying right)?
3) Agreements with Boeing for 787
4) Agreements with Airbus for current and future 333, 332, 320, 319, etc
5) Hubs at DTW, MSP, MEM, NRT, AMS
6) Operation at IND, SEA, HNL, LAX, SFO, LGA, JFK etc....
7) Veto rights associated with NW/CO Alliance
8) Little of Fuel Hedge they have going....
9) Retirements of aircrafts.....D10, 747 and DC9s??

There are probably more, but those are what I can think of....

Jiburi
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
The DC9s have got to go.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
At The Bell:
Heck, everybody lost their shorts today:

HOT .. 59.20 -0.30 (0.50%) - 786,300
AVL .. 34.05 -1.06 (3.02%) - 294,900
CAL .. 12.60 -0.48 (3.67%) - 4,580,900
DAL .... 0.78 -0.07 (8.24%) - 33,210,200
PNCL .. 8.29 -1.39 (14.36%) - 850,038
NWAC . 1.57 -1.74 (52.57%) - 98,083,693

Should probably be more concerned about DAL getting delisted.
/.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by rdg_dc
The DC9s have got to go.
What's been said before should be said again - I'd much rather fly on a DC9 than a jungle jet any day! Of course the airline companies would disagree completely.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:29 pm

Award ticket concerns

A few weeks ago I bought a Award ticket for the xmas holiday, what do you think are the chances that I will still be able to use that ticket?

I am just worried that my ticket will be canceled as soon as NWA files
Chap 11.

Any thoughts???
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:33 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
You should be able to use it but maybe not the current flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.