FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: EB
Originally Posted by Alsacienne
Drive to Jokulsarlon for glaciers (cruise around glaciers)

Might be a very full day ....
Why, we did reykjavik-eyjafjallajøkull, vik, reynidrangar and solheimajølkull + all the waterfalls and back to reykjavik in one day. We even drive a detour back to reykjavik.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:09 am

Why, we did reykjavik-eyjafjallajøkull, vik, reynidrangar and solheimajølkull + all the waterfalls and back to reykjavik in one day. We even drive a detour back to reykjavik.
It all depends on how much daylight you've got, your stamina levels, and how much time you actually spend at sights as distinct from passing by on Route 1! This country merits far more time than you'd initially think. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Northern Lights

Anyone know from experience what the probability of seeing the Northern Lights would be in August? I know that at that time of year, the darkest it will get would be Nautical Twilight for 3-4 hours early in the AM. Anyone see the Lights that time of year? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I'm super excited for the upcoming trip and it seems like we're going at an opportune time with ample daylight, good weather, and good probability of northern lights.

We've added the Solheimajokull glacier en route to Vik to our itinerary, and found a well priced option to stay near Vik at Reynisfjara beach. The cottages got great reviews and look nice! (http://reynisfjara-guesthouses.com/)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:05 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Pretty close to zero as it doesn't really get fully dark at night.

Maybe around the 31st you'll have enough darkness for a fleeting glimpse, but it's really not recommended that you go for the lights until late September/early October at all.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, NW
I had only 3 days in Iceland on my 2011 stopover, so for maximum efficiency, I took advantage of the fact that all the hotels will set up any of the dozens of tours available to visitors. The tour company picks you up from your hotel, so it's very convenient.

I chose Reykjavik City, the half-day Golden Circle, the South Coast, and, on the way to the airport, the Blue Lagoon.

Reykjavik isn't that big--I could probably have walked to all the places we went--but it was an efficient way to see the city in the short time I had, and the guide's historical tales were interesting.

The South Coast tour was the highlight of the trip, although it was 14 hours from pick-up to drop-off, and again, our guide, who gave every spiel and answered questions in both English and German, had a lot of interesting things to say. Lunch at a remote hotel made up of shipping containers (or at least it looked that way) was included, but we had dinner on own on the way back in a simple highway rest stop. The scenery was like nowhere else I had ever been.

Like a lot of other things in Iceland, the Blue Lagoon is in the middle of nowhere on the way to KEF, but it was a good way to relax for a bit before boarding the flight home.

I would love to go again and see more of this unusual country.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ksandness
The South Coast tour was the highlight of the trip, although it was 14 hours from pick-up to drop-off, and again, our guide, who gave every spiel and answered questions in both English and German, had a lot of interesting things to say. Lunch at a remote hotel made up of shipping containers (or at least it looked that way) was included, but we had dinner on own on the way back in a simple highway rest stop. The scenery was like nowhere else I had ever been.
Do you remember what tour operator you used for the South Coast? We're going in August and that sounds interesting.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Pretty close to zero as it doesn't really get fully dark at night.

Maybe around the 31st you'll have enough darkness for a fleeting glimpse, but it's really not recommended that you go for the lights until late September/early October at all.
Thanks for the info...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:34 pm

Iceland Trip - Need Suggestions

Hi everyone! My name is Kenji and I am a new member of flyertalk forums and this will be my first post!

I am currently building my personal itinerary and budget plan for Iceland trip, planned for 2016, and would like to ask for suggestions and recommendations on the following.

Duration: 4 days 3 nights
Country of Origin: Japan
Estimated Budget (including airfare from Japan): JPY200,000 / USD1,665 / ISK 230,670 (Google conversion as of 14th April 2015) plus credit card for back up

1. Time of travel - I want to balance the cost versus beauty of the season. I am aware of a) Iceland's abrupt weather b) summer season is the most expensive time to travel. Therefore I was thinking of travelling in Spring? or Autumn? (which I read despite shorter days, chances of Northern Lights plus cheaper rates?

2. I will be travelling solo, and since to enjoy the Ring Road, my duration of stay will not be enough, and Golden Circle Day tour will be the main option, is renting a car a cost wise decision (though giving me a freedom on schedule) or should I go with a guided tour instead? Are the guided tours pace fast per attraction or a normal relaxed one?

3. In relation to number 2, if I will be going for guided tours, I was thinking of Icelandair tour (since it is an airline company which I think I can trust?) and another one www.extremeiceland.is . Any recommended tour companies or these two will do enough?

4. Outline - Since my stay is short, my overview of travel in Iceland will be the Golden Circle attractions, Reykjavik tour and nightlife maybe (pub crawl solo is it safe?) and add another guided tour if applicable.

5. I am not into much outdoor activities therefore snapping photos of sights is my main purpose. I believe it will make me feel really wanting to come back and yes, maybe for next trip I could opt for longer vacation days and engage into experience more.

6. Accommodation - I opt for a hotel and do not mind the USD300 average price for the duration of my stay.

That's it! I am used to making itineraries and budget plans by myself but it is usually within Asia only and countries with extensive transportation network and never rented a car. This will be my first trip outside Asia if ever, my first rental car and drive on a foreign country (if I chose rental car), therefore I find it quite challenging to search and gather all those data (I feel overwhelmed).

Please let me know of your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:24 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
I'd chose Fall over Spring as in spring leftover snow might still be on some roads. Saying this, but I was there last March and snow piles were no issue at all.

There are many Golden Circle options: Big buses, minibuses, SuperJeeps (go over snow and ice and off road), or rent a car. If you are traveling solo I'd suggest against renting a car, personally, as the landscapes are difficult to appreciate in a group, they are so spectacular. Alone, you might be overcome by the beauty. Also, if anything happens to your vehicle (we had a minor breakdown) it's good to have a second person along. All roads in Iceland are well signed, though, and it's difficult to get lost.

A 1 day Golden Circle tour and a 2 day South Coast tour (to Jokulsarlon) with an overnight en route seems to be the most popular way to do 4 days in Iceland.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:11 pm

Thank you for your response!

So for that short duration, it would be wise to join a guide tour instead for my first visit. I just hope I could get good positions where people will not block the landscape.

I will research about that South Coast tour. Any recommended tour companies aside from those I mentioned above?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:43 am

Guided tour for the whole trip is not needed. Find a good company for the two tours suggested. We used icelandhorizon.is for the Golden Circle a couple years ago and could not have been happier. We did the South Coast on our own with a rental car, but we were doing a longer trip (10 days) and could take our time and drive down every road to see what was there, so did not need a tour guide.

Tripadvisor has great advice on this subject.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Iceland is great.

Your whole budget is 200,000 JPY including airfare? That is very strict!

Hotels in Reykjavik are expensive. Food is also expensive.

Overall, I would highly suggest staying in Reykjavik the whole time, and taking day tours outside the city. There is one company, www.re.is, that runs excellent tours all year long to many places.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

@BostonFlyer1624

I made my re-calculations for the trip, overall will be JPY250,000 with already taking into account the hotel (in Reykjavik) and meals (including the famous hotdogs).

Thank you for your suggestion about www.re.is . I have considered that option to my list as well.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bemusedv
We had a good experience 3 years ago with a company called TourIs. They arrange various types of travel, and might be able to provide what you need. For example

http://www.tour.is/tours/private_tours.php

We had a different type of trip than yours - 2 weeks, and we did our own driving - but TourIs seemed quite flexible. They arranged everything for us, and it all went smoothly. YMMV.

Good luck. I hope you have a great trip. We really enjoyed our time there.
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Iceland for early summer 2016. I'm looking for ideas on a SELF-DRIVE Ring Road tour, probably for 1 week. So here's one from the above post:
http://www.tour.is/tours/self_drive_tours.php

Anyone else have any others to recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.