Search
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Iceland itinerary - what to see and do?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 2:35 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
1 week is not nearly enough time to do a Ring Road tour. You won't have time to eat, to pee, or to "check out that amazing site a couple miles down that side road".

A week is the right amount of time to do a couple quadrants of Iceland and to do them fairly well.

We used that company 2 summers ago for a 10 day Ring Road tour and still felt a bit rushed. But I will tell you their customer service was OUTSTANDING.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:54 am

Iceland !

Any thoughts on how I can fly to Iceland in Dec. 2015 using points/miles ? Live in Houston but could get to any airport (NY, Logan, ORD) using Southwest Airlines. I have Amex points, Ultimate Reward points and points on United. Thank you !!!!
Old May 15, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AY Gold, FB Gold, BT VIP
In December? Are you sure? It could be a bit windy and chilly. Just saying.

It would really help if you had saved Saga Club points, as Icelandair is the main airline serving the USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%...tional_Airport
However, United is a code-sharing partner of Icelandair.

Alternatively, you could fly with budget airline WOW air: http://wowair.us and use your points for the hotel.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:38 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
It's not the cold, it's the darkness. Just over 4 hours of daylight. But NYE in Reykjavik is supposed to be amazing.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Advice Appreciated - Potential first trip to Iceland

Community,

Working on anniversary trip for fall 2016 (trying to maximize Club Carlson points before major devaluation June 1).

We are going to London and Scotland in October 2016. We wanted to add Iceland as we have never been there. I have a few questions.

1. Is October a good time to go? What is weather like and how many daytime hours?
2. Can Reykjavik be a base for a visit? That is where the Club Carlson hotels are located.
3. What would be the highlights to not miss?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
First suggestion: if you are flying to London, fly Icelandair and utilize their stopover.

As for your questions...

1. There is no "bad" time of year to go. Many people love summer as it is warmer, others love winter for the glaciers, snowy landscapes and northern lights. October is excellent in my opinion. The crowds are gone, and you are back in northern lights viewing time frame. Weather will be cold, but not freezing. I go to Iceland about once a month. Last October was excellent, 50s, sunny, some rainy days, but overall just great. Sunlight will be similar to the US at this time - sun up at 7:30/8am, sundown around 5:30/6pm.

2. I always recommend basing yourself in Reykjavik and then taking tours outside the city. There are plenty of tour companies that pick you up at your hotel, drive the 2-3 hours outside the city, and do full-day action packed tours (www.re.is is a good place to look). If you want to get out, take the 40min flight from the domestic airport downtown to Akureyri - the city in the north. Look at Saga Travel for tours from there and eat dinner at Rub 23. The north is great, and flying there is so easy - no security at the domestic airport, quite refreshing.

3. Highlights? Spend a day wandering around Reykjavik. Try the food - fresh fish, lamb, etc are all amazing. The Golden Circle is the touristy route that takes a full day, 3-4 stops, all very cool places and a nice intro to Iceland. Do the Blue Lagoon, yes - it is also very very touristy, but it is VERY well done, and relaxing. Go there either on your way from or to the airport as it is closer to the airport than the city. Spend around 3hrs there. There is an excellent tour called Inside the Volcano that is once in a life time, but very expensive (all of Iceland is expensive...think $100-300/person for full day tours). Glacier hikes on the south shore are also amazing. Super jeep tours are popular are very fun.

Let me know if you need more.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:09 pm

Flying Icelandair is the best experience and a great product. Do you have Barclay Arrival? You can buy flights and then reimburse them.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:37 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
How does the IcelandAir option work? Not sure it is an option as I am flying from Atlanta.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:50 am

You can book it on their website.

If you are flying from ATL, you'll connect in either IAD, EWR, JFK, BOS, or YYZ. Then on to Iceland, then to either LGW or LHR, or GLA if you want Scotland.

The routing would look, for example, ATL-JFK-KEF, get off plane to go downtown for 1-7 nights, KEF-LHR/LGW/GLA.

When you connect in Iceland they allow you to pause your journey for no fee and then come back to your connecting flight a few days later. They have partners that can fly you from ATL to their connecting point. I'm fairly sure you can do this all on their website, including the stopover.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=BostonFlyer1624;24843004...get off plane to go downtown for 1-7 nights....
[/QUOTE]

I'm considering a longer stay in Iceland, longer than 1 week. We may drive the route all the way around the island.

The best I can tell from the Iceland Air website, the free stopover will only work for an Iceland stay up to 7 days maximum. Am I understanding correctly?
Old May 21, 2015, 7:31 am

That may be the case, but if you book your trip as individual legs I found the pricing was the same when we did this 2 years ago.

Don't try a complete Ring Road trip with fewer than 9 nights, you'll miss too much.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Late summer trip - suggestions appreciated

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Let me know if you need more.
BostonFlyer1624 would love suggestions for places you like to eat in Reykjavik. We are going to spend 2.5 weeks starting 8/31 and will be there for 2 nights on the front end and 2 nights before we leave. Driving the ring road with the rest of the time. I know we have 3 months still, but an article in todays WSJ about Reykjavik got me thinking ahead and excited about the trip. We are staying at Hotel Borg. Any other suggestions about what to do in the city with a limited amount of time appreciated .
Old May 23, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Both husband and I got flights using air miles with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate rewards site. Book through it .
Old May 24, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GfL
These are my favorite places to dine in Reykjavik: Fish Market (Fiskmarkaðurinn), 3 Frakkar (Þrir Frakkar) and Sjávargrillið. For lunch, I recommend: Ostabúðin Skólavörðustíg and Jómfrúin and, for breakfast, Bergsson Mathús and Reykavik Roasters. These are all within walking distance of Reykjavik city center.

Last edited by Peregrine415; May 24, 2015 at 7:28 am
Old May 24, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Peregrine415
These are my favorite places to dine in Reykjavik: Fish Market (Fiskmarkaðurinn), 3 Frakkar (Þrir Frakkar) and Sjávargrillið. For lunch, I recommend: Ostabúðin Skólavörðustíg and Jómfrúin and, for breakfast, Bergsson Mathús and Reykavik Roasters. These are all within walking distance of Reykjavik city center.
Peregrine415 - thank you! Very helpful. These are just what I was looking for. Had already made a dinner reservation at Fish Market but was at a loss for the rest.

We tend to like to eat dinner on the early side because we get up early. Are we going to be the only people in the restaurant at 7 pm? (This happened to us in Paris once )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.