The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 12:11 pm

hi,
if I have my flight from newark to buffalo at 6.50 a.m. (no bag) at what time have I to be at the airport?
thanks !!!
Old May 16, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Your post requires more details to receive an educated response.

Which airline? And what day of the week?

If it is United or United Express (Term C or Term A) - you can probably get by arriving to airport 1 hr before take-off allowing 30 minutes at TSA and walk to gate as they begin boarding. I have found A to be worse than C due to single security entrance but day of the week is critical in this estimate.
However, if you are traveling on a Monday AM - you need to allow more time for security line due to peak business traveler schedule.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:29 am

hi, sorry for the lack of details.

it's a United flight on friday morning at 6.50

I'm not able to find on my e-ticket which terminal the flight will be leaving from

thanks!
Old May 17, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by mkvale
hi, sorry for the lack of details.

it's a United flight on friday morning at 6.50

I'm not able to find on my e-ticket which terminal the flight will be leaving from

thanks!
If you aren't airborne right now. UA 4533 departs Terminal A - Friday AM isn't too bad so I could arrive at airport exactly 60-70 minutes prior to departure and wait on security line. Should get to gate exactly when they are boarding. However, if you are departing next Friday (24th) due to Memorial Day rush I might add an additional 30 minutes.

Last edited by RooseveltL; May 17, 2013 at 6:32 am
Old May 21, 2013, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If you aren't airborne right now. UA 4533 departs Terminal A - Friday AM isn't too bad so I could arrive at airport exactly 60-70 minutes prior to departure and wait on security line. Should get to gate exactly when they are boarding. However, if you are departing next Friday (24th) due to Memorial Day rush I might add an additional 30 minutes.
This works assuming you arrive at the airport with a boarding pass in hand (or on your phone) having checked in online. If you need to wait in line at the counter to check-in you'll need to add some time for that.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
Hi,

I have a Saturday noon arrival in July. It is scheduled at 3:55pm on Lufthansa, which will be arriving at T-B. Due to schedule changes, I have a 90 minute connection to UA to MCO departing from T-C. I know that this will be tough to make: clear immigration (non-US citizen, no Global Entry), clearing customs and then changing terminals. How much time would I probably lose for bag rechecking, if I have checked bags (probably just 1)? I could go with just carry-ons, if that saves me at least 10 minutes.

From what I found, there will probably be 4 to 6 int'l arrivals in the same time frame arriving at T-B. On the LH flight, I have a seat at the beginning of Y cabin, which puts most of the Y passengers behind me in line. How long are currently waiting times for immigration? How long does it take to change terminals? Since I am *G, are there TSA fast lanes in T-C? Would a college booked on the same ticket (same PNR) be allowed to use the fast lanes as well?

Just in case, I already looked up other available connections that would get us to MCO that day. So if everything goes wrong with the flights booked, there are some alternatives. I am just afraid that seat availability will be limited on those alternative flights.

So thanks in advance for helping me out at EWR. By the way, it will be my first time at EWR, so I don't know where I can find what. But that's why I am trying to find out as much as possible before getting there.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:39 am

I think the time savings will come in a combination of not waiting to collect bags and not waiting to drop them off again. But it is a tight connection. Are they separate tickets? If the same, can you proactively change the onward connection to give yourself a bit more time?

Yes, both of you can use the elite line at C when going back through security.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:16 am

@sbm12: Thanks for the reply. The trip is booked on one ticket. Originally, the connecting time was 2h 30 but got changed due to a schedule change. From what I could find, 90 minutes a legal connecting time (being the MCT for Intl -> Domestic).

Actually, I hesitate a little on proactively trying to change to a later flight. The relatively early arrival at MCO is very tempting. And I don't want to have to kill time at EWR knowing that we could have made our connection. Another thing is that there are a couple of options of later flights, if the connection does not work out. And than it will be United's business to get us on such a later flight.

Anyways, your answer helped me convincing to only have carry-ons. We will try to make the connection, even if it is tight.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:20 pm

Hi, I've connected at EWR several times but never originated a trip there. Flying tomorrow evening EWR - TPA. Two questions - sorry if these are answered somewhere else:

Does EWR have a separate premier security checkpoint (like SFO) in terminal C? If so, where is it? I find these are usually poorly signed but maybe it's clear at EWR.

I am on a 6:40pm flight. I have a meeting near the UN in Manhattan until 4:30. Hoping to be on a NJ transit train that arrives at the EWR rail station at the latest at 5:56 (I will try to make an earlier train). Am I dreaming that I can arrive at the EWR rail station at 5:56 and make a 6:40 flight, checked-in with carry-on luggage only? I have no idea what the premier security line will look like at 6pm on a Friday - any insight you have would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:04 am

Feedback

Just to give some feedback:

Our inbound flight was on time that day. Since we had seats close to the door, we quickly deplaned. There were no lines at immigration, as there were many counters open and only a few people in front of us. Changing terminals was easy, just followed the signs. TSA in Terminal C was no hassle at all, we were through in 10 minutes or so. We arrived at the new gate when boarding started, so we embarked with boarding group 2 just a few minutes later. Actually, we would have had an additional hour as the aircraft hat a minor technical problem that was fixed, but caused a delay of approx. 45 minutes.

Anyways, I guess we were just lucky that day, with an on time arrival at EWR and no lines anywhere. I'm not sure how long the luggage unloading would have taken, but I guess, we could have easily made it with checked luggage that day.

Thanks again for the helpful tips, I guess it does not always works out that well. So preparation is always good.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:08 pm

I'm going to do a 2.5hr connection at EWR.

Inbound is at the UAX gates in Terminal A. Outbound is at the UA gates at Terminal C.

I can grab something to eat before my flight in Terminal C, and I can go United Club hopping at Terminal A and at Terminal C. Is there anything else I can do?

I would ride the AirTrain instead of taking the sterile shuttle, but if Terminal C security is a PITA, I'm fine with skipping the AirTrain. This would be about 9am on a Friday morning.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Walk between Concourse B2 & B3

My wife's flying out on Air India which departs from Terminal B (dunno the gate or concourse), while I would be departing for YVR (haven't booked my flight yet).
Ideally I would like to see her off at her Departure gate then go for my flight.
Just wondering, if I book any International flight (to canada) which departs from Terminal B (would be B2 or B3), is it easier to walk between the two concourses after the immigration, i.e between different departure gates??
thanks
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Is there anything else I can do?
Any other suggestions?
With the time you have nothing else really to do.
Originally Posted by sunnyzip
My wife's flying out on Air India which departs from Terminal B (dunno the gate or concourse), while I would be departing for YVR (haven't booked my flight yet).
Ideally I would like to see her off at her Departure gate then go for my flight.
Just wondering, if I book any International flight (to canada) which departs from Terminal B (would be B2 or B3), is it easier to walk between the two concourses after the immigration, i.e between different departure gates??
thanks
There is no exit immigration in the USA so there is no "after the immigration" part of the terminals. There is TSA security which is different for B2 and B3 so you'd have to re-clear to get between the two.

Also, I don't know of any flights to Canada which leave from B other than the Porter Air flights and they don't go to Vancouver. AC flies out of A1 and United will be from A2 or C.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Thanks...I guess because B2 & B3 security is different, I could only get in either B2 or B3 depending on my flight (they would be checking the boarding pass at security right..?. Yes i was looking at Porter air, but I am not sure if they fly from the same Concourse as Air india. I wouldnt book Porter unless I know for sure that I could walk between B2 & B3.

Originally Posted by sbm12
With the time you have nothing else really to do.

There is no exit immigration in the USA so there is no "after the immigration" part of the terminals. There is TSA security which is different for B2 and B3 so you'd have to re-clear to get between the two.

Also, I don't know of any flights to Canada which leave from B other than the Porter Air flights and they don't go to Vancouver. AC flies out of A1 and United will be from A2 or C.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
United Shuttle Hours from Terminal A to B

I understand that United operates a bus shuttle from Terminal A to B, to C. To stop at B, I understand that it must be requested to the driver. I also read that maybe the bus does not begin stopping at B until 2 PM. But, what time does the shuttle stop service to B? I arrive Terminal A at about 9:45 PM, and will wish to take the shuttle to B for an international flight. I was wondering if the shuttle will be operating, and stopping at B that late, or for how long? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.