The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by swdke
I understand that United operates a bus shuttle from Terminal A to B, to C. To stop at B, I understand that it must be requested to the driver. I also read that maybe the bus does not begin stopping at B until 2 PM. But, what time does the shuttle stop service to B? I arrive Terminal A at about 9:45 PM, and will wish to take the shuttle to B for an international flight. I was wondering if the shuttle will be operating, and stopping at B that late, or for how long? Thanks!
I have the same question as swdke.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
New Pre-check line at security C1 (near Premier check-in) in Term C doesn't allow international either - but its still a quick shortcut to the front of the line. Also note that the second pre-check line operates as a very fast ordinary line, magnetometer only, when there is not a heavy demand on pre-check
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
New Pre-check line at security C1 (near Premier check-in) in Term C doesn't allow international either - but its still a quick shortcut to the front of the line. Also note that the second pre-check line operates as a very fast ordinary line, magnetometer only, when there is not a heavy demand on pre-check
What do you mean by "doesn't allow international"?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:28 pm

I've booked a trip from Oslo (Norway) to Monterrey (Mexico), with layovers in EWR and IAH (Houston). So I'll be going through immigration in EWR. All three flights are booked together and are with United Airlines. But the layover in EWR is only 84 minutes. In IAH it's 69 minutes.

UA assured me by phone that it's calculated so that it's enough time. Of course I realize that if my flight from Oslo is delayed, I could be in trouble.

Any advice for making the process in EWR as quick as possible? I'm seriously thinking of packing just a carry-on.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nicknu
I've booked a trip from Oslo (Norway) to Monterrey (Mexico), with layovers in EWR and IAH (Houston). So I'll be going through immigration in EWR. All three flights are booked together and are with United Airlines. But the layover in EWR is only 84 minutes. In IAH it's 69 minutes.

UA assured me by phone that it's calculated so that it's enough time. Of course I realize that if my flight from Oslo is delayed, I could be in trouble.

Any advice for making the process in EWR as quick as possible? I'm seriously thinking of packing just a carry-on.

Thanks.
Follow your own advice and just pack a carry-on bag. Do not check in any bags. You will waste precious time at the baggage carousel waiting for a checked bag.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Taxi between EWR and central Manhattan

Could anyone tell me roughly what I should expect to pay for a taxi from EWR to a midtown Manhattan hotel? I can prebook with Airlink for about $110, but my arrival is slightly complicated as I have an interview scheduled with the Global Entry people, and it would be easier for me just to grab a cab afterwards.... But if I am going to pay much more as a result, I'll rethink that strategy. So, any advice welcome.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by DominicB
Could anyone tell me roughly what I should expect to pay for a taxi from EWR to a midtown Manhattan hotel? I can prebook with Airlink for about $110, but my arrival is slightly complicated as I have an interview scheduled with the Global Entry people, and it would be easier for me just to grab a cab afterwards.... But if I am going to pay much more as a result, I'll rethink that strategy. So, any advice welcome.

Many thanks!
The rate is about $70 plus tip, (It is $55 + 13 toll). Others will confirm.
Airlink at $110 doesn't make sense?

Also, keep in mind if you are are going to midtown (near Grand Central or Port Authority) you can take the Express Bus direct from airport to mid-town for $16. I think it leaves every 20 minutes.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:26 am

Is there security at each concourse in Terminal A? If so, is there a way to bypass it (a shuttle maybe) if you arrive at Concourse 1 and have a connecting flight in Concourse 2 or 3?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by DanielWRyan
Is there security at each concourse in Terminal A? If so, is there a way to bypass it (a shuttle maybe) if you arrive at Concourse 1 and have a connecting flight in Concourse 2 or 3?
Yes & No!
Terminal A has three different concourse each with its own security entry point (e.g. US Air + American Air; United Express + Air CAnada; and Frontier + Virgin + WestJet + Southwest)
Terminal B has different concourse each with its own security entry point (e.g. Delta is one concourse, BA+ is a different, and multiple international
Terminal C has one zone across entire terminal.

The bus from Terminal A will leave the United Express area to/from Star Alliance partners (Term B) & United (Term C). However, I don't believe it will drop you off in a secured zone in a non-Star Alliance location (e.g. Delta concourse)
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:36 pm

I have a flight coming up from LIS-EWR on TAP in business that will bring me to terminal B and I have a outbound domestic flight from EWR to LAS in terminal C. I don't have global entry and now with a flight time change the connection time is only 1 hr. Should I be worried about making the vegas flight? thanks in advance.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I have a flight coming up from LIS-EWR on TAP in business that will bring me to terminal B and I have a outbound domestic flight from EWR to LAS in terminal C. I don't have global entry and now with a flight time change the connection time is only 1 hr. Should I be worried about making the vegas flight? thanks in advance.
Between clearing customs/immigration, changing terminals, and re-clearing security, I think it will be a real challenge to make your connecting flight. If both flights are on a single ticket, I suggest you contact the ticketing carrier ASAP, and ask whether you now have an illegal connection.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:33 am

I apologize for bringing up the thread, but could someone describe international to domestic transfer process on United at EWR? In particular - is the immigration/pick up luggage/go through customs the same for transfer and local passengers? Or is it like Wash. Dulles where transfer passengers go through separate immigration/customs area?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by br2k
I apologize for bringing up the thread, but could someone describe international to domestic transfer process on United at EWR? In particular - is the immigration/pick up luggage/go through customs the same for transfer and local passengers? Or is it like Wash. Dulles where transfer passengers go through separate immigration/customs area?
short version: No separate imm/customs for transfer pax, sorry. If you are USC: Get global entry or try JFK oneWorld terminal. (Or T4), or connect through ORD where they have the APC machines.

long version:
It's the same. You will land at EWR, often at the same time as many other planes with many befuddled passengers, many of them booked on impossible UA connections and in tears..

Then, you will be directed by a person in a red coat to the correct line. You will then snake your way through your immigration line (either non us or US), and be sent to the wrong queue by another person in a red coat. After waiting, as a US Citizen, for what seems like a very long time, or as a non-us, for what seems like an even LONGER time, you will then go to the baggage queue. If the flight before you or your flight is from Latin America or the Caribbean, you will see those PAX going into secondary [every time..].

Then you will take your bags and give your customs form to one of two customs officers standing at a pedestal. Occasionally, even for this, there have been REALLY long lines. I have waited 15 minutes just to hand someone a customs form.

Then, if you are local, you will pick up a gypsy cab or livery who isn't supposed to hustle to take you home.

If you are connecting, you will then have to recheck your bags and experience the groping that is the TSA..
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Question about check in times on a Sunday morning. Our flight UA1444 leaves for SXM from terminal C at 09:06AM. We are both in Business class and both have star gold cards. We will be checking one bag each.

UA homepage suggest 2,5-3 hours to check in, clear security on a sunday morning on an international flight, but it seems like a very long time to me and I guess it refers to economy passengers?

I guess terminal C will have some sort of fast track like terminal B has? And when would we have to leave our midtown hotel?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by SASDC8
Question about check in times on a Sunday morning. Our flight UA1444 leaves for SXM from terminal C at 09:06AM. We are both in Business class and both have star gold cards. We will be checking one bag each.

UA homepage suggest 2,5-3 hours to check in, clear security on a sunday morning on an international flight, but it seems like a very long time to me and I guess it refers to economy passengers?

I guess terminal C will have some sort of fast track like terminal B has? And when would we have to leave our midtown hotel?
If you are star gold and checking business you can probably be there at 7AM, maybe even 7:30, but that depends on how you like your risk. Terminal C doesn't exactly have fast track, more like a closed off entry to the security lane for elites, but it's not always faster.

I will leave the traffic analysis to others - might want to ask in the NYC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.