Reload this Page >

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The reply (below) from the PA says as much:

During the time you were travelling, our system was in a shuttle mode. During this mode, three trains serve the system, and it is an average of 15 minutes between trains.
This shuttle mode is necessary for maintenance technicians to safely perform critical preventive and corrective maintenance on the system. Further, we are working on updating signage in each station to show the scheduled service times. For an electronic schedule, please visit: http://www.airtrainnewark.com

Why 15 minutes? It does not take 15 minutes to do the circuit! Why can't they reduce it to 10 minutes??
I don't think the issue is that it takes 15 minutes to make the circuit. Usually when the system is in 'shuttle mode', the circuit is broken into legs - RailLink-P4, P4-Terminal A, Terminal A-P1, for example. Where each leg ends, you have to disembark, let that train depart (in the direction from which it arrived), then wait for the train working the next leg to arrive on the same track. So while it might not ordinarily take 15 minutes to complete a full circuit of the AirTrain system, in 'shuttle mode', accounting for the timing and spacing to make sure you don't have two trains trying to arrive at the same platform at the same time...well, you get the idea.

Of course, all of this would be unnecessary if the system were actually a loop and not a...I dunno - parenthesis?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:30 am

Hi Folks

I have a transfer tomorrow 27th of March in EWR my flight from IAH lands just 1 hour prior the departure of my next flight (all flights are United) is 1 hour between a domestic flight and International flight enough to get my next flight?

My ticket says arrival at Terminal C and Departure at the same Terminal C. I hope this could help my case...

Last edited by LoungeBum; Mar 26, 2014 at 9:02 am Reason: EIH / IAH correction
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
Hi Folks

I have a transfer tomorrow 27th of March in EWR my flight from EIH lands just 1 hour prior the departure of my next flight (all flights are United) is 1 hour between a domestic flight and International flight enough to get my next flight?

My ticket says arrival at Terminal C and Departure at the same Terminal C. I hope this could help my case...
If United sold you the ticket with minimum connection time - you should be okay. I can't tell from your airport code if EWR is first stop in the US (unless a typo) as UAL doesn't recognize the code. Typically arriving via international requires clearing customs which can be quick or awful long. You will also have to pick up your bags to recheck for onwards travel.
In your favor - it is likely your inbound travel is early (pending head/tail winds).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If United sold you the ticket with minimum connection time - you should be okay. I can't tell from your airport code if EWR is first stop in the US (unless a typo) as UAL doesn't recognize the code. Typically arriving via international requires clearing customs which can be quick or awful long. You will also have to pick up your bags to recheck for onwards travel.
In your favor - it is likely your inbound travel is early (pending head/tail winds).
My bad, I am flying from Houston (IAH) to Newark them to Mumbai... ticket sold by United so I guess I have the wind on my side hopefully. or I will be staying 24 hours until the next flight
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
My bad, I am flying from Houston (IAH) to Newark them to Mumbai... ticket sold by United so I guess I have the wind on my side hopefully. or I will be staying 24 hours until the next flight
I'm a little confused as to why this seems an issue?
It looks like you are on UA1511 IAH-EWR that arrives at 1900 into gate C104 (per flight status on UA website).
You are then connecting to UA48 EWR-BOM at 2010 from C138 (also per flight status on UA website).
So you have 70 mins to get from your arrival gate to your departing one.
If you look at the terminal map (either on the UA website) or in the first post of this thread, you can see C104 and C138 are just a few mins walk from each other.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:31 am

I was under the impression that I had to go through passport control and re enter to the terminal like when you do from an international arrival. Good to hear that it will be just a walk from one gate to the other. thanks for your help.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I was under the impression that I had to go through passport control and re enter to the terminal like when you do from an international arrival. Good to hear that it will be just a walk from one gate to the other. thanks for your help.
You should have no problem. No bad weather prediction in the next 24 hrs.
Even though you are traveling onwards to INTL destination you do not have to clear passport control on outbound. Just get off the arriving flight and walk to next terminal. Your biggest issue is late/delayed arrival from IAH. If you get to IAH earlier in the day just watch the board of departures to EWR whether delayed or all ontime. If delayed you can try to board an earlier delayed flight via stand-by (even though may be difficult as Thursdays have heavy loads for business traveler return home).
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

While Texas certainly feels like a foreign country, unless I missed a major news event, it isn't one.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA

While Texas certainly feels like a foreign country, unless I missed a major news event, it isn't one.
I normally take my international flights from Houston, so I am aware of what it takes to reach the gate (including the passport control) and as I am taking a domestic flight till newark I was thinking there was some sort of passport control at newark after landing...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I normally take my international flights from Houston, so I am aware of what it takes to reach the gate (including the passport control) and as I am taking a domestic flight till newark I was thinking there was some sort of passport control at newark after landing...
America does not have exit immigration. You have never been through "passport control" when exiting, out of IAH or otherwise.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
America does not have exit immigration. You have never been through "passport control" when exiting, out of IAH or otherwise.
Yes, no exit immigration, but the TSA post at Terminal D verifies your passport - boarding pass before the xray area, and some times it takes almost 1 hour even on the fast lane for business/first passengers. they have only 2 officers in that post.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, no exit immigration, but the TSA post at Terminal D verifies your passport - boarding pass before the xray area, and some times it takes almost 1 hour even on the fast lane for business/first passengers. they have only 2 officers in that post.
That has nothing to do with exiting the country...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
They don't require a passport. Any government issued ID is sufficient to get through security. (Yes, even on an international flight.)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
two major developments at EWR

Two major updates to this thread (I am surprised they have not been reported yet, but you can read about them elsewhere):
- on May 1, the EWR sky train (linking Newark Airport to the Air Link) is closing for 75 days due to emergency repairs. Detours are being offered via Newark Penn station, but is going to be a mess and transfers will take a lot longer;
- The Port Authority has announced that EWR will be reduced to one runway this summer for repairs. Again, the potential for lengthy delays!

Mods, can I suggest we focus this forum on EWR developments, and leave passport issues on other threads?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Two major updates to this thread (I am surprised they have not been reported yet, but you can read about them elsewhere):
- on May 1, the EWR sky train (linking Newark Airport to the Air Link) is closing for 75 days due to emergency repairs. Detours are being offered via Newark Penn station, but is going to be a mess and transfers will take a lot longer;
- The Port Authority has announced that EWR will be reduced to one runway this summer for repairs. Again, the potential for lengthy delays!

Mods, can I suggest we focus this forum on EWR developments, and leave passport issues on other threads?
Um...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-1-2014-a.html

There's also a thread about the AirTrain shutdown, and I think a thread about the runway repair, over in the United forum (since UA tends to be the hardest hit by anything at EWR, and the AirTrain closure borks anyone with a ZFV-EWR-XXX itin). Hardly unreported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.