LGA-EWR / EWR-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA-EWR / EWR-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flatplanet
Hi,

I found this forum as a result of my searching how to get from LGA to EWR on Sunday (yesterday). The replies seemed to me pretty complicated, so I just planned to take a cab and damn the cost...

However as I walked thru the baggage claim area towards the taxi stand, I saw the transportation desk which I think is operated by the airport. The woman there told me that there is a shuttle to EWR in 10 minutes which costs $32. I signed up on the spot, the http://www.etsairportshuttle.com was on time and together with 3 other people we made it to EWR in only 30 minutes!

Bear in mind that it was Sunday morning (the driver took the BQE, Manhattan Bridge and Holland Tunnel) so on weekdays it would probably take double or maybe more, but still a great deal. I got to EWR in comfort and in plenty of time for my flight.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
welcome to ft flatplanet....this info was posted earlier in post # 13....
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
EWR-LGA-EWR OPTIONS

Just wanted to share some information on travel from EWR-LGA

Shuttles

The Olympic Airporter and StateShuttle are now one in the same, and are part of the go! Airlink System.

There shuttles depart hourly from 6:00am until and inclusive of 9:00pm.

Terminal A departure is at the :00, B at :10, and C at :20 (though you should be ready to go, with ticket in hand by :00, regardless of what Terminal you are in.

Tickets Cost $30.00, and can be purchased online. -- Tickets are also available from the Welcome Center's Ground Transportation Counter by baggage claim in all Terminals. Note: There is an additional Ground Transportation Counter immediately outside of the International Arrivals Hall in Terminal B.

ETS Airport Shuttle

Their shuttles depart hourly from 7:30pm and inclusive 9:30pm.

Terminal A departure is at the :30, B at :40, C at :50 (Though you should be ready to go, with ticket in hand, by :30, regardless of what terminal you are in.

Tickets Cost $29.00, and can be purchased online. -- Tickets are also available from the Welcome Center's Ground Transportation Counter by baggage claim in all Terminals. Note: There is an additional Ground Transportation Counter immediately outside of the International Arrivals Hall in Terminal B.

Please Note:All County Transportation no longer serves EWR-LGA with a shuttle. They still serve the route on a full-van charter, however.

Taxis

From EWR, there is a flat-rate for Taxis to LGA. The price is $85, plus Tolls and Gratuity. Depending in the time of day, there may also be a $5 Peak surcharge. Expect your total trip to cost $100-$115, before gratuity.

PLEASE ALWAYS USE OFFICIAL TAXI STANDS AND OFFICIAL TAXIS (WHITE IN TERMINAL A, YELLOW IN TERMINALS B AND C) DO NOT SUPPORT THE ILLEGAL TAXI DRIVERS, THEY ARE CRIMINALS
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Transfer EWR to LGA

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if 2h24 minutes are enough to transfer from (EWR) Newark International to (LGA) Laguardia New York or do I need to take a later flight? This includes check out - taxi transfer - check in ...

Thank you very much
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Dave2014
... I would like to know if 2h24 minutes are enough to transfer from (EWR) Newark International to (LGA) Laguardia New York or do I need to take a later flight? This includes check out - taxi transfer - check in ...
Welcome to FT, short answer to your question is "No" - please book a later flight or fly into LGA directly if a flight is available, you will save time & money (and, avoid headaches & heartburns.)

Now, more details - a taxi from EWR to LGA (or, better yet - a car service) including tolls & tips will run you $70 and up plus tolls ($15 to $20 depending on exact routes used) & tips - or, about $100 or more and TIME (NY area highways, bridges & tunnels can get very congested with traffic & with weekend/mid-day repairs and closures, etc.) Travel time under most ideal conditions between the 2 airports is 75 minutes to 90 minutes or more in good weather, and often 2 hours or more. For us, I would not do it under 4 hours - too many things can go wrong: air traffic & ground/gate delays, luggage, long wait in lines for taxi, security and traffic volume depending on time/day of week, etc.

Are you flying international to domestic, domestic to domestic, changing (airline) carriers, carry-on only or checked luggage, status with airline(s) and priority (Business Class, etc.) ?

I'm guessing that this is your first trip to/thru NYC to another domestic US (Canada ?) destination - so all the transfers involved could be a challenge - some of the FT veterans here can do it EWR Airtrain to NJ Transit/Train to NY Penn, jump & transfer to NYC Subway & then hop on to a limited-stop bus to LGA (or, grab a taxi for the last leg ...) in ideal condition, if everything works as planned & not delayed - in under 90 minutes, maybe beating the taxi or car service by a few minutes. As a native & driving in/around NY metro area & flying in/out of all 3 area airports for nearly 40 years - trust me, it's not worth the trouble to do such a tight connection (no matter what they say.)

Check your flight options & book something different/better instead, or fly into JFK (if you can't fly into LGA, from overseas) - you will skip two river crossings & you taxi/car fares will be much less, about $45 or less with tips included, and no tolls. Good luck & happy holidays.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Put bluntly, the EWR-LGA/JFK transfer may be the worst domestic transfer possible. It's expensive, time-consuming & iffy. If you have an international-domestic connection at NYC, it is worth spending the time, effort & money to the connection elsewhere.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm looking at a trip which would involve an international arrival (on UA) into EWR at 2:10 PM and then a flight out of LGA (on DL) at 8:30 PM. This would be on a Sunday. I'm assuming that is sufficient time to get between the two?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm looking at a trip which would involve an international arrival (on UA) into EWR at 2:10 PM and then a flight out of LGA (on DL) at 8:30 PM. This would be on a Sunday. I'm assuming that is sufficient time to get between the two?
Yes, barring some catastrophe affecting both roads and rails -- absolutely. Exiting a 210p arrival on a Sunday afternoon you can be in Midtown by 300p or 330p, and you need to be out at LGA by 700p. That leaves you three hours layover time in the city to fool around.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
I have an international arrival into EWR at 1:15pm. I then have a 6:15pm domestic departure from LGA. Using the shuttle services, ETS or All County, (they both claim 60 to 90 minutes), I have enough time to get from EWR to LGA?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cajunguy
I have an international arrival into EWR at 1:15pm. I then have a 6:15pm domestic departure from LGA. Using the shuttle services, ETS or All County, (they both claim 60 to 90 minutes), I have enough time to get from EWR to LGA?
Should be fine, but I would certainly take public transit to avoid traffic and expense.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Should be fine, but I would certainly take public transit to avoid traffic and expense.
Thanks SJC AA - I've been reading about the public transportation, it seems like a lot of layers. Unless I'm not reading it correctly.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Thanks SJC AA - I've been reading about the public transportation, it seems like a lot of layers. Unless I'm not reading it correctly.
Three transfers would be required: EWR AirTrain to NJ Transit; NJ Transit to NYC subway or Long Island Rail Road; subway or Rail Road to Q70 bus.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Three transfers would be required: EWR AirTrain to NJ Transit; NJ Transit to NYC subway or Long Island Rail Road; subway or Rail Road to Q70 bus.
While it may seem like more effort it is pretty quick. Anyway, as you arrive at 1:15pm (pre-rush hour). I think your fastest method would be take the bus from EWR to Grand Central Station and the bus from Grand Central station to LGA. Shuttle services unless they depart on a specific schedule are horrific in NYC and bus service departs every 15 minutes.

Look at it this way if you have to wait 30-45 minutes for next van/shuttle leaving to LGA. In that time period you could be in Manhattan from EWR. The bus is also easy as you only transfer 1x - exit with bag and get on next bus with bag at Grand CEntral.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
While it may seem like more effort it is pretty quick. Anyway, as you arrive at 1:15pm (pre-rush hour). I think your fastest method would be take the bus from EWR to Grand Central Station and the bus from Grand Central station to LGA. Shuttle services unless they depart on a specific schedule are horrific in NYC and bus service departs every 15 minutes.

Look at it this way if you have to wait 30-45 minutes for next van/shuttle leaving to LGA. In that time period you could be in Manhattan from EWR. The bus is also easy as you only transfer 1x - exit with bag and get on next bus with bag at Grand CEntral.
Thank you! I think this will be our preferred method. I've always wanted to see Grand Central!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Thank you! I think this will be our preferred method. I've always wanted to see Grand Central!
http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp @$16
and
http://www.nycairporter.com/ @$14

It is expensive but minimum connection (which appears to be a concern).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp @$16
and
http://www.nycairporter.com/ @$14

It is expensive but minimum connection (which appears to be a concern).
Minimum effort too! We've been putting together this trip for a few months now and it's got a lot of areas where it could create some frustration.

Thank you for the links!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.