Quick Adv Please - Train or Fly to BOS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I have no idea why this is taking me so long to decide. I'd love any help please: So I live in DC and I am flying out of BOS @ 1030AM on Saturday 1/18. Weather here in DC is supposed to be snow/sleet around 7AM on Saturday morning and I am currently scheduled on a flight from DC Saturday morning approx 645AM-815AM (which I would take in order to get to BOS in time for a flight out of BOS at 10:30A). As a back up I've also purchased a ticket on the last Amtrak on FRIDAY departing DC at approx 1030PM and arrive in Boston approx 8AM on Saturday . I'd prefer to not spend the night on the train but I'm also worried about the flight to BOS being delayed or cxl'd on Saturday due to weather conditions here in DC. So what would YOU do take the train on Friday or chance it on the flight on Saturday? and I'd only like to consider these two options please and thanks. My greatest angst is that I have to make a decision on the train on Friday night before I know for certain the status of the flight on Saturday?? I'd love any thoughts just to prod me along..... Thanks so much for any useful comments and safe travels to everyone. Thanks!!

Last edited by soxfanndc; Jan 16, 2020 at 9:28 pm
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:54 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The forecast here is for not nearly enough snow to affect operations at Logan.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks "element" and yes I understand that. I'm more worried about the flight TO Boston and hence, conditions here in DC to get to Boston so I'm trying to determine best course of action. Thanks again. Be well.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Thanks "element" and yes I understand that. I'm more worried about the flight TO Boston and hence, conditions here in DC to get to Boston so I'm trying to determine best course of action. Thanks again. Be well.
In your OP, you wrote that you are flying out of BOS. Here, and in the thread title, you write that you are flying to BOS. Which is correct?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The weather forecast is calling for about an inch of snow on Saturday morning. Your flight may be delayed due to de-icing, but I highly doubt it'll be cancelled. How much of a delay can you take?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, that does not sound like much of a delay-inducing factor. If I take the flight to BOS then it arrives around 8ish and my flight out of BOS leaves around 10:30ish. And to clarify, I live in DC, and I am beginning another trip OUT of BOS around 10:30am and I need to "position" from DC to BOS, currently scheduled to arrive on the BWI-BOS flight around 8AM and it is THIS flight that I am mostly worried about b/c if it is delayed or cancelled (b/c of weather here in DC) then I will miss my flight out of BOS around 10:30ish. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
I spent years taking the shuttle from DC. My experience is the first flight in the AM was almost never delayed. Based on the DC forecast right now, I think you May be OK. That said, it really depends on how crucial it is to make that flight from Boston. If it is critical, I might take the train. However, I think it more likely there would be a delay on Amtrak than on Delta or American.. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with some degree of risk.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Poster

OP here, I want to thank you all for such courteous and helpful replies. It is CRITICAL that I make the flight OUT of Boston at 10:30 a.m so given that I've decided I'm going to take the train tonight. The other "moving part" was that I would be without a shower for so long (TMI? LOL) but what I've decided to do is to train to BOS then Uber to one of the BOS Airport hotels in the morning and shower in the hotel gym then head over to Logan. It's a lot of "herky jerky" but for my sanity it's the plan that works best for me. Thank you all again!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Good luck. I'll be getting to the Delta Sky Club for a flight TO DC from Boston at about 10:30 tomorrow. Hope I don't see you!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
In your OP, you wrote that you are flying out of BOS. Here, and in the thread title, you write that you are flying to BOS. Which is correct?
Both. The OP is in DC and has a flight out of BOS at 1030a Saturday. One way of getting there is by flying into BOS earlier that morning. The other option is a Friday evening train. The basic question of this thread is: which? And the answer, per post #8 , is to take the train.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Agreed. If the xBOS flight is mission critical, flying in the AM is not a good idea. However, before doing the overnight train, consider B6 at 10:00 PM tonight, Currently selling at $246.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
What an incredibly confusing post. As we've all figured out by now, the OP was hoping to travel BWI-BOS-XXX, but instead of supplying that simple bit of information, we got a more roundabout description. For those of us playing along at home, the OP's train arrived NHV half an hour late, but if Amtrak is to be believed (which is often a stretch), it will make up time en route.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:18 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
3 inches at Logan. Minimal delays last night, effectively none today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.