Wiki Posts
Search

Uber /Lyft central parking?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Uber /Lyft central parking?

I remember reading that Uber was supposed to move to central parking for pickups at Logan starting in Oct. Does anyone know if this has actually gone into effect? I can't find info on the Web or at the Uber website. I am arriving tonight with heavy baggage into terminal C and I might be inclined to take a cab if I have to walk much less further. Thank you.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I remember reading that Uber was supposed to move to central parking for pickups at Logan starting in Oct. Does anyone know if this has actually gone into effect? I can't find info on the Web or at the Uber website. I am arriving tonight with heavy baggage into terminal C and I might be inclined to take a cab if I have to walk much less further. Thank you.
Signs posted within the airport of a 04 Nov effective date for the move of ride share app pick ups to Central Garage.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

So went through Logan a few hours ago and the signs now say 28 October.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
So went through Logan a few hours ago and the signs now say 28 October.
Wonder if they are staggering start by terminal? Signs in terminal B on Monday clearly said 04 Nov. Will see what terminal A says this weekend.

But glad the different date didn’t impact you this evening.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Interesting! My observation was terminal C (I think I mentioned that up thread). Will be interesting to see what they say in A!

I had a really sweet Uber driver who carried my heavy bag into my house on arrival
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:20 am

As of this past Sunday terminal A says 28 October. Confirmed today that terminal B still says 04 November.

Guess since this change has no upside and all negatives for terminal B they migrate last to the new central location. Much longer walk, outside to get to hamster trails?, and no new benefit...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Here's a story from yesterday's Boston Globe on the subject:

Central Garage for Uber, Lyft
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Here's a story from yesterday's Boston Globe on the subject:

Central Garage for Uber, Lyft
Should I be surprised that this is what passes for journalism at the Globe?
diburning likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Segments
As of this past Sunday terminal A says 28 October. Confirmed today that terminal B still says 04 November.

Guess since this change has no upside and all negatives for terminal B they migrate last to the new central location. Much longer walk, outside to get to hamster trails?, and no new benefit...
Signs in E on Monday also said 4 November so B isn't the last to go — though this change is probably worse for B than for E
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Segments
Should I be surprised that this is what passes for journalism at the Globe?
Consider the target audience for an article about Ride Share companies.

Chris Muther is actually a very good writer. Always interesting stories about travel and entertainment.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Consider the target audience for an article about Ride Share companies.

Chris Muther is actually a very good writer. Always interesting stories about travel and entertainment.
It seems to be more of a paid advertisement rather than a balanced article. Very little of relevance to the traveling public who I would assume would be his audience as a travel writer.

He fails to point out terminal B is currently a 1 minute walk to a ride share location that is covered, well light, and with easy pull thru for drivers. Significantly less then his optimistic 6.5 minute test run. Or that deadheading from app rides is no worse than the same deadheading by taxis (that this new policy benefits taxis as they still are permitted curb access). Or why private cars dropping off family and friends are not required to use the central parking area. Aren’t they deadheading?

Is the audience whomever appoints Massport members? Yes, his assessment of my head exploding at the thought of Massport corruption is correct.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

I don't really like the snarky attitude of the article. I have no choice really but to withhold judgement until the new system goes into effect, but sometimes I have heavy / awkward bags without wheels and what might take him 5 minutes would certainly take me longer. I will be curious to see how the app handles it. Now you put in your ride request and have time to walk to the pickup spot. If the cars are really waiting at central parking then there should be no wait under the new system, which means you won't hail your ride till you get there. That's not so bad, but I do check the Uber price before I hail and if it's high on a "surge" I'm happy to take a cab. New system makes it harder to do that, but does benefit the cabbies, who are otherwise a dying breed.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:38 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
He writes with snark, yes.

And the difference between family dropoffs/pickups and ride app companies is much greater than the difference between the ride app companies and cabs, who should be treated the same.

As an individual who drops off and picks up family and friends regularly, Logan has gotten impossible to reach curbside in the past 2 years. Getting any group into a slightly remote location will be good for pickups, but also good for buses who often have to wait many minutes just to get to their dedicated curbs (have you seen the backups between B and C?) and for emergency vehicles.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:12 am

Also, Muther writes commentary. There is another news article about the changes.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...C0J/story.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.