Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Uber /Lyft central parking?

Uber /Lyft central parking?

Old Oct 19, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Yes the backups between B and C are horrible! I usually tell my driver that I'm happy being let off at the arrivals level, and they are happy to do that. But, interestingly, they are letting app rides drop off curbside in the mornings. I do think there's a difference between dropoff and pickup - catching a flight is stressful enough these days without adding in time for a walk.
Old Oct 19, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
Since the Globe article is restricted to subscribers, here is one that details the timeline:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...-plan/29519274
Old Oct 19, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)
On a positive note, Massport has finally acknowledged that their plan discriminated against the disabled and are working on a way for pax to self identify which will permit curbside pick up and drop off at all terminals. Will be interesting to see how Uber and Lyft execute this within the apps.
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Any reports from Logan? Apparently day 1 was rather chaotic, with riders and drivers having trouble finding each other. I'm doing the dance next week myself.
Old Nov 5, 19, 2:20 am

I’m still not a fan but it is rolling out smoother than LAX.

Figure about 15 minute walk from terminal B exit, assuming there is not a line to access the required elevator. (this was with carry on baggage)

From AA ticketing take one up escalator (or elevator if needed), two people mover sidewalks, then everyone must take an elevator down to the ground floor. Then find your “terminal” to meet your ride. (oh yes, and instead of Muzak we get to listen to a political speech from the governor over the length of the long walk). Marking of path is great at points, bad at others but plenty of “helpers” to offer directions.

Then plan on a 7 - 30 minute wait for your ride. Recommend you text the driver your “terminal” as apparently the Uber app is glitchy and sending drivers to the wrong spot. Happened to me and several others while I waited. MassPort “helpers” claim this is due to driver cluelessness, but my UberBlack driver says it happens daily since the transition and he has been driving at Logan for over 10 years.

The promised WiFi inside the garage is spotty.

Number of parking slots for cars is about 4x was the old B lot. Good thing because each “terminal” is divided into four sections and there is no one spot to see all drivers entering so the lag between car arrival and departure is significantly longer than the old system.

Supposedly mobility challenged are permitted curbside pick up (Uber app gives instructions how to request) but wheel chair attendants assisted several people to this new centralized lot that I witnessed including one person using two canes who walked the full distance. Not sure if the curbside pick up isn’t functioning, or just poorly promoted and wheel chair attendants are capitalizing on increased business.

If the goal was to create new low skill jobs and encourage taxi use then it is a resounding success.
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Ugh. Sounds like about what you'd expect from Massport - inattention to detail. I bet the cab drivers are happy though.

Do you call for your ride at the terminal, and they somehow calculate your walk time, or do you wait till you get to the pick up spot? GPS probably won't work well in there so hard to tell where you actually are, I'd guess, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old Nov 5, 19, 8:13 am

I waited until I got to the spot as I had no idea where or how long it would take to get to Central Parking. Heard the app may restrict ordering in advance due to distance to pick up location but didn’t try so YMMV.
Old Nov 5, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Have done it twice since it was rolled out for Terminal A. There is some confusion with riders and drivers. For riders, I think some people are failing to put their right location in the app. Uber prompts you when at the airport, but someone told me Lyft has not yet modified. For drivers, it sounds like the turn-off into the garage is not well-marked and some drivers are not aware of the change, so you get to watch them on the app as they drive past the turn and have to circle around again. Hopefully this will all work itself out as drivers and riders become more familiar with the change. Overall though, it is not bad, and unlike the old pick-up spot for Terminal A, you are under cover while waiting for pick-up. The walk is a bit longer, but most of it is inside and you can use moving sidewalks for a good portion of it.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
Ugh. Sounds like about what you'd expect from Massport - inattention to detail. I bet the cab drivers are happy though.

Do you call for your ride at the terminal, and they somehow calculate your walk time, or do you wait till you get to the pick up spot? GPS probably won't work well in there so hard to tell where you actually are, I'd guess, but maybe I'm wrong.
Signs suggest not ordering the ride until you're at the pickup area, but since GPS is spotty at that level of the garage, that seems questionable. Lyft app has you specify which terminal area to be picked up at.
Old Nov 12, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Just used it last night at Terminal C. Not really a big deal getting over there except for the logjam trying to get down the elevator in the garage. Within the terminal, since you have escalators easily available from even baggage claim to bridge level, it can help reduce the elevator clog to get up to the bridge. I suppose if they were designing the garage entrance today, they'd probably put an escalator down from the end of the bridge to level G.

I waited until at the pickup area to request ride. Lyft app couldn't autolocate, but instead just went to a list of pickup areas. So yes, if you don't know which terminal's pickup area you're in, it wouldn't work, but it was easy to just scroll the list for terminal C.

Plenty of waiting room and parking bays for drivers, only issue was everyone on the "platform" was clustering in the middle, making it hard for folks arriving to get out of the roadway to wait. Kinda like the Harvard Square T station - move down and use the whole platform!

Provided there's not a logjam at the garage elevators, I'd say it's only slightly longer from Terminal C to the pickup spot, and will be far more pleasant when raining. My driver said that it's been much easier so far on his end.
Old Nov 12, 19, 11:08 am
Original Poster

So there are different pick locations for each of the terminals? I didn't realize that, though I'll find out in person soon enough.

I recently noticed that the morning drop offs on the Arrivals level (started yesterday I think) won't apply to Terminal C at some point this winter "due to construction" so allow a bit of extra time if you're going to C in the morning. IIRC this changes happens in December.
Old Nov 12, 19, 11:35 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Yes, just as before there is a separate area within the garage for each terminal. I've only seen C's, but if the others follow, they'll be located fairly close to where the pedestrian bridge from that terminal "lands" on the garage side. It doesn't appear that MassPort yet indicates exactly where the pick up areas are on airport maps, though the signage from C was pretty good.

Not surprised about C one bit - it's probably got the worst curbside setup of any terminal at Logan given how tucked in a corner it is.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

So I came in a few hours ago via A. The signage right at baggage claim could have used a few directional arrows but other wise was fine. Over in central parking, I just walked down the 3 flights of stairs. Took me about 6 minutes from the terminal.

BUT, I got hosed in exactly the way I have been concerned about. Looked at the ride fares while in the terminal and saw $32 to my home, which is more or less normal. When I got over to the pickup area to actually take the ride, the fare was $83! Now they can do whatever they want with surge pricing, that is their business, but as a consumer I was quite annoyed that I did not see that price until after I'd missed to easy chance to take the competition, a cab. Was that intentional? I would not put it past them, they have my location, but it should be a bit weak while indoors.

I was quite annoyed and just walked back the 6 minutes and gave my business to a zero wait cab, which cost me $44, a normal cab fare.

The last time my wife came in to Logan she confirmed a ride for a reasonable price, but then the driver called and said she "couldn't make it" so she had to try again, and got the crazy surge price. We both bet that the driver dropped the fare because she saw she could get a lot more by accepting a new ride. (My wife had to cancel.. not the driver... adding to suspicions). That was before the app ride move, so she had no issue just walking over and taking a cab.

It's not going to take more than one or two more such experiences for me to give up on App rides from Logan. There's no wait for cabs these days

There were some folks hanging out around the app ride areas looking at their phones. I don't know how long the surges last. Perhaps you can game it. By the time I'd walked back to the terminal I was seeing Uber quotes in the low $70s. But I was not going to give them my business at that point.

Search this Thread