Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Wiley
New Year’s Day 2022. The entire lot was packed full of everything. Lots of choices. Haven’t seen a lot this full in a while. Most interesting vehicle was a Ram 2500 with the 6.4L engine. I’m really confused by this as the terms of contract don’t let you pull a trailer, but why else would someone need a 2500 rather than a 1500? National, why did you buy this truck? Is there really that much of a demand for a 3/4 ton truck that isn’t going to be hauling?
Enterprise truck rentals do allow towing, so maybe there is low demand and they don't want vehicles to sit too long in storage?
Wiley, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred / CP holder, National Exec Elite, Enterprise Gold
New Year’s Day 2022. The entire lot was packed full of everything. Lots of choices. Haven’t seen a lot this full in a while. Most interesting vehicle was a Ram 2500 with the 6.4L engine. I’m really confused by this as the terms of contract don’t let you pull a trailer, but why else would someone need a 2500 rather than a 1500? National, why did you buy this truck? Is there really that much of a demand for a 3/4 ton truck that isn’t going to be hauling?
Yes, I saw this sitting there on Christmas Eve next to the booth. I was definitely intrigued as well... If it was still there two weeks later, I wouldn't be surprised. There was a dad arguing with the lot attendant around 10:30pm on Christmas Eve trying to get something more family friendly.

Overall though, Dulles is one of my favorite locations to rent from. Excellent customer service and aisle selection every time.
Wiley likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:50 am

I wonder which day can I find a better selection in ES? Monday Afternoon, around 4 pm or tuesday morning?Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Gbenvenutor
I wonder which day can I find a better selection in ES? Monday Afternoon, around 4 pm or tuesday morning?Thanks
In general, mornings are better for selection.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:00 am

Every once in a while we will get a commercial truck dropped from somewhere that we weren’t expecting. Normally we will move it to one of our truck fleets (because they have the business for it and they allow towing on certain accounts) however if they have no need for it we will have it cleaned and prepared on the ready line. Every person who comes in with a one way rental (especially if they’re a big burly guy with an Alberta or Texas/Montana drivers license!) we’ll ask if they want it no extra charge just to get rid of it. Always works out and it’s bye-bye to the gigantic truck!
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:09 pm

Pick up Tuesday afternoon around 5 pm. ES has a few cars, 2021 bmw 430i, Alfa Romeo Stevio 2022, with 2000 miles in the Odometer (which I took) Also they pulled a bmw 330i 2021. The other cars: mini, altima, Camry, f-150. When I leaved, they were parking a bmw 740i in ES. Nice car selection and very helpful staff
Old Mar 12, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Pick up on 2/11 around 6pm.
Full lot - A good mix of midsize SUV, full size cars, 1x Armada, midsize / full size pick ups.
Took a new Grand Cherokee with 770 miles which was purchased from Koons.

ES - Q5, XT5
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:56 pm

Rented 4/12/22 around 5 PM. Executive and regular aisles looked strangely similar, both were packed out with Malibus. "Highlights" in Executive were a Chevy Traverse, RAV4, Jeep Wrangler, and a couple of 300s. I took a Nissan Rogue SV with 90 miles on the odometer (adaptive cruise won out considering how much driving I'll be doing). Sad to see this package lost the surround-view cameras compared to the 2021 model.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:58 am

My coworker picked up yesterday (6/8/22) late afternoon. He grabbed a Q7 Premium Plus from executive aisle. Also mentioned a couple of Mustang convertibles in executive.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Executive today had four or five Malibus, all LTs, four brand new Camry SEs (that had a "MAP" button on the display, but selecting it a message popped up saying that wasn't available), and other assortments of compact SUVs and sedans. Nothing Premium that I saw. I was going to grab one of the Camrys when I looked across at the Emerald aisle and spotted a Honda CR-V. It had 1300 miles on it and was a hybrid. I jumped on that as I'm driving about 1K and paying my own fuel bill. So far 45+ mpg. Not sure why that wasn't in the Executive aisle.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Jun 19, 2022 at 8:44 pm Reason: close parentheses
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Executive today had four or five Malibus, all LTs, four brand new Camry SEs (that had a "MAP" button on the display, but selecting it a message popped up saying that wasn't available), and other assortments of compact SUVs and sedans. Nothing Premium that I saw. I was going to grab one of the Camrys when I looked across at the Emerald aisle and spotted a Honda CR-V. It had 1300 miles on it and was a hybrid. I jumped on that as I'm driving about 1K and paying my own fuel bill. So far 45+ mpg. Not sure why that wasn't in the Executive aisle.
FYI, the map button pulls up Android Auto when your phone's connected.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
FYI, the map button pulls up Android Auto when your phone's connected.
OK, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I thought that it was for a factory nav that needed to be activated.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Ahh that's kinda depressing... I will be picking up a car on Friday. I was hoping I could score a Grand Cherokee. Been itching to drive the newly refreshed version. Guess I'll have to hope for the best!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by ThePathfinder
Ahh that's kinda depressing... I will be picking up a car on Friday. I was hoping I could score a Grand Cherokee. Been itching to drive the newly refreshed version. Guess I'll have to hope for the best!
Yeah, I didn't see anything close to that when I was there. The only bigger SUVs that I saw were Traverse's.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:28 pm

Fri July 1st around 12PM ish

Didn’t get a good look at EA because I was drawn to the only Jeep Grand Cherokee there. Turns out it was reserved LOL oops…. Anyways, when I asked the staff if they have another Grand Cherokee, they offered a Ford Explorer Limited 4WD instead, which I took.

ES
- Take your pick Malibu and Camry
- Mazda CX9
- Take your pick Equinox
- CR-V (hybrid!)
- Jeep Compass
- A few Ford Edges

Now onto the Ford Explorer:

Overall it’s a very ‘’meh’ car.

Performance:
It has the 2.3L 4 cylinder EcoBoost. It’s certainly Eco but I really don’t feel the boost. I averaged around 10.4 L/100km today after 150km of mixed driving. The 10 speed transmission keeps gear hunting all the time. When I want a little oomph, nothing happens. So I hit the gas a little harder then the transmission goes into panic mode and slams it into the lowest available gear and jerks and buckles the entire car. During normal driving, it feels like a CVT. It has a few drive modes but the screen actually lags when you switch between them…

Interior:
“meh” again. Has nice soft touch materials and features. Heated/Vented front seats, heated 2nd row seats and power folding 3rd row seats. But the screen is tiny for such a large (and high trim) crossover. Fit and finish is terrible. There are huge, uneven gaps between the fake wood trim and the piano black plastic bezel around the climate control/infotainment area. Rattles and squeaks galore too. The leather on the seats and steering wheel feel very rubbery.

The B&O system is really bass-heavy and unrefined. I can’t believe B&O let their name be used on a system like this. There’s no built in nav. Also, CarPlay is wired. I spent a good 5-10 minutes figuring out why CarPlay wasn’t popping up LOL.

Driver’s assist wise, it’s fully loaded. It has a 360 parking camera, front and rear park assist, ACC, Lane Keep and Blind Spot warning. It also has lane centring, but it’s available only when ACC is activated, which is annoying. On BMWs lane centring and cruise can be operated independently of each other.

Also this might be due to the chip shortage because this is a real head scratcher. It has tri zone climate. However, the rear zone can only be adjusted using the SYNC screen. The SYNC screen has a “rear control lock” button but the area where the physical buttons would be in the 2nd row area is just blank plastic.

All in all, it’s a fine rental car. It gets decent gas mileage and has pretty much all the tech you need. Will I drive it again? Sure. Will I go out of my way to pick an Explorer at the aisle? Probably not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.