Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at BWI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:53 pm

Have to agree with a previous poster that this isn't exactly the best-run National location. I was here recently on Saturday afternoon and the lot was almost empty. EA had a handful of boring Toyota sedans and ES had a total of five cars: 4 Altimas and a Ford Fusion Hybrid, all base model.

Got quite a bit of attitude from the guy at the front desk just for asking if anything more interesting was available (a polite "no" would not have upset me, and I was the only customer in the lot). Ended up taking the Fusion, which was fine although it had some kind of cleaning residue spilled all over the inside of the passenger door.

Overall I'd avoid this station if you can.

Last edited by stevez; Aug 7, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:28 am

Reserved a premium car at BWI and got directed into the lot by counter agents, was first offered Chrysler 300 in the lot and then decided to take a look at the EA aisle, saw mostly impala etc but there was a Jeep wrangler and a chevy camaro. Ended up asking for free upgrade to premier selection and was given an X3.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:44 pm

Picked up around 7am Sunday morning, maybe the flight was too early the lot was pretty much empty, NO car in EA, a few SUVs and Impalas in ES. Tried to take a premium selection car with PCAR res like last time and was given a straight no, even argued last time you let me but was told it is last time... Ended up with a 300.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:54 pm

When I fly into BWI, I typically rent a one-way to/from DCA as I live near there, have never seen a very good selection or full lot at BWI weekday or weekend. Rented on 10/23, and the only choice I had was what color of base Malibu, Altima or Camry- if I didn't want a Durango from ES.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Just want to share my experience at BWI National last week.

Picked up the car on Friday around 1100:
2018 GMC Yukon (mine), Ford Escape, Nissan Altima, Chrysler 300, Chevy Impala, Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Traverse, Toyota 4Runner, Ford Expedition, Hyundai Santafe, Toyota Camry and Nissan Pathfinder.

Returned the car on Monday around 1600:
Nissan Altima, Jeep Cherokee, Toyota Camry, Ford Mustang, Hyundai Sonata, Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300.

And in the Premier Selection:
Infiniti QX80, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade

I'll be uploading the pictures I took to National BWI page on Yelp.

And as posted on here, I used Chase UR points (partial) to book my reservation and was told I do not have access to the ES aisle. The same had I used hotwire, Priceline and other CC travel portals. Finally got the okay from a manager to pick a car from the ES aisle but even the gate attendant questioned me (and let me thru after calling the manager on her walkie).

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Nov 7, 2017 at 5:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
At 1 PM today, ES had a bunch of Malibu LT's, Altima SV's (even a base one with steel wheels), base Ford F150, Impala LT, Fusion Hybrids, 1 Chevy Equinox (previous generation, rental special), Ford Escape, low trim level Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and 2 Camry SE's.
Not a single V6 or V8 option or anything with leather seats. Most of these cars would be EA level at LAX or elsewhere. I picked up the Malibu LT because it has only 2 miles on it and I knew it had android auto. I'm only renting for a day, so I did not ask for anything better.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by Putnik
At 1 PM today, ES had a bunch of Malibu LT's, Altima SV's (even a base one with steel wheels), base Ford F150, Impala LT, Fusion Hybrids, 1 Chevy Equinox (previous generation, rental special), Ford Escape, low trim level Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and 2 Camry SE's.
Not a single V6 or V8 option or anything with leather seats. Most of these cars would be EA level at LAX or elsewhere. I picked up the Malibu LT because it has only 2 miles on it and I knew it had android auto. I'm only renting for a day, so I did not ask for anything better.
Not to pile on, but generally BWI is probably the worst large airport location. The selection is always mediocre on the Exec aisle, i.e. Impala LT is something to get excited about. Lack of cars is also a recurring theme. It's another reason, along with the pathetic shuttle service to even get to the rental car center, to avoid BWI.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:34 pm

Came in late and found I had a choice of 5 Malibus. On return 5pm on a Friday the ES was chock full, including a couple of chargers and a challenger.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mwk190
Not to pile on, but generally BWI is probably the worst large airport location. The selection is always mediocre on the Exec aisle, i.e. Impala LT is something to get excited about. Lack of cars is also a recurring theme. It's another reason, along with the pathetic shuttle service to even get to the rental car center, to avoid BWI.
Is PHL or DCA any better?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
I use PHL often- IMO much better than BWI- can be up and down like most locations depending on day and time of arrival, but often has a good selection. I also find they can be more accommodating on finding a different car if the aisle is light on better cars.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:00 pm

Thanks, I'll try to fly to PHL next time I go to Maryland as my project location is midway between Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:38 pm

Picked up this afternoon around 530pm, the airport shuttle was packed with passengers and there were people who couldn't get in the shuttle, looks like a busy day.

ES had very few cars, nothing interesting. EA had 2 chargers 1 challengers 1 C300, 1 suburban + 1 midsize SUV and others are your typical altima, impala etc.

PS had 430i, Q3, 2 XTS, asked and was offered 430i or white XTS others were reserved.

This has been a better day at BWI but still not as good as other big airports.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
Picked up this afternoon around 530pm, the airport shuttle was packed with passengers and there were people who couldn't get in the shuttle, looks like a busy day.

ES had very few cars, nothing interesting. EA had 2 chargers 1 challengers 1 C300, 1 suburban + 1 midsize SUV and others are your typical altima, impala etc.

PS had 430i, Q3, 2 XTS, asked and was offered 430i or white XTS others were reserved.

This has been a better day at BWI but still not as good as other big airports.

If the EA had a C300 in would of taken that 🤣
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
If the EA had a C300 in would of taken that 🤣
I got ES and EA mixed up, it's EA that is almost empty...
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:07 am

Picked up on 12/6 at 6:30am

Okay selection; nothing outstanding as others mentioned.

ES had Impalas, Malibu's, Tucson's, Santa Fe's, Altima's, Equinoxes
Standouts and singular vehicles were:
2 Suburbans
1 Challenger
1 Maxima
1 Camry
1 Ford Escape
1 Wrangler
1 Pathfinder
1 Armada
1 Jeep Limited

Chose the Escape as I wanted something with AWD/4WD and Baltimore roads aren't exactly the best. Brand new vehicle with only 4 miles on it, but pretty bare bones. Other than a backup camera, there weren't any additional features. Nice ride but felt somewhat under-powered at times. Should have gone with one of the Jeeps.

** Dropped off at 11:30pm and as I was passing
VIP had a
Mercedes GLS
Escalade
Audi A7

Premier:
BMW 5series
Infiniti QX60
Expedition (really??)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.