Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Yup, most likely the Ecoboost Mustang, but they do have the BMW 430C hard top convertible as well (if you get lucky, one poster have seen it placed on the ES aisle for the taking). I know they are also adding Mazda Miata RF hardtop convertible too (rented one out of KOA) but know the Mazda trunk is TINY and there's no back seat so probably not going to work for lot of people who are traveling this far for a hawaiian vacation.

Give us an update of what you are able to snag.
For something like that, I would JUMP on the Mustang (though I am a little biased because I drive one myself).

The convertible Mustang has almost as much trunk space as the coupe - at the expense of slightly less space in the back seat, That said, the back seat of the current-gen Mustangs are effectively useless for hauling actual humans, but you can get a couple of good-sized suitcases back there in the convertible.

The BMW gives up about 2/3 of its trunk space with the top down, and has a strangely awkward driving position in relation to the driver's door. I am 5'9, and always felt like I needed to move the seat back in order to get in & out. It just feels like I was sitting really deep in the footwell, and I had a hard time getting out around the hinge side of the door - even when I parked so that I could open it fully. That is saying a lot, given that I drive a Mustang, which also has crazy long doors.

I rented a Miata in Denver last week and it was kind of a hoot to drive. Harked me back to the MGB I drove when I was in my early 20's. As mentioned above, the trunk is tiny! I was able to put my 22" suitcase and backpack in, but it left me no place to put my water bottle down while I rearranged my stuff. The good news is that the top doesn't consume any (additional) trunk space. The bad news is that even though I am only 5'9", I had the seat all the way back and reclined as far as it would go, and I still kept finding myself wishing I could have another 1/4". It didn't feel as powerful as it seemed like it should be, given its size, but putting it in "Sport" mode helped a little (by generally holding 1 gear lower than it did in normal mode).

I haven't seen any Camaro convertibles at National for a while - maybe they have gotten rid of all of them. But if not, I would pass on that one, too. With the top up, the visibility is like driving a tank, or a submarine. With the top down, it has less usable trunk space than the Miata - unless you have a bunch of suitcases that are only 5" thick that you can slide under the "top protector" in the trunk. I was never able to get both my suitcase and my backpack in there with the top down. The Camaro also has a weird placement for the outboard seatbelt anchor that always left me with a bruise at the top of my left thigh after getting in and out a couple of times.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:39 pm

Rented from OGG about a week ago. The lot was surprisingly well-staffed, with three attendants greeting me as soon as I walked over from the shuttle, so I didn't have a chance to look around freely and take photos. From my vague memories, there were the usual sedans (Maxima and Malibu), 2 Suburbans, 1 Cherokee, 1 pick-up truck, and I took the X3 as soon as it was pulled in. That was on a Thursday at around noon, the aisle was maybe 60% stocked. Returned a week later, and the selection looks pretty much the same before I hopped on the shuttle. No convertible either time. Again, didn't have time to take accurate counts. Heard early-September is the slowest time for Maui, but resort front-desk did say they were sold-out because many people re-booked due to Hurricane Lane.

The X3 was fun to drive, though it didn't have backup camera, which is kind of weird since this car has almost everything else (built-in navigation, etc.). Definitely better than what I had expected.

On a side note, why do so many people rent Wranglers on Maui? Saw so many of them in hotel parking lots. I always go for them at KOA because of Mauna Kea, but Maui doesn't have any rough road worth traveling to. Just curious. Personally, I didn't enjoy driving a Wrangler on paved highway at all...
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ezak
Rented from OGG about a week ago. The lot was surprisingly well-staffed, with three attendants greeting me as soon as I walked over from the shuttle, so I didn't have a chance to look around freely and take photos. From my vague memories, there were the usual sedans (Maxima and Malibu), 2 Suburbans, 1 Cherokee, 1 pick-up truck, and I took the X3 as soon as it was pulled in. That was on a Thursday at around noon, the aisle was maybe 60% stocked. Returned a week later, and the selection looks pretty much the same before I hopped on the shuttle. No convertible either time. Again, didn't have time to take accurate counts. Heard early-September is the slowest time for Maui, but resort front-desk did say they were sold-out because many people re-booked due to Hurricane Lane.

The X3 was fun to drive, though it didn't have backup camera, which is kind of weird since this car has almost everything else (built-in navigation, etc.). Definitely better than what I had expected.

On a side note, why do so many people rent Wranglers on Maui? Saw so many of them in hotel parking lots. I always go for them at KOA because of Mauna Kea, but Maui doesn't have any rough road worth traveling to. Just curious. Personally, I didn't enjoy driving a Wrangler on paved highway at all...
Thanks for the report. Very interesting to see they had Suburban on the ES/EA for the taking, usually sullfize SUVs (esepcially at popular tourist areas) are very rarely seen just on the aisle for the taking. But guess it depends on the day's demand and lot needs.

I live in honolulu and rental Wranglers are everywhere. think Wrangler is popular because 1) you don't get the chance to drive one at home, it's got that "Jeep" image of adventure and ruggedness, and 2) you can open the top (very rare to have a open top suv vehicle) and take doors off which is fun to do.

But yeah otherwise you're right, there's no where much in Maui that needs a 4WD. It's mostly rented for the image/looks.

And you're right again in that the Wrangler is actually a very poor daily use car. It gets bad MPG, it rides poor, interior quality is subpar, interior space is not that much roomy compared to other SUV vehicles, etc.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Thanks for the report. Very interesting to see they had Suburban on the ES/EA for the taking, usually sullfize SUVs (esepcially at popular tourist areas) are very rarely seen just on the aisle for the taking. But guess it depends on the day's demand and lot needs.

I live in honolulu and rental Wranglers are everywhere. think Wrangler is popular because 1) you don't get the chance to drive one at home, it's got that "Jeep" image of adventure and ruggedness, and 2) you can open the top (very rare to have a open top suv vehicle) and take doors off which is fun to do.

But yeah otherwise you're right, there's no where much in Maui that needs a 4WD. It's mostly rented for the image/looks.

And you're right again in that the Wrangler is actually a very poor daily use car. It gets bad MPG, it rides poor, interior quality is subpar, interior space is not that much roomy compared to other SUV vehicles, etc.
Good point. I guess I forgot the excitement of getting into a Wrangler for the first time after driving it a lot on the Big Island.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:40 pm

Good point. I guess I forgot the excitement of getting into a Wrangler for the first time after driving it a lot on the Big Island.
Yeah I've driven my share of Wranglers and now I actively avoid them if I can, lol

The big island does have some very nice off-road destinations though
ezak likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat

What class of vehicle did you reserve?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dP21
What class of vehicle did you reserve?
Just the usual mid-size, as required by National to access the aisle.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Very unexciting selection on 10/21 at 1:30 pm. A dirty Ford Escape, a couple of pickups, a couple of mid size cars, and a Santa Fe exiting. Executive status at $261 for 6 days. Cancelled and went next door to Alamo for a Ford Edge (standard SUV) at $210.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Headed to OGG for a honeymoon and looking to cash in some rental credits. This is one time I'd like to be sure to have a nicer rental (fully loaded and/or a fancy badge). I'm torn between booking luxury or executive selection. I've pulled some gems out of other executive aisles in the past but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

I'd assume the worst case luxury class vehicle would be a CTS and cross my fingers to get something better (doesn't have to be luxury). I also know from reading up on this thread and from previous travels, that some of the better cars make appearances in the aisle.

Not sure if it's worth spending a couple extra bucks for the luxury reservation or if the car selection at OGG is good enough in the executive aisle not to sweat it. Pick up will likely be on a Tuesday afternoon for what it is worth.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:36 pm

Had three pick-ups from OGG in the past week:

1/15 9PM, full lot:
Mustang x 1
Challenger RT x 1
Wrangler x 1
Santa Fe x 1
Pick-up trucks x 2
Other sedans

1/16 7PM, full lot:
Mercedes sedan x 1
XT5 x 1
Wrangler x 2
Other sedans

1/20 3PM, almost empty lot:
Wrangler 4dr x 2
Wrangler 2dr x 1
Camaro x 1
Waited a bit and grabbed a X3

They seemed to be almost fully booked lately. Agents had a list of renters in hand and asked for names when customers step into the lot. Great service as usual.

One little issue is some of their cars don't have the Emerald Checkout QR code, which would be a bummer for anyone looking for the 50 bonus points.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:57 pm

Interesting. I'll be at OGG in about 1mo or so. Gonna be likely busy time since it is prime whale watching season right now over at Maui.

Thankfully I do not need any specific car, though I do wish they carried Prius (like HNL) for maximum MPG. But I do think they have hybrid Ford Fusions over there. Wranglers and Convertibles are going to be ubiquitously popular in all these islands for obvious reasons.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:18 pm

Thanks for the recent report.
Will be there soon also.

We we have several reservations...need to decide which ones to cancel.

Luxury at $250 for 6 days
standard suv for $273
4 door wrangler for $336
also fille size suv at alamo for $260

will likely cancel the wrangler.
I really need an suv for luggage and passengers.

What are the experiences with a lux res? If they don’t have an suv to offer I will cancel and go get the expedition from Alamo (and wait in the long line!).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Thanks for the recent report.
Will be there soon also.

We we have several reservations...need to decide which ones to cancel.

Luxury at $250 for 6 days
standard suv for $273
4 door wrangler for $336
also fille size suv at alamo for $260

will likely cancel the wrangler.
I really need an suv for luggage and passengers.

What are the experiences with a lux res? If they don’t have an suv to offer I will cancel and go get the expedition from Alamo (and wait in the long line!).
A luxury reservation is not guarantee for SUV. From my own memories and recent posts above possible luxury level cars include: Mercedes CLA, Cadillac CTS, BMW X3, Lincoln MKZ, BMW 430Ci hard top convertible.

If you need large room, you will likely need to get that fullsize SUV. It's a popular family/group vacation destination so they may not be able to give you a large SUV even on a luxury reservation if they are all booked for that day.

Definitely skip the Wrangler. Unless you're actually going on some decent off-road trails (very unlikely unless you know what you're doing or is a local), the Wrangler is a very poor SUV for on-road performance.

Last edited by ginmqi; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:38 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:45 pm

Arrived 3 pm on Monday.

Had as a luxury res and a standard suv res. Needed the space of an SUV but the luxury was cheaper and sometimes they offer a Luxury SUV on a lux res (not this location but generically speaking).

Upon arrival, explained to the staff that I had two reservations and needed an SUV. The only luxury offering was a XTS sedan. We walked back to the standard SUV spaces which had a Honda Pilot and a Explorer Limited (was told the explorer was held for someone). I asked about the Tahoe and suburban in the next spots over. He radiod and said I could take either of those since I’m an executive elite. At this time the lot superintendent came over and said that he noticed the luxury reservation was cheaper than the standard SUV res and that he would cancel the SUV res and let me keep the cheaper rate. Excellent service from staff here!!

ended up with the grey suburban with nav and 2000 miles.

other notables in the executive aisle:
Honda Accord
2x wrangler 2 door
the XTS I was offered on the lux res
Maxima

again, great staff here that are eager to please!

ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by pickles1107; Mar 2, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Feb 2018 data point

Had a couple minivans, small SUVs, and pick up trucks among the full-size cars in the exec aisle...

had a bunch of bags that clearly weren’t gonna fit and asked nicely if they had anything bigger that was being washed or in the back that they could pull out... the very nice attendant went to go check and quickly came back with a Tahoe with 6500 miles on it... we left happy customers
Joonydell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.