Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Yes. Even in the convertible format, it's a much more fun car. 2Labs should be happy and enjoy their good fortune!

I rented a Mustang over the summer with a 2.3L turbo It was fun, but it was no V8.

-J.
I've had a few Camaro's this year - including SS's and "regular" V8's in both coupes and convertibles. I rent a lot from larger airports that usually have a pretty good selection - so far this year, 65 rentals with 131 rental days.

I'm not saying this isn't a great rocketship, but I was looking for a Challenger R/T as I really love that car, the HEMI, the rumble from it. 5th gear on the highway at 75 and you can still hear and feel it Also, this is a trip with my better 1/2 and it's been a top up vacation the whole time - and not because the weather hasn't been good enough. My wife has relatively long hair, and well it's not worth the argument. I have run to the store for a few top down rides, though.

We are planning to head out to Sedona tomorrow, so bring your hat and pony tail holder

Of all the Camaro's I've rented or come across this year, I will say the one with the warthog paint scheme is the baddest of them all. We had Hot Passes for the NASCAR race in Phoenix this weekend, so we got to get up close and personal with cars, drivers, teams and haulers in the garage and on pit road. It was a great weekend of racing, and is our last race of the year.

Next up, California Speedway in Feb/March, where I have Emerald Reserved an American Muscle Car. The description states Ford Mustang GT Convertible or similar. We rented a 2.4L Turbo Mustang Convertible in Charlotte for race week earlier this year, I'm looking forward to the GT version in a couple of months!

Last edited by 2Labs; Nov 10, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:33 am

I’m heading to PHX on Thursday (11/14) midday, any insight on what SUVs are available? See any XC90 lately?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Car selection at PHX is highly variable depending on date and time of arrival. It's a very high volume location and there's really no predicting what they're going to have.

I was there Saturday afternoon and it was virtually all pick-up trucks, one Altima, an Audi Q3 that someone grabbed just ahead of me, and a Lincoln Continental. I took the Lincoln and was pretty happy with it.

I've not seen an XC90 at PHX in some time.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Kacee
Car selection at PHX is highly variable depending on date and time of arrival. It's a very high volume location and there's really no predicting what they're going to have.

I was there Saturday afternoon and it was virtually all pick-up trucks, one Altima, an Audi Q3 that someone grabbed just ahead of me, and a Lincoln Continental. I took the Lincoln and was pretty happy with it.

I've not seen an XC90 at PHX in some time.
I don't remember where I posted it, but recently I said on another thread that the Continental is hands-down the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

-J.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I don't remember where I posted it, but recently I said on another thread that the Continental is hands-down the most comfortable car I've ever driven.
I prefer my A5, but would happily choose the Lincoln again. Very solid and smooth riding with super comfortable seats. And the Apple Play works!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:16 am

I swapped the Camaro SS Convertible today at PHX - Our vacation is getting extended with a few work days in Albuquerque. The selection today was OK: a fair amount of standard sedans (NIssan, Chevy), a BMW 4 series rolled in, quite a few SUV's including Expeditions, Suburbans, Infiniti Q60's, Cadillac XT5, a couple base Challengers, 2 base Camaro V8 hardtops, a Camaro SS hardtop in the Premium slot, some minivans and pickup trucks and 2 Dodge Charger GT 6cyls.

I waited around, and asked to see if they had any 8cyl Challenger R/T's or Charger R/T's in the back and was told they had very few of them. After about 20 minutes I left with the 6cyl Charger GT that I was hovering around.

There were some Camaro and Mustang convertibles in the aisles behind the Enterprise booth - that are available to Executive members if you ask for them.

Overall the Charger GT is a pretty nice car. This car has cloth seats, paddle shifters, the upgraded body package and the sport and Super Track Pack option ... which I am surprised is available on a 6cyl. While I would have preferred the Hemi engine, this 6cyl is pretty surprising in its performance and get up and go. Today we took the 472 mile trip from Phoenix to Albuquerque, with a stop at the Meteor Crater National Landmark.

While getting the car setup for my preferences, I noticed that one of the previous renters got the car up to 117 MPH. Challenge accepted! The ride from PHX to ABQ is a long ride with plenty of stretches of straight road you can stretch the cars legs ...

xienon and missingcolours like this.

Last edited by 2Labs; Nov 23, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:41 am

November 18, decent Executive selection. I took a Cadillac XT5. Not a bad ride, but seemed to lack effective traction control. Was able to spin the wheels pretty easily, which really should not be possible in a modern AWD vehicle (at least not without turning traction control off).
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:01 pm

I love the sharp handling of Camaros too much to trade one for a v6 anything, but the Challenger R/T's are a wonderful roadtrip car, the most practical of the American muscle trio, with an amazing stock (dual-mode) exhaust.

The Camaro SS though seems relatively hard to come by in California, between both Hertz and National.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:19 pm

Pretty good selection of luxury vehicles tonight in the Executive Selection if not a lot else.

3+ Mercedes SLC300
Audi Q3
BMW 530i
Volvo S60
Couple Infiniti Q50s
Couple Cadillac XTSes
Bunch of Challengers and Chargers, all V6

There were also a couple base model pickups and small SUVs. No 7 passenger vehicles.
xienon and 2Labs like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Arrived Friday 12/13 at about 11:45 am.

Really nice executive selection with a lot of variety.

Multiple camaro convertibles
multiple chargers and challengers (no R/T’s)
2x Buick convertibles
multiple altimas and maximas
at least 2x Infiniti QX60
1x Infiniti Q50 sedan
1 Mercedes GLA250
1 Volvo XC90
multiple minivans (mostly saw caravans)
1 cadillac XTS

I took the 2020 GLA with less than 2000 miles. No blind spot monitoring or apple car play. Wish we took the Volvo.
2Labs likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: National Emerald Club/AAdvantage/Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by 2Labs
I swapped the Camaro SS Convertible today at PHX - Our vacation is getting extended with a few work days in Albuquerque. The selection today was OK: a fair amount of standard sedans (NIssan, Chevy), a BMW 4 series rolled in, quite a few SUV's including Expeditions, Suburbans, Infiniti Q60's, Cadillac XT5, a couple base Challengers, 2 base Camaro V8 hardtops, a Camaro SS hardtop in the Premium slot, some minivans and pickup trucks and 2 Dodge Charger GT 6cyls.

I waited around, and asked to see if they had any 8cyl Challenger R/T's or Charger R/T's in the back and was told they had very few of them. After about 20 minutes I left with the 6cyl Charger GT that I was hovering around.

There were some Camaro and Mustang convertibles in the aisles behind the Enterprise booth - that are available to Executive members if you ask for them.

Overall the Charger GT is a pretty nice car. This car has cloth seats, paddle shifters, the upgraded body package and the sport and Super Track Pack option ... which I am surprised is available on a 6cyl. While I would have preferred the Hemi engine, this 6cyl is pretty surprising in its performance and get up and go. Today we took the 472 mile trip from Phoenix to Albuquerque, with a stop at the Meteor Crater National Landmark.

While getting the car setup for my preferences, I noticed that one of the previous renters got the car up to 117 MPH. Challenge accepted! The ride from PHX to ABQ is a long ride with plenty of stretches of straight road you can stretch the cars legs ...

How do swaps work? Never tried this
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Originally Posted by camk500
Just bring the car back to the return line. Tell the attendant, that you need to exchange the car due to any problem you’ve found with the car, or that you get a back pain from driving that car. Or if you have a better reason use that.
They’ll write exchange on your receipt and direct you to the aisles. Once you find your new car proceed to check out, hand over the receipt from the old car and let the attendant know you’re exchanging.
I’ve done it a few times. The only time I was being challenged was, when I exchanged the second time, on the same rental agreement.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by camk500
This was on a separate reservation ... so realistically not a "swap" on a single reservation.

I had the Camaro SS Convertible rented with Free days and work called during the final days of my vacation and asked if I could get to Albuquerque. Delta doesn't fly from PHX to ABQ, so we saddled up for the drive.I figured my wife had enough of the Camaro and would appreciate the extra room for the 8+ hour drive.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
I was there late on a Friday night. Slim pickins on the aisle and EE, I asked for something nice and big, they gave me a QX60
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:45 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Arrived about 9pm on Tuesday 1/28. Everybody was being directed to the ES -- maybe EA was out, or they just didn't want to bother with discriminating? Anyway, the pickings were pretty sparse. Trucks, minivans, a solitary RAV4, midsize Nissan sedans... and one Range Rover Velar off in a corner that I grabbed. Seems nice so far, although I can't quite get the seat comfy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.