Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury SUV reservation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Luxury SUV reservation

For my free days cert, I was able to reserve Luxury SUV.
Would you please share your experience on what cars you've gotten in the past?
I called National CSR and they said either Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade or Infiniti QX80.
In honesty, I don't really have to have an SUV but figured the chance of getting a nicer Luxury car is higher with a Lux SUV reservation.
I'm hoping for the Audi Q7 but do they have either the BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Merz GLC/GLS, BMW 5 series, Audi A6 or Merz E-class as an option without having to pay for an upgrade?
FWIW, I'm an EC EE. Thank you for all your help. ^
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
For my free days cert, I was able to reserve Luxury SUV.
Would you please share your experience on what cars you've gotten in the past?
I called National CSR and they said either Lincoln Navigator, Cadillac Escalade or Infiniti QX80.
In honesty, I don't really have to have an SUV but figured the chance of getting a nicer Luxury car is higher with a Lux SUV reservation.
I'm hoping for the Audi Q7 but do they have either the BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Merz GLC/GLS, BMW 5 series, Audi A6 or Merz E-class as an option without having to pay for an upgrade?
FWIW, I'm an EC EE. Thank you for all your help. ^
As luxury SUVs aren't hugely plentiful at most locations, I would think they would go out of their way to have a luxury SUV ready for you when you go to pick it up.

Ron.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:13 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
YMMV but some stations will hold you to the letter of the reservation and some won't. I've experienced it both ways where reserving the most expensive class, I was allowed to select from other vehicle classes or not.

For a luxury SUV, the ones you listed are most likely for that sort of reservation (Cadillac/Lincoln/Infiniti). Q7 is rare, haven't seen any X5s in a while, XC90s are there, haven't seen any of the MB products at National (Hertz has them), A6 is in the fleet, 5er is in too.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I did a Luxury SUV reservation (free day cert x3) in PHX and got a QX80. It was nice. I think the location will give you what they have in that category.

I did a normal mid-size reservation (paid) in LAS and got a Q7.

MSRP on the Q7 and QX80 are about the same IIRC.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I booked luxury with free days and scored a Q7 in ONT.
​​​​​​Depends on luck of the draw.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I guess it's the luck of the draw. In general practice, are they pretty good in letting you pick up car from the "Premier Selection" on a Luxury SUV reservation? If not free, with a minimal upgrade? And if you've experienced this, how much did they charge you for the upgrade?

And have you actually seen the new Navigator in National lot? I've only seen the Escalade which sat in the Premier space. Which led me to believe I may be able to pick up from the Premier space as long as I have a reservation for it.

Thank you again ^
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Where are you renting from?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

SNA airport on July 4th weekend
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I posted this in the "Cars in LAX" thread but since it's related to Luxury SUV reservation, I'll post it here as well.

Had a Lux SUV reservation for SNA. They only had QX80 so we picked up an Audi A4 with 5K miles instead, with the intention of swapping it once we got to LAX to pick up a friend. Pulled into LAX location and told the lot attendant of our intention and was sent to the desk. At first, the desk at the agent was not friendly at all and told us the only option is either the QX80 or Escalade. When I said neither, he said take it or leave it. Then he said go check out the Executive Aisle. I walked out and saw the usual choices. I passed by the Premier section and saw a Range Rover Sport HSE and a Mazda Miata! I asked how much for the RR and the lot attendant said $80/day for EE. I spotted a Benz C300 way far in the "storage" lot by the exit booth. I started walking to it when the station manager approached me wondering what I'm doing. I told him I'm exchanging and he said I can't take the Benz unless I'm going to return it in LAX. On my way back in, I spotted the new Navigator. I asked the same manager if I can take instead and he said yes, for an upgrade fee. I know this wasn't true so I went back to the desk and gave the desk agent the license plate number of the Navigator. He walked outside "to look for the car", returned and said he couldn't find it and that "someone may have taken it". Mind you no other customer has gone to the lot since then. Then he said I can go ahead and take the Range Rover Sport for no charge.

Very nice SUV indeed, nice drive from LAX down to San Diego and back to Orange County. At first I thought it had 18K miles but noticed it's in Km's. Even when I returned the SUV in SNA, the lot attendant was confused at first, I took out my phone and showed her the miles to km's conversion and she was good with that. At first I thought the SUV had very good gas mileage considering I only used half a tank with all of that driving until it costs me $80 to fill up the half tank. Yikes! But a good ride for $8 bucks for the two days, thanks to my Free Days cert.
strickerj and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:36 am

I have to admit, I found you going behind the manager's back after being specifically told only with a fee, a little sketchy. Yes the Navigator is a Luxury SUV but it was for you to convince the manager of why you should get it, on a one way rental not originating from his station; not going behind his back and involving a lot employee. I would see more reason to your cause if that was the only thing they had in your booked class, but you were given options.

With that said you didn't clarify whether the manager understood you were on a Lux SUV vs Lux reservation. I personally would not have tried to sidestep his decision especially since National doesn't guarantee a particular choice.
dwbf11 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:46 pm

Especially since the car he was asking for - a RR Sport - is not even in the Luxury SUV class at National. He was offered three different choices at various points in the story, all of which comported with the class guidelines (QX80 or Escalade), chose not to take them and took a lower class, then complained, and went around a manager's decision. Sorry, but I'm just not feeling very sympathetic here either.
Yellowjj likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Whoaaaa I was not asking for sympathy by sharing this rental experience using the Free Days cert on a Lux SUV reservation. I thought FT discussions mostly about getting something big & luxurious for very little money?

Though I'm curious why would National used Lincoln Navigator as an example for Luxury SUV and specifically stated "Lincoln Navigator" or similar, only to turn around by asking for an upgrade fee on said Lincoln Navigator? What's the difference between my Lux SUV experience compared to let's say you rented a minivan and National listed "Dodge Caravan or similar", only to arrive at the lot and requested to pay an upgrade fee for an actual Dodge Caravan?

Oh yeah, I specifically stated to the station manager that I have a Lux SUV reservation when starting my conversation with him. I never ask for a free swap for the RR Sport. I only asked how much for the upgrade and that conversation was with a completely different lot attendant.

I did assumed the manager provided incorrect information at the time which is why I went to the desk agent to possibly obtain the right information to include the "possible" upgrade fee if I were to take the Navigator with my Lux SUV reservation.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:14 pm

The key words are "or similar." There could be any reason - or no reason at all - why you were not offered a Lincoln Navigator at the LAX station on a Luxury SUV reservation that originated from another station. As @Yellowjj noted above, it could be because the manager wanted to keep the Navigator for local (LAX-LAX) rentals, it could be because a VIP had asked for it and it was being held for that person, or it could be because he didn't like the shirt you had on. The point is that you were offered two other choices (QX80 and Escalade) within your reserved class, and that is all that was required of the staff at both the SNA and LAX locations. There's no obligation for them to give you any particular vehicle. If reserving an exact car is important to you, you should try Hertz next time, which does offer a "guarantee this exact car" reservation.

And please don't tell me you typed this

I did assumed the manager provided incorrect information at the time which is why I went to the desk agent to possibly obtain the right information to include the "possible" upgrade fee if I were to take the Navigator with my Lux SUV reservation.
with a straight face - if the person in charge of a business tells you something, is it your usual practice to go to the lower level employee to get a different answer?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
The key words are "or similar." There could be any reason - or no reason at all - why you were not offered a Lincoln Navigator at the LAX station on a Luxury SUV reservation that originated from another station. As @Yellowjj noted above, it could be because the manager wanted to keep the Navigator for local (LAX-LAX) rentals, it could be because a VIP had asked for it and it was being held for that person, or it could be because he didn't like the shirt you had on. The point is that you were offered two other choices (QX80 and Escalade) within your reserved class, and that is all that was required of the staff at both the SNA and LAX locations. There's no obligation for them to give you any particular vehicle. If reserving an exact car is important to you, you should try Hertz next time, which does offer a "guarantee this exact car" reservation.

And please don't tell me you typed this

with a straight face - if the person in charge of a business tells you something, is it your usual practice to go to the lower level employee to get a different answer?
My post stated the manager tried to charge me an upgrade fee for taking the Lincoln Navigator. It had nothing to do with me not being offered the Navigator. He said I CAN take the Navigator, for an upgrade fee. I never once said I was not offered the Navigator. If he wanted to keep it local, he should not have offered it to me. Again, I will assume that he had forgotten that I mentioned I had a Lux SUV reservation when he said of the upgrade fee. People do make mistakes, including management.

And no, I went to the desk agent because I already know the correct answer, not for the agent to override the manager decision. I *know* I cannot be charged an upgrade fee for taking a car in my reserved class.

My original post was meant to share that I was given the RR Sport off the Premier lot, without asking for that particular vehicle, using my free days cert. I did not make a big deal about what the manager had said beside a one liner stating of what was said.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:41 pm

Whoaaaa I was not asking for sympathy by sharing this rental experience using the Free Days cert on a Lux SUV reservation. I thought FT discussions mostly about getting something big & luxurious for very little money?
It is and they fulfilled that by offering you something big and luxurious three times, to be fair.

Though I'm curious why would National used Lincoln Navigator as an example for Luxury SUV and specifically stated "Lincoln Navigator" or similar, only to turn around by asking for an upgrade fee on said Lincoln Navigator? What's the difference between my Lux SUV experience compared to let's say you rented a minivan and National listed "Dodge Caravan or similar", only to arrive at the lot and requested to pay an upgrade fee for an actual Dodge Caravan?
My thing is not the upgrade fee. It's not communicating with the manager and dealing with any issues you had. As soon as the manager told me it would require a upgrade fee, I would ask why when it's my reserved class. Then we continue the conversation from there. Telling the manager okay regarding what he said and then going back to the counter to inquire about why you need to pay a fee seems counterproductive.

As for the Minivan scenario, I would not have been offered 3 different Caravans or similar and still be looking.

Oh yeah, I specifically stated to the station manager that I have a Lux SUV reservation when starting my conversation with him. I never ask for a free swap for the RR Sport. I only asked how much for the upgrade and that conversation was with a completely different lot attendant.

Everyone makes mistakes, he could have forgotten or just heard the luxury part when you spoke to him. That goes back to my previous point of simply clarifying everything with the manager one time. Questions like, "Why do I need to pay a upgrade fee, Why can't I take certain cars one way"....etc, etc, should have been asked right there and then. I mean why not take advantage of the big boss having a conversation with you.
dwbf11 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.