Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Is National's Twitter rep always this useless? Boilerplate response to serious issue.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is National's Twitter rep always this useless? Boilerplate response to serious issue.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I had a very serious issue on Saturday evening at one of National's stations, DM'ed the National Twitter rep and the response made it clear that my DM wasn't even read, but simply responded to with a boilerplate.

Serious as in potentially put me in danger.

Not sure what next steps should be -- Better Business Bureau? Consumer Protection Commission? State consumer protection agency in the state where this happened?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I had a very serious issue on Saturday evening at one of National's stations, DM'ed the National Twitter rep and the response made it clear that my DM wasn't even read, but simply responded to with a boilerplate.

Not sure what next steps should be -- Better Business Bureau? Consumer Protection Commission? State consumer protection agency in the state where this happened?
BBB doesn't do a thing. So don't even try that. If it's serious enough to go to government officials, I'd at least make as many calls as you can. Social media isn't the place to get satisfaction. At least not from National.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

You might get more helpful responses if you could provide more details, such as the nature of the safety issue, their response, and where this happened.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
If you have a serious-potentially-put-me-in-danger situation, social media is probably not the most effective nor most expedient way to get to you to safety.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I agree social media is not the place for safety issues..

With that said, Nationals social media department is really really bad.. I would use other words, but want to remain civilized..
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
I tried using twitter to tell National about a car I picked up once that had tires so bald the threads were showing (also a safety issue). I got no response at all. I ended up calling them and eventually got to someone who could help.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Some of you may disagree that this is a safety issue, but to me it could have potentially affected my personal safety indeed if the wrong police officer were to pull me over:

Anyway, here's my exchange with National's Twitter Customer "Service" rep (leaving out the reservation confirmation # which I started with):

The National iPhone app told me that I could not use Emerald Aisle because my credit card is new to my profile and that I need to go to the counter at SEA. So I do so. I am told there, no, I need to go downstairs to the person on duty at the cars. So, I do so. She tells me, no that I need to give my card to the person at the exit.....

She then proceeds to tell me that "Our computers are always down on Sunday night" and there is nothing she can do and to just pick a car and go to the exit.

I go to the exit where I show my credit card and drivers license. The person there takes 10 minutes to write down many many things down because "the computer is down." She even asks me how long my reservation is for! She finally tells me I am free to go.

I point out that I have NOTHING in my possession to prove that I haven't stolen the car, nothing to show the police if I get pulled over when they ask for registration, and that I want SOMETHING in writing from National that shows I'm entitled to be driving the car. She says "we don't do that." I ask her if National will pay the fine if I am stopped for driving a car without a current paperwork showing I'm entitled to have the car of if National will bail me out of jail if the police think I have stolen the car. She just says "No, you need to leave now."

So I did.

But that may well be the last time I rent from National and I'll be sharing on social media that your "Sunday night computer down policy" puts drivers at risk because you will not give anything in writing showing that the driver is entitled to be in possession of the car.

In the past, I had considered National the gold standard of rental car companies (and wished I could rent from you more, but you prices are always much higher than the competition). But I will be very leery of renting from you any more, not just because you put me at risk of driving a vehicle with no written permission to show the policy, but because you wasted my time by having the app tell me to go to the counter and wait when that was not in fact necessary

I will look forward to your response.

National Car Rental: Hi, cblaisd! Thanks for contacting the Social Media Team about your experience in Seattle. We appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences, especially at busy branches like SEA where jams and oversights can occur. I have passed your comments onto our SEA upper management team so that they are aware of your experience and can address this issue with staff immediately. In the future, I encourage you to bring these issues to the attention of the rental location as soon as possible so that they have the chance to address them with you directly and make it right. Thank you for choosing National. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Please tweet us anytime and let us know how we can assist you with your future rental needs. – [name and reference # removed]
cblaisd: Did you even read my DM?? When you say "I encourage you to bring these issues to the attention of the rental location as soon as possible so that they have the chance to address them with you directly and make it right" did you note that that's exactly what I did and NO ONE at the SEA station would take any responsibility, leaving me at risk while driving!?!. No response would have been better than this boilerplate one
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:51 pm

Reading your post I'm curious; are you required to have the actual contract on hand at all times?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

I don't know how else to prove I am entitled to be in possession of the car.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Reading your post I'm curious; are you required to have the actual contract on hand at all times?
It's been awhile since I rented from a true Emerald Aisle location (my main location is an Emerald Booth), but I don't recall getting a printed contract; just the Emerald Club hang-tag inside the car that mentioned that the car was rented under a master rental agreement.

Most of the time my rental agreement (from the Emerald Booth) does not have the vehicle section filled in, so it doesn't really identify that I'm authorized to have that particular vehicle.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
I don't know how else to prove I am entitled to be in possession of the car.
If you have the app on a smart phone, it will show the car assigned to you.

(if it's working - it's been down this week.

Ron.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I've never been handed a contract when I rent off the aisle. It's a stretch to say that not being given a copy of the rental agreement is a "serious potentially put me in danger" issue.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:57 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else on this one. There's no "danger" to you and I can't recall the last time I was given a printed contract. Risk of inconvenience? Perhaps. But any doubts about your right to be operating the rental in question are easily resolved either by showing the mobile app as suggested above or a quick call to the Emerald 1-800 number (or the station you rented from). Many years ago I recall we had an LEO post something about a special database that law enforcement can use to quickly look up renter details as well that all of the rental agencies participate in, though I don't know if that is still something in use today.

Also, you aren't required to be driving around showing proof of entitlement to be driving the car. What you're obligated to have is the registration, which should be in the glove box.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
I have rented from the aisle for the past three years and I have never received a contract in hand. The only time I ever receive paperwork is when I rent from the desk at a local branch.

Your concern over being pulled over by the police is a bit of an extreme situation... well, maybe not if it happens to you often. However, if there is ever a case where you are stopped by the police, they will just ask you to call National and have someone confirm your rental. I had to do this once when I had my car towed and all I was required to do was show them my executive elite membership card and to call national.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qs933
...just the Emerald Club hang-tag inside the car that mentioned that the car was rented under a master rental agreement.
Interesting. There was no hang-tag either.

Originally Posted by newfbc
If you have the app on a smart phone, it will show the car assigned to you.
My app did not show the car.

Originally Posted by bkgoodness
...However, if there is ever a case where you are stopped by the police, they will just ask you to call National and have someone confirm your rental. I had to do this once when I had my car towed and all I was required to do was show them my executive elite membership card and to call national.
Again, interesting indeed.... Given the IT shown by National ("Our computer is always down on Sunday night" and no assigned car in the app), I wouldn't want to depend on being able to successfully call and get proof. And I don't carry my National card with me.

Appreciate the education. If indeed this is SOP for National then I have to say I like Hertz, et al, better where I have a contract in-hand before leaving the station.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.