Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Quattro
Ended up with a 2016 Grand Cherokee with 400miles on it which is a decent mid sized SUV.
Assuming it was a Limited, I can't really think of a better non-Luxury 2-row SUV on the market...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Assuming it was a Limited, I can't really think of a better non-Luxury 2-row SUV on the market...
All of the Grand Cherokees I've had are well equipped Limited models.

Short of a Land Rover, they are a great SUV.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, National EE
About three weeks ago I arrived on a Friday evening (about 7:00 p.m.) and there was a large selection in the Executive Aisle. This was my first rental with National - I recently received Executive status through AmEx Platinum. Anyway, I picked a well appointed 2016 Dodge Charger with about 400 miles on it. I had it for two weeks and it was fun to drive.

This evening (Saturday) I arrived at about 10:30 p.m. and the Executive Aisle had only small SUVs, not a single sedan type of vehicle. I went to the booth and mentioned that they didn't have much of a selection in the Executive Aisle...the agent asked if I wanted to choose something from the VIP side. They had a Chrysler 300 (about 3k miles, but I can't stand the body style), a Chevy Impala (7k miles), a Nissan Maxima (1700 miles), and a Dodge Challenger. I was tempted to go with the Challenger, but the 2-door model wouldn't be the best option for my work trip. I opted for the Maxima, it incudes navigation and has a sport mode - this will be another fun car to drive.

There were a few larger vehicles in the VIP section but I didn't look at them - I'm not really an SUV driver.

The booth agent was really friendly and helpful. When exiting, the computer systems were down so they were doing everything manually. She assured me that there wouldn't be an up-charge, but I'll verify once I get the confirmation email, hopefully tomorrow.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
It was a Limited. Great interior engine was a bit underpowered but overall a quality EE row selection.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Quattro
Came thru around 10:30 Thursday night, EE row was full of mini SUV things and a couple Impalas. The upgrade spot had a Ghibli, a Cayman and one I had not seen before a white Stingray. Thought about getting the Corvette but with the stupid rain and wind I didn't think I's be able to really drive it the way I would want. Ended up with a 2016 Grand Cherokee with 400miles on it which is a decent mid sized SUV.
It is nice to see these kinds of cars and $100 to upgrade to a Ghibli, Corvette or even the 750i I saw is a relative bargain compared to what Hertz will offer on an upgrade.

I passed on the Corvette too with the crappy weather and got an SRX for no upcharge. I like that one too, very comfortable and well equipped.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AS 75K - HHonors/SPG/Ritz Carlton Gold - IHG Spire Elite - National Executive
Mid-Feb 2016:

Chevy Tahoe (!)
Kia Optima Hybrid
Buick Lacrosse
Dodge Dart
Ford Focus
Dodge Charger
Dodge Grand Caravan

Better experience than I've had at the Seatac rental site in previous years. Quick and easy.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Picked up a car late on a Tuesday night. Both aisles had mostly SUVs and minivans and a few other cars.

I'm EE and picked a Toyota Sequoia, which is the closest thing to a monster truck that I've ever driven. Despite the 3 ton weight, it's quite sporty, thanks to the 5.7L V8 engine. On the freeway, it felt odd to look down at other SUVs, especially the ones that I would usually consider large.

But alas, it was not to last, as the Sequoia didn't fit in the underground parking of the hotel. Going from one extreme to the other, I'm now driving a Ford Mustang convertible with CA license plates. It's probably one of the only convertibles in Seattle, as you can't reserve one on the website.

The VIP / Executive Selection ~10 different cars, including a Tesla for $100/day.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Tesla in rental fleets

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The VIP / Executive Selection ~10 different cars, including a Tesla for $100/day.
Nice touch, a Tesla. The advantage I see is preferred parking at SEA hotels. Can the Tesla be reserved?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:14 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Picked up late Friday Night and the line was full to the brim. Lots of variety but nothing outstanding apart from a couple of highlights. The Upcharge area was a Tesla and a Porsche SUV. Lots of trucks (Ram 1500s, F150s and a Nissan Titan) and a good proportion of SUVs of all different sizes and types. The VIP area had a Ford Taurus Titanium & a Lincoln Navigator.

The few highlights was the Ford Explorer Sport with 4 miles (almost took it) the Chrysler 300S with 6 miles on it (VIP Area) and the Escalade. The Escalade was my pick and it was probably the biggest upgrade I have gotten from an Aisle choice before, but also the best car from the aisle I have scored. Absolute Sweet ride.

Saturday night drop back was absolutely empty though, so be mindful of that!
Old May 24, 2016, 12:17 pm

I am staying at the Olive 8 downtown, and don't want to pay the parking charges every evening. I am considering doing some rentals for the day, but don't want to trek back to the airport.

Would the selection in-town (downtown) be that much worse on the Executive aisle?

I know SEA has a decent selection........sometimes.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by factory81
I am staying at the Olive 8 downtown, and don't want to pay the parking charges every evening. I am considering doing some rentals for the day, but don't want to trek back to the airport.

Would the selection in-town (downtown) be that much worse on the Executive aisle?

I know SEA has a decent selection........sometimes.
During cruise season, the downtown selection can be very limited, especially on weekends - it's not uncommon for them to run out of cars by the afternoon.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
I've booked a 1-way rental to Canada (YYC in my case). I'm Executive, but my reservation says:
  • Upon arrival, please proceed to the National Car Rental counter.
Not:
  • Upon arrival, please proceed to the Executive area to choose your vehicle.

Is this normal? And does this mean I'll be limited in my option to pick a vehicle? Arriving ~10pm on a Sat night.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by austinpop
I've booked a 1-way rental to Canada (YYC in my case). I'm Executive, but my reservation says:
  • Upon arrival, please proceed to the National Car Rental counter.
Not:
  • Upon arrival, please proceed to the Executive area to choose your vehicle.

Is this normal? And does this mean I'll be limited in my option to pick a vehicle? Arriving ~10pm on a Sat night.
Technically, they want you to check in at the booth to receive the car THEY want you to drive to Vancouver...just ignore it and take what you want off the aisle and go. You can take the keys from an aisle car and hold it while looking to see what they put aside for you (it might be a pleasant surprise, or a rude awakening), and if you don't like it, just say no and walk back to the aisle and drive off with what you want.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Technically, they want you to check in at the booth to receive the car THEY want you to drive to Vancouver...just ignore it and take what you want off the aisle and go. You can take the keys from an aisle car and hold it while looking to see what they put aside for you (it might be a pleasant surprise, or a rude awakening), and if you don't like it, just say no and walk back to the aisle and drive off with what you want.
Thanks for the guidance. For the record, it's Calgary, so perhaps there's a lot fewer cars doing one-ways in the other direction. My concern is just driving off with an EA car, and being dinged on additional charges at the other end for some reason.

Are the cars that are "put aside" parked somewhere prominent, where I can check them out before deciding?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by austinpop
Thanks for the guidance. For the record, it's Calgary, so perhaps there's a lot fewer cars doing one-ways in the other direction. My concern is just driving off with an EA car, and being dinged on additional charges at the other end for some reason.

Are the cars that are "put aside" parked somewhere prominent, where I can check them out before deciding?
At 10pm, the main Emerald greeter booth should still be open and staffed - just ask which cars are set aside for Canadian one-ways and see what they have or can arrange for you. It's entirely possible they won't have any, and will just send you in a US tagged car, knowing it will eventually need to make its way back.

If you don't like the car they assign, just wander off to the aisle and get what you want - any additional charges are not possible if you take something from the aisle, and your reservation already clarifies the drop fee or mileage for the one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.