Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Experiences at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:10 pm

An update for Salt Lake City.

I was nervous about renting from this location, given the above reports.

However, my experience was not bad at all.

As an Exec, I wish they had an Emerald Isle, but this location still has booth service. Booked intermediate ICAR.

There was no line at the booth in the garage. I walked up, was offered my choice of two full sized (FCAR) cars (Impala with mileage in teens or Malibu with under 4k). Chose the Malibu LTZ. Nice car, clean, if a little squishy in ride.

Paperwork was short and sweet. Drove the car, quick return. Bill was correct.

Maybe this location isn't so bad after all.

jb
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jbarm
An update for Salt Lake City.

I was nervous about renting from this location, given the above reports.

However, my experience was not bad at all.

As an Exec, I wish they had an Emerald Isle, but this location still has booth service. Booked intermediate ICAR.

There was no line at the booth in the garage. I walked up, was offered my choice of two full sized (FCAR) cars (Impala with mileage in teens or Malibu with under 4k). Chose the Malibu LTZ. Nice car, clean, if a little squishy in ride.

Paperwork was short and sweet. Drove the car, quick return. Bill was correct.

Maybe this location isn't so bad after all.

jb
I can count on one hand the times I have received a LTZ in SLC. Happy to hear you had a good experience, just wish it happened more often to many of us.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm a big critic of SLC operations, but last week's experience was a improvement over previous experiences.

National has a new pod within the car rental area that is about twice the size as the closed pod just 20 ft away. Staff was friendly, offered a few different options, and in short order I was on my way.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I have an SUV reserved with National @ SLC the week before Christmas. After reading other threads, I searched and can get one the Enterprise for $6 more. Any more recent experience with this location. I'm headed to Park City for the week and really would like the SUV. I do arrive on a flight late in the afternoon if that makes any difference. Thoughts?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I have an SUV reserved with National @ SLC the week before Christmas. After reading other threads, I searched and can get one the Enterprise for $6 more. Any more recent experience with this location. I'm headed to Park City for the week and really would like the SUV. I do arrive on a flight late in the afternoon if that makes any difference. Thoughts?
I've booked an SUV twice and been given a Chevy Equinox 4x4, which was fine for going skiing. I typically get a cheap hotel in SLC and drive to a different resort every day. We probably arrived in the afternoon or evening both times.

Once we rented a mid or full size on a rate that included free ski roof racks. They didn't have any, so we put the skis in the car and drove off without them.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is the only location where I've ever had a bad National experience. Service was downright rude. Poor vehicle selection, too.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
This location is a franchise. Annoying as heck. I would not expect any SUVs available on the aisle. Aisle selection is also very small.

Have been traveling here for the past 6 months and SLC in general has a small fleet. Avis reps have said that during winter time, SLC SUVs all get rented out. You will not get upgraded to an SUV, despite their SUV heavy fleet.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
This location is a franchise. Annoying as heck. I would not expect any SUVs available on the aisle. Aisle selection is also very small.

Have been traveling here for the past 6 months and SLC in general has a small fleet. Avis reps have said that during winter time, SLC SUVs all get rented out. You will not get upgraded to an SUV, despite their SUV heavy fleet.
I am not looking to get upgraded to an SUV, I have one reserved. I am looking to find out whether I will have a problem getting what I reserved.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:23 am

You may not get National credits from Enterprise in markets where franchise National competes with Enterprise corporate.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:12 pm

I had a reservation for a Std SUV at this location this week. Arrived and they didn't have any available so the agent bumped me up to a full size SUV(Traverse). I had to wait in a line of about 7-8 people with two agents working the booth. With the contract I was given a small paper indicating no previous damage to the vehicle and based on previous posts I looked at the car closer than I normally would. I found a pretty deep scrape on the drivers door about the size of a quarter and went back to the booth and the agent made note of it. Later I even noticed a pretty good scrape on the door handle that looked related. When I returned the vehicle the rep had me pull it into a lane and would probably have had a hard time seeing it anyway. I was glad I looked closer and didn't have to spend the week wondering what would happen when I returned it. The original agent was friendly but it seemed like the checkout process was a bit long for all customers as I don't think there is any aisle here from what I could see. Best news of the rental is that some of the cheapest gas I saw all week was a mile or so from the airport. Nothing like that gas station near MCO that charges $5+/gal.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:33 am

I had a similar experience in August with them familiar to have noted significant damage on the vehicle I rented. Made them come note it prior to taking the car off the lot
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Thumbs down

This is the worst National location I've been to! I've only had 2 bad experiences with National and they were both at this location. Most of the problems stem from the fact that they are a franchise and do not have an emerald aisle. The vehicle availability is horrible, some of the employees are rude and it is always a slow process to get anything done here. I have rented from here a month ago and back in Feb. I hope National gets there act together at this location! This location is any embarrassment to National and the standards I have come to expect from there other locations.

The most recent time was particular bad. My company rented 2 different vehicles and both of them had problems. One had a a low tire and needed to be re-filled. The second one got a flat and we had to put in the spare tire. When we called to ask for a replacement car they refused have it sent out to use and said we would have to drive it back to SLC . So I had to drive all the way back and it was a difficult to exchange it. I went inside to the National desk and had to fill out paper work for the damage. Then they claimed that they did not have any SUV available (as usual) for the replacement. After a heated discussion with the manager of why I deserve the SUV because of all the trouble I'd been through, the company contract, my Executive status and the fact that I saw them in the aisles. She finally agreed to give me a Chevy Traverse. That was pretty disappointing compared to what I normally get but at that point I didn't see any point arguing it since I knew it was a lost cause.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Are any of the other rental car company at SLC any better? Or are they all owned by Chevy and are just as bad? I will be traveling here again soon.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:18 am

No, only National in SLC is a franchise run by a Chevrolet dealer. Most competitors there are corporate owned.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Are any of the other rental car company at SLC any better? Or are they all owned by Chevy and are just as bad? I will be traveling here again soon.
I used to rent every week here with Avis. No real problems with Avis except for lack of upgrades and lack of sedans.

Depends what car you are looking for I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.