Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Experiences at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by kbean
What's the latest on National at SLC? I need a 4WD SUV for my trip Jan 29-Feb 2. Rates seem sky high right now so I got the cheapest I could at the moment but will keep an eye out to cancel for something less with a major company. Right now National is the lowest major company. Last time I rented through Hertz which happened to be the cheapest, and needed a 4WD "Mid Size" SUV and had no issues. They had 6 or so to choose from, no change in price.

What's the luck with National for this? Dead of winter so may actually be easier, but the last thing I need them to say is "All we have is full size 4WD, so that will be a $1000 more."

Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.
I once rented a fullsize sedan from Hertz in SLC back in 2013 and a big snowstorm blew in, and the upgrade to SUV (Nissan Rogue) was "only" $45 per day. Since I was friends with the agent, he was able to switch it for a Cadillac SRX4.

-J.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:25 pm

I've secured an Intermediate / Mid Size SUV already. I guess I am hoping to make sure it is 4WD. In the winter I would imagine most of them would be rather than summer months, but what do I know?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've secured an Intermediate / Mid Size SUV already. I guess I am hoping to make sure it is 4WD. In the winter I would imagine most of them would be rather than summer months, but what do I know?
I only rented from National a few times at SLC, and the one time I got an SUV it was a Rogue Sport AWD. I felt better knowing it had AWD since I drove up to Park City and in the mountains a bit, but by no means did I actually need the AWD. The vast majority of the roads are plowed and salted.

-J.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I only rented from National a few times at SLC, and the one time I got an SUV it was a Rogue Sport AWD. I felt better knowing it had AWD since I drove up to Park City and in the mountains a bit, but by no means did I actually need the AWD. The vast majority of the roads are plowed and salted.

-J.
We'll be traveling beyond Park City and into Wyoming. I won't do this trip without one. I felt so much better a couple months ago when I had a 4WD SUV rented from Hertz - and yes, it snowed.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
We'll be traveling beyond Park City and into Wyoming. I won't do this trip without one. I felt so much better a couple months ago when I had a 4WD SUV rented from Hertz - and yes, it snowed.
SLC pretty much only buys AWD. It's much more difficult to find a non-AWD SUV in the fleet at SLC.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:44 pm

What's the latest on National at SLC? I need a 4WD SUV for my trip Jan 29-Feb 2. Rates seem sky high right now so I got the cheapest I could at the moment but will keep an eye out to cancel for something less with a major company. Right now National is the lowest major company. Last time I rented through Hertz which happened to be the cheapest, and needed a 4WD "Mid Size" SUV and had no issues. They had 6 or so to choose from, no change in price.

What's the luck with National for this? Dead of winter so may actually be easier, but the last thing I need them to say is "All we have is full size 4WD, so that will be a $1000 more."

Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing rates are high due to the influx of snow-sport vacationers into SLC and the surrounding area.

I know my wife and a friend are planning a ski trip there over MLK weekend and the pickup/larger SUV with 4WD (not the AWD crossovers like Rogues/etc.) are definitely high. Not too surprising. Interestingly I didn't see an EA selection category on the National website as I usually do..its all specific car classes.

LCAR at $106, Minivan at $164, Full size SUV at $252 and goes up from there
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:57 pm

Anyone have any experiences with SUVs in SLC National lately? Prices have only risen but I am on alert in case I find a drop. It's been snowing like crazy in Jackson the last few weeks so an AWD SUV is a must.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Anyone have any experiences with SUVs in SLC National lately? Prices have only risen but I am on alert in case I find a drop. It's been snowing like crazy in Jackson the last few weeks so an AWD SUV is a must.
Unless you plan on going up into the mountains, you really can get away with a FWD vehicle in SLC. They are really good at keeping the roads clean and clear. I can understand having the extra peace of mind, but I've even gone up into the mountains to go skiing in a Prius and had no issues.

-J.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Unless you plan on going up into the mountains, you really can get away with a FWD vehicle in SLC. They are really good at keeping the roads clean and clear. I can understand having the extra peace of mind, but I've even gone up into the mountains to go skiing in a Prius and had no issues.

-J.
I am sure, but we are driving to Jackson Hole from Salt Lake and this time of year an AWD SUV is imperative.
I rented one at the end of September to be cautious. I was glad I had it, and yes, it snowed.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Arrived on Saturday around 1pm. I had a midsize reservation and rather than letting me pick a car off an aisle, the agent in the Emerald Club booth let me look at a selection of vehicles on her screen -- which were essentially "V1" and "V2" -- primarily full size sedans, Dodge Journey x2 and Chevy Equanox x2. I asked about "slightly larger SUVs like Jeep Cherokee or Ford Explorer" -- both of which I could see sitting there in stalls but the agent was limited by what the computer offered. I took a VW Tiguan which ended up being more than adequate for a 2 day visit to ski at Snowbird.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by noah
Arrived on Saturday around 1pm. I had a midsize reservation and rather than letting me pick a car off an aisle, the agent in the Emerald Club booth let me look at a selection of vehicles on her screen -- which were essentially "V1" and "V2" -- primarily full size sedans, Dodge Journey x2 and Chevy Equanox x2. I asked about "slightly larger SUVs like Jeep Cherokee or Ford Explorer" -- both of which I could see sitting there in stalls but the agent was limited by what the computer offered. I took a VW Tiguan which ended up being more than adequate for a 2 day visit to ski at Snowbird.
There is no aisle in SLC until the new rental facility opens; thus what you booked is all they are required to offer. I'd say you made out good with only having a midsize reservation for a skiing destination in winter. Also of note, both the Equinox/Journey are comparable size to a Jeep Cherokee, with the Journey being larger.
noah likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:36 pm

Still no Aisle at this site. Was told it should be ready Fall 2020.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Finally with the new airport there is an executive and Emerald Isle at SLC. Selection was small but still good options. Two infiniti QX80’s, one Q50, and a Jeep grand Cherokee Ltd, and also a Toyota Highlander Ltd.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This location has changed from probably the worst in the entire system to the best I've rented from during COVID.

Arrived Saturday afternoon with slow falling lightly. Really wanted an SUV for use in Park City and there were three or four brand new Hyundai Konas in the Executive Aisle. Not a luxury SUV, but perfectly adequate if a bit underpowered. A wide selection of other cars, including a new-looking Passat and several nice looking Camrys. Very happy at $41/day.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:59 am

Any other recent Emerald Aisle experiences at SLC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.