Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Experiences at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Natl EC, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
We're still in the Yellowstone area for another week. On arrival at SLC, the EA/EC area was pretty well stocked that Monday night. Wide range of sedans (Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, VW, Genesis), only a handful of SUVs (Kia, Hyundai, Ford, Jeep), 1 minivan (Chrysler Pacifica), no trucks. I took a 2022 Ford Explorer XLT with a hair over 16,000. It has done well for us from SLC all the way to Red Lodge, MT, and back down to Yellowstone. The ECO drive option allowed us so far to average 25.1 mpg. Plenty of room with the third row seats folded down for two weeks worth of luggage for me, the wife, and our seven year old.

Our flight to SLC was delayed over 4 hours. By the time we made it to the EA/EC, the National app must have timed out my ability to complete the rental solely in the app. No problems at all with National staff, they were great. At the exit booth, the agent verified the rental with my DL and CC, and we were on our way in under a minute.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:21 pm

Luxury Selection Vs Emerald

Originally Posted by duxfan
Picked up at SLC on Saturday 7/8. I was using free days, so I booked a luxury rather than just go to the ES. Couldn't get an SUV because they had mileage limits of 1000/week. We were doing Yellowstone, so I needed more. A quick glance at the ES showed no minivans or SUVs. I did see a Jeep Gladiator, but otherwise it was the standard assortment of Camrys/Altimas/Malibus. Nothing special. The luxury SUVs were parked next to the luxury cars, all Nissan Armadas. I'm glad I didn't pony up the $300 for the one day that wasn't covered by my free days. Even the Luxury selection was weak. A total of 3 cars. An Audi A4, a Genesis G70, and a BMW M235. We took the BMW at my the urging of my teenage son, I'd rather have tried the Genesis. By the time we were 15 minutes away from the airport, I knew we chose poorly. 38000 miles, I found evidence in the glove box that the car had been in an accident. Texas registration sticker still in the window, Idaho plates. So I guess it was bought used.

To top it off, the front tires had been replaced with some cheap no-name brand. The original Pirellis were still on the rear. The tires contributed heavily to the thrumming road noise. It was bad enough that I burned 6 free days on the car, but if I had paid for the full week, I'd have been pi$$ed. I told the rep on return that the car needed retired. She did offer to take 50% the one day I had to pay for, but still that car never should've been rented out.
Wow, I am booking my ski trip for next winter and the Luxury reservation is $140 lower for the week than Emerald, they are even cheaper than a compact res. I usually book emerald and have never had a problem getting an SUV, which I am sure they fleet up for, plus locals are not renting cars for trips like they do in the summer. I was going to jump on the Luxury but you have me rethinking this. Also Nationals website says a luxury should seat 5 people with 5 bags. No way any of your choices would fit that. Maybe the Genesis, which I agree you should have taken.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:35 pm

Coworker reserved a truck via Enterprise on January 16th. Our flight was delayed so late we arrived after closing time. The agent told us they stick around until 1:30 AM.

He was given a "premium truck" which wound up being a Ram 1500 4x4. Super basic, doesn't even have Carplay or Android Auto. Apologies I didn't get a look at the aisle, it was super late.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:42 am

Any updates on the 24 winter aisle choices?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm heading here tomorrow, will be interesting to see what they have to offer.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

So arrived this evening, man the walk from the plane to the cars was the longest I ever walked!

ES was a 4-Runner (someone beat me to it) but I took a 2024 Mazda CX-50, lots of Pacificias, some cars, EA had lots of Mid-size to full SUV's, Chargers,
Old Feb 14, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update. Yes that airport has one of the longest walks ever, if you come into Terminal B. It is a solid mile from the Southwest Gates to the rental cars. For older people and families with young kids it is torture.
I read in the next year a new tunnel will open slightly decreasing the walk. Trains are in the works for when they open Terminal C in 10+ years. Only walk I have had that is comparable is O'hare from the end of the B gates to the commuter gates. That one measures in at a mile as well.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edge
Thanks for the update. Yes that airport has one of the longest walks ever, if you come into Terminal B. It is a solid mile from the Southwest Gates to the rental cars. For older people and families with young kids it is torture.
I read in the next year a new tunnel will open slightly decreasing the walk. Trains are in the works for when they open Terminal C in 10+ years. Only walk I have had that is comparable is O'hare from the end of the B gates to the commuter gates. That one measures in at a mile as well.
Bingo flew up in NW...
Old Feb 17, 2024, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

OK drop off update, dropped off Friday at about 4pm,

ES, full of Compact and subcompact SUVs I saw about 5 Mazda CX-30 there were a few cars and 5-6 Pacificas
EA full of Mid to full-size SUV, 5-6 Ford F-150s
Lux area had 3-4 Jeep Wranglers, Range Rover, and BMW X7
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 9:53 am

Picked up 5:00 PM on a Saturday March 2, I expected them to be low on cars, however they had plenty of selection. Upgrade cars were SUV's, the Audi Q7, Maserati, and the humungo Jeep Wagoneer. Executive had Audi A4's two Q5's ( too small for me this trip) Ford Edges, GMC Arcadia, a Dodge Ram Quad Cab, Jeep truck, some vans, and non all wheel drive Hyundai Palisades. Regular Emerald had Rav 4's and Ford Edges and assorted sedans. I took a Ford Edge which was tight for all the luggage and skis for three people. On return I saw lots of Jeep Grand Cherokee's and some Explorers. I should have inquired with the lot manager to see if one of those was available.
Returned the following Saturday around noon and the return lot was packed.

On the long walk to and from the B gates, one guy used a skateboard! At least they now have moving sidewalks.

Last edited by edge; Mar 10, 2024 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

On the long walk to and from the B gates, one guy used a skateboard! At least they now have moving sidewalks.
Its the longest walk from the gate to Car Rental and return that I have ever encountered.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Its the longest walk from the gate to Car Rental and return that I have ever encountered.
Hate to let facts get in the way of a good hyperbole, but it's 2/3 of a mile from the far end of B to the rental garage. That's more than 100 yeards *less* than the length of the A concourse at DTW. A couple hundred yards more than the length of ATL's B Concourse

I really don't get the incessant whining about the new SLC terminal. For reference, the distance from the end of the old B concourse to the end of the old D concourse (a connection I made hundreds of times) is only 150 yards shorter than the current B to Rental Car Garage. And that trip not only (also) had no train, it had fewer moving sidewalks.

Edit - I forgot that the main tunnel is opening soon (is it already open?). That adds roughly 50 feet to the walk:

Last edited by Qwkynuf; Mar 10, 2024 at 5:03 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:12 pm

LOL NO, the tunnel in your graph shown is not open yet, it will be hopefully this year. Next thing you mention is Detroit which has a great train in the terminal, and so will SLC in another decade ( from what I read). I worked in Atlanta ( and about 25 other airports) and yes you can walk the gates and skip the train, which I did when I wanted a long walk, from check in to the F terminal is two miles in Atlanta. However my personal SLC experience pretty much sucks from the B gates. Last week it took over an hour to get my bags, that was after the walk to baggage, when they showed up they were all wet, I want to say an hour and 1/2 from when I left the gate, I guess it was break time, and trust me I have seen that one in action before.

On the plus side the rental area is great, check in is easy, and so is security. In the long run it will be a great airport. However for older people and people with little kids, I think it is a challenge from the B gates for now. My home airport is BNA these days, traffic can be horrific, and my neighbor is an airport consultant who designed the traffic flow, I need to ask him if the firm he works for designed SLC. That would explain a few things.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

LOL NO, the tunnel in your graph shown is not open yet, it will be hopefully this year. Next thing you mention is Detroit which has a great train in the terminal, and so will SLC in another decade ( from what I read). I worked in Atlanta ( and about 25 other airports) and yes you can walk the gates and skip the train, which I did when I wanted a long walk, from check in to the F terminal is two miles in Atlanta. However my personal SLC experience pretty much sucks from the B gates. Last week it took over an hour to get my bags, that was after the walk to baggage, when they showed up they were all wet, I want to say an hour and 1/2 from when I left the gate, I guess it was break time, and trust me I have seen that one in action before.

On the plus side the rental area is great, check in is easy, and so is security. In the long run it will be a great airport. However for older people and people with little kids, I think it is a challenge from the B gates for now. My home airport is BNA these days, traffic can be horrific, and my neighbor is an airport consultant who designed the traffic flow, I need to ask him if the firm he works for designed SLC. That would explain a few things.
I had when fact-checkers miss the correct facts. Trains are wonderful things.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:41 am

I haven't had a connection in SLC since the end of January & couldn't remember when the new tunnel was projected to open. Regardless, it makes only a small difference to the total distance.

Point remains though - the distances at the new terminal are comparable to the distances at the old terminal, and comparable to other large US airports. I sometimes think that some people just *need* to complain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.