Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Status Match Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
This is good news!

I'm with TG and my status has been earned entirely through UA, so I'm going to try and persuade them to give me some sort of status. Is there an email address I can contact them on, or is it all through fax and post?
I sent them a fax with a printout of this year's flown miles on US. Also had a pending EWR-SHA-NRT-EWR booked on UA. They also had my US FF# which would let them know I was already *A Gold.

Fax # 605-343-4104. Good luck.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA, DL, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott
Originally Posted by schrade
Does anyone have the fax number for this.

UA has pushed me over the edge, and I am going to use some smaller airports and fight DTW and MSP next year instead.

Plus I am getting sick of the restaurants in ORD
From the Status Match Master Thread -- The fax number is 218-254-7567

It still works - Mrs. TB matched earlier this month
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Try doing a search on the Lufthansa forum and you'll be quick to find that the answer to your question is basically , "NO".

LH does not status match. But being in the UK, BD Diamond Club will.
Correct BD will match status and is a great program by the way !

But wasnt there an exception at LH for countries like UK, turkey & china ?

I´m not sure so just write a letter and go for it. Report results !

Happy NY,

:-:
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Gold
I'm also a long time lurker and could not find any quick answers to these two questions.

1. I have Southwest Companion Card (100+segments), which airlines match that status, and at what level?

2. I have a freind that recently retired to Florida from Germany, she is a Lufthansa Senator, which US airlines will match her Lufthansa status and at what level.

Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdudley
Hi everyone! Following the advice of other forum members, I was easily & quickly able to get Delta to comp me Gold Medallion status (based on my UA 1P status). I FAXed my request to the general Delta SkyMiles service center (404-773-1945) on Tuesday, and they had updated my status by Friday!

I just made 1P on UA within the last month, so I didn't have a 1P card or printed statement to send in... but no matter. I included just my request and a printout of my YTD flights from united.com, and Delta seems to have been fine with just that.

Happy flying!
That's good to hear! I've been meaning to call DL and look into getting Skymiles status as well.

I've been AF Platinum (Rouge before) for a while now, and every year, turns out over 95% of my flights are on Delta! Hopefully they will see this as reason enough to "comp" me with PM!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by misbeehavin
That's good to hear! I've been meaning to call DL and look into getting Skymiles status as well.

I've been AF Platinum (Rouge before) for a while now, and every year, turns out over 95% of my flights are on Delta! Hopefully they will see this as reason enough to "comp" me with PM!
Delta dosen't comp beyond GM status
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:38 am

Smile

Originally Posted by 501261
I'm also a long time lurker and could not find any quick answers to these two questions.

1. I have Southwest Companion Card (100+segments), which airlines match that status, and at what level?

2. I have a freind that recently retired to Florida from Germany, she is a Lufthansa Senator, which US airlines will match her Lufthansa status and at what level.

Thanks.
I got Comped with LH Senator to CO Gold, 2 flights from vie-mnl via ams got me with the 100%elite bonus 57000 miles . Enough for a free ticket europe-north america.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:22 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by gleff
As we approve the end of a benefits year, airlines are beginning to reveal changes to their frequent flyer programs for 2004. They want more revenue at a lower cost. Their static models probably predict that their changes will accomplish this. Some may, some may not.

But I believe it's important for us to remember that while they're doing their job, we don't have to be sympathetic. After all, we're customers. And we have every right to seek out the product that best fits our needs. If an airline program offers a better deal for our flying and buying patterns, by all means we should take advantage of that offer!

And many airlines make it easier for us to do so -- by matching our current status with elite privileges in their program.

One of the most frequently asked questions on Flyertalk, throughout the various forums, is "Will airline X match my titanium status in the Infinite Airways program?" or something to that effect. And since fellow flyers are beginning to think about their plans for 2004, I thought I'd take a stab at summarizing the "who will match what? and how do I do it?" conventional wisdom.

Of course, this is general advice. It doesn't work in every case. And my knowledge may be superceded by better and more recent information. But this is what I've collected over time. If you would like to correct me, please do so. It will only make for a better information summary. And thread links are welcome!

So here goes ---

Continental

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Platinum (top tier)

They seem concerned about fraud, so require a bunch of information:
  • A copy of your current elite status card.
  • A copy of your latest elite statement.
  • A copy of your current One Pass Membership Card.
  • A copy of your current One Pass statement.

Along with a note explaining you'd like to shift your busy to them if they'll match your current status.

Update 1/21/06: Per post # 429 in this thread:

OA Match Request
P.O. Box 4757
Houston, TX 77210-4757

Fax: 832-235-2713.

United

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Premier Executive (mid-tier)

Send a copy of your current elite statement or elite card along with a note explaining you'd like to shift your busy to them if they'll match your current status to:

(Updated fax # 5/19/06)
(Updated fax # 10/20/06)

America West

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Platinum (top tier)

Send a copy of your current elite statement or elite card along with a note explaining you'd like to shift your busy to them if they'll match your current status to:

America West also offers a challenge program, awarding status based on substantial flying over a 90 day period. They may even offer Silver elite status just for the asking. See this thread on America West status challenges.

Delta

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (mid-tier)

[Edit] There are recent reports of Delta offering "challenges" in response to status match requests -- that is, fly x segments in y days for status.

American

American will consistently match United status to equivalent level up to mid-tier (Platinum). They are quirkier about matching status from other carriers. Sometimes they'll offer Gold status. Sometimes they'll just ask you to complete a challenge (miles flown in 90 days). Sometimes they'll offer Gold status and a challenge for Platinum.

For the best consolidated discussion of challenges, see this summary by FewMiles.

Alaska

Will match status, generally to equivalent level -- with midtier on most carriers being equivalent to Alaska's MVP Gold (top tier)

Fax a copy of your current elite statement or membership card to:

Northwest

Northwest will match status, but they're quirky.

Sometimes they'll match to equivalent level up to Gold (midtier). Other times they reject status match requests outright. I'm not an expert as to why.

Send:
Your WorldPerks account number
Copies of your most recent (2) elite mileage statements

They will not accept:
Travel agency reports
Letters of elite status
Membership cards indicating elite status with another airline
Travel itineraries.

Mail information to:

USAirways

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Chairman's Preferred (top tier)

Mexicana

Will match status, generally to equivalent level up to Gold (top tier)

You can make your request by emailing <[email protected]> and saying that you'd like to move your business to Mexicana if they'll match your status.

You will be requested to provide proof of your current elite status by forwarding a copy of your current airline elite card or elite statement. A scan attached to an email reply will suffice.

If you don't hear back in a few days, email again. Mexicana is just like that. But Enrique is a nice guy. [Edited to say that per kempis, Enrique is no longer at MX. )

Airtran -- Updated 11/27/03

From December 1 to December 31, 2003 Airtran is offering a formal elite status match program.

Just print their elite status match form, provide your Airtran account information and your competitor elite status information, include a frequent flyer statement (July 1 2003 or more recent) and fax it all to 1-912-966-6378, attention: Elite Matching Program. You should receive an elite card in 3-4 weeks.

Frontier -- Updated 11/27/03

Send your name, EarlyReturns number, and most recent airline elite statement to [email protected] or fax to (720) 374-4375 (attn: Quick Ascent).

Accounts with matched status also earn 5000 bonus miles for each flight (up to 15,000 bonus miles) for flights taken by January 31, 2004.

Update 1/21/06: Reply #13 in this thread reports that the 'QuickAscent' program was discontinued 12/31/05.

British Midland

I have no personal experience with this, but my sense is that British Midland will happily comp British Airways Gold members but little else. See this discussion.

Airlines that will not generally match status:
  • Air Canada
  • Lufthansa
  • British Airways - with some exceptions for very significant revenue (per ScottC)
  • Air France (per dctorres)

There are exceptions to every rule, as I'm reminded by this thread which reports that Lufthansa is easy to get a comp from if you're in Turkey or China.

Bear in mind that status matches are generally one-time only affairs -- so only request the match if you plan to use the status and requalify. Otherwise it's a future opportunity wasted.

[Edit] Per suggestions below, let me also note that getting comped from one airline in an alliance to another airline in an alliance is usually much harder. Airlines often have "no poaching" rules, so that United is usually unwilling to match Lufthansa status, and Continental and Northwest are generally unwilling to match each others' status. There are documented exceptions, of course, and the closeness of the alliance is often a factor here. But showing elite status outside of an alliance often produces better results.

It would be great if folks would help keep this up to date. Then, when posters ask about comping procedures, we could just link a single thread...

Best regards,
Gary

------------------
View from the Wing: A blog about Free Miles and Free Markets

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited Nov 27, 2003).]
the FAX number for AIRTRAN is no longer available, dont have the new number
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PE, UA S, Ritz Plat.
Non-US airlines matching UA 1P to get lounge access?

Anyone know of any non-US airlines who will status match UA 1P?
Reason is I want to get lounge access on domestic but UA/AA won't to do it, wheras non-US *G or OWG will. Used to have SAS gold then changed to UA program before I realized it meant losing the lounge.
Prefer star but will move to oneworld if the program is right.
And if so, what do you sacrifice by doing it (100% MP bonus, upgrades, expensive reward tickets, poor availability etc etc).
Interested in any status match comments from UA to SQ, CX, ANA, JAL, QF, NZ, SAS, BMI, Asiana, TG, especially.
Anyone got any experiences with gold status on LOT, TAP, Spanair, SAA - these worth a look?

Tx
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL, US
US to DL comp

Just wanted to add another data point. I was comped DL Gold from US Plat. by faxing a letter. It took about 2 weeks.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:53 am
Suspended

As

I faxed AS a request for a status match from CO Gold to AS MVP Gold. Haven't heard from them in a week. What is the normal turn-around time? How are you notified of their decision? Via mail? E-Mail? A Call?

Michael
Old Jan 11, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by BriGuy
Actually, this number died earlier this week, according to the MP service center.

The new new valid fax number is 605-341-6140.

It works; I just faxed my 10 pages of supporting documents without a hitch.
I tried this number last week and kept getting a communication error. Called the Mileage Plus number today and was told to fax documents to 605-343-4104 to the attention of: Elite Status Match.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by puddy
I tried this number last week and kept getting a communication error. Called the Mileage Plus number today and was told to fax documents to 605-343-4104 to the attention of: Elite Status Match.
605-343-4101 is the number I used 6 weeks ago - it worked and I got my match 7 days after faxed in my request.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:21 pm

Location: Orlando, FL, CO Gold,AA Gold (This Year), KLM Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
WOW that was fast

I faxed in match request to CO this morning from AA and literally 15 minutes later my status had changed on the web site. Thanks for this post - really helped me
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:21 pm

Do you mean last digit of 4? With 1 it does not work today.

Originally Posted by njfan07
605-343-4101 is the number I used 6 weeks ago - it worked and I got my match 7 days after faxed in my request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.