Hotel Status Match Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Status Match Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I would like to get a match for SPG P, just found out that they down-graded me from Gold back to Corporate

For some reason I never received the actual plastic card for Hyatt Diamond, would the online print out that showing the status work?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gleff
Starwood is the most interesting case. Their status always lasts at least 12 months, and status expires Feb 28. So if you get comped to Platinum after March 1, it can't expire Feb 28 of the following year -- 'cause status would have lasted less than 12 months -- so it lasts until Feb 28 of the NEXT year. Example: if you took a comp today (March 30, 2007 in the U.S.) then your status would expire February 28 2009.
I might have incorrectly understood this post, but I just got a different response from SPG:

On April 17, I sent a fax to the (512) # per the Starwood Lurker post, requesting SPG Plat based on HHonors Diamond. Got an email back today,

[yadda, yadda, welcome]... we have upgraded you to the Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Preferred Level. This is a one time only exception. In order to retain your Platinum Level membership, you will need to have a minimum of twenty five stays or fifty room nights. This number is based upon a calendar year basis, January 1 through December 31.
Is that pretty standard? Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased for the match and I don't imagine that I'll have a problem retaining the status come Jan 1. But it doesn't seem like SPG comp status always lasts at least 12 months.

Last edited by papergirl; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:16 am Reason: added link to older post
Old Apr 22, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond
It looks like they made it pretty clear, it's calender based. Although I don't think the status expire right away after 12/31. My status didn't get down graded until mid april.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Nothing to worry about, actually, that's the standard response 'a comp is one time, you have to requalify now, here's how you do it.'

Just email SPG and ask what the expiration of your Platinum status is.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:59 pm

Smile Platinum Comp Time Period

I apologize if this has been asked before!

I want to use my Starwood Platinum status to get a match at some of the other chains, but I'm wondering if there is a timing element to it.

For example, once I am comped, is it for a full year regardless of when my Starwood Plat expires? Or can I only get comped for a year from when I first turned Plat at Starwood? I'm just wondering if I can stretch out my comps over as long as possible.

Any help would be much appreciate. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
[QUOTE=appreciative;7634579]For example, once I am comped, is it for a full year regardless of when my Starwood Plat expires? Or can I only get comped for a year from when I first turned Plat at Starwood? I'm just wondering if I can stretch out my comps over as long as possible.
QUOTE]

I am pretty sure that if you did it now, they would match you through the end of the year, but in the past when I have asked for matches, I made sure it was at the end of or begining of the year to maximize on the time I had. Good luck!
Old May 1, 2007, 12:02 pm

Starwood will only upgrade you to a certain level only once. BUT: will they upgrade you to a different level next time?
Old May 1, 2007, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Not sure I understand, there's only one Starwood level worth bothering to have (Platinum). But Gold is an easy get via a number of channels, and does get you 4pm checkout..
Old May 10, 2007, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updated a Radisson link.
Old May 11, 2007, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by best
Starwood will only upgrade you to a certain level only once. BUT: will they upgrade you to a different level next time?
Starwood's stated policy is a once in a lifetime status match to Platinum. They do not offer any status match to Gold, but as Gleff mentioned Gold is not difficult to obtain. For example, spend $30,000 in a calendar year on SPG American Express or obtain an American Express Platinum charge card.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Diamond Medallion, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select Executive
Hotel Status Match for SPG Platinum???

There's a million messages here but I'm having a hard time deciphering which hotels which match SPG Platinum and how good is the status they match you to.

I'm upset to report that my platinum experience has been beyond poor and I see no reason to not to give other hotel brands a chance to change my loyalty.

I honestly I only have stayed in Starwood hotels for years so this is Virgin Territory, I don't know how good Marriott vs. Hyatt vs. Hilton vs. Intercontinental is and whether elite status is better at those places than Starwood. Any assistance is appreciated.

FYI, I have 60+ stays so far this calendar year and another 40-50+ to go the remainder of the year.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Without knowing where you travel, what you value in a hotel and a loyalty program, and what your complaints about Starwood are, it's likely difficult to recommend another chain.

What each program will do based on your SPG Platinum status is summarized in the first post in this thread. Hyatt will give you their top tier. Marriott and Hilton may offer you a fast track to status. Priority Club will offer their relatively meaningless top tier (Platinum, as distinguished from the Intercontinental Ambassador/Royal Ambassador levels)...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: Sixt,M&M,MC
Does anybody know if Starwood/Hilton/Hyatt/Mariott will match Kempinski Private Concierge ?

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Very true. And there are some discounted offers with good mileage signup bonuses. Alas no more $10 trial that included SPG status and 2 RCC passes that I'm aware of.
Had to comment on that incentive for Ameniti program. In addition to the 2 RCC passes (which I never used, since I was never in an airport with one for long enough to use them), you also got either beer or wine shipped to you for free (never got that one either because of my state's law against shipping alcoholic beverages. If you signed up through ebates you got back (not sure, but) around $30 for joining. I did get that. I did get the Starwood Gold upgrade, too. Nice incentives for an otherwise worthless (to me) program.
Since I have both Starwood and Hilton Gold status, I think that I'll try for the Hyatt upgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:05 pm

It's interesting that Hyatt will give the top tier level for HH Gold or by demonstrating 10 stays in last 12 months - this shouldn't be a problem for me.

Now, I am just curious (yes, one could say I am being greedy and should have myself stay at hotels to earn status) - will SPG grant me their plat status for comped Hyatt Diamond status, which won't have any stay records? This is ultimately to say that I am seeking for SPG plat status and not really interested in Hyatt Diamond (unless it is a means to get SPG plat status).

Curious Brahms77

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.