Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best card for foreign exchange?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
But difficult to join, if not affiliated with Govt/Military, correct?
Not at all: options 8 and 9 are open to all who are willing to join an association for a year. http://PenFed.org/JoinUs

(Navy Federal has restrictive membership, but not Pentagon Federal.)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Not at all: options 8 and 9 are open to all who are willing to join an association for a year. http://PenFed.org/JoinUs

Not that it matters as Navy Fed never offers a competitive rewards product.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting forex rates from BofA earlier this month:

AUS $100 withdrawn at WestPac (Global ATM network) converts to $101.32, better ^ than Oanda quote of $102.82 for posting date (rate was similar for days before/after).

AUS $40 withdrawn at Westpac converted to UA $40.12, again better ^ than Oanda quote of $40.50.

However July withdrawal of UK 50 at Barclays (Global ATM network) converted to US $80.59, approx. 1% worse than Oanda.

Can't really complain as the spread between buy/sell at Sydney Airport was 8% And no ATM fees at Global ATM network.

Addendum: Citibank still charging 3% forex at its own ATMs

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 5, 2012 at 12:17 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I was in Canada over New Years and used both my SPG Amex and my British Airways Visa. I paid $168.00 CAD at the Westin with my SPG Amex. My converted cost was $165.19 + $4.46 foreign transaction fee for a total of $169.65 USD. If I used the exchange rate I was charged for the same date on my no fee BA Visa, the same charge would have cost me $165.28 USD. The difference would have been $4.37 or roughly the amount of the foreign transaction fee.

This little comparison would suggest that the no fee BA Visa isn't making up the difference by charging a less favorable exchange rate.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Jeeves
This little comparison would suggest that the no fee BA Visa isn't making up the difference by charging a less favorable exchange rate.
Right, because padding the rate would be illegal.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by soitgoes

Actually #6 is your best option, but you have to call and let them know you have donated blood in the past.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:41 pm

Easy. CIBC Dividend Card hands down. Had the card for almost 20 years. Used it all over the world. Never paid a cent in forex fees. Plus 1% back on all purchases. Get it and love it!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Easy. CIBC Dividend Card hands down. Had the card for almost 20 years. Used it all over the world. Never paid a cent in forex fees. Plus 1% back on all purchases. Get it and love it!
Is that card available in the US? Also, it looks like there's a 2.5% forex fee on new accounts, so maybe yours is grandfathered?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:17 pm

Must be. Its a CAD card, but my sons both have gotten the card while living in the US.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Sagy
Make sure you stop next month. BofA changed the terms and will start charging 3% foreign transactions ( yes, even if you pay in USD outside the US) fee
Wait, what changed with Schwab?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
Wait, what changed with Schwab?
Old Schwab Invest First Visa accounts that are were converted to Bank Americards were grandfathered without any foreign transaction fee. The same Bank Americard product if opened as a new account directly with BOA would have the 3% FTF (as do the vast majority of BOA credit card products).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL PM
Originally Posted by Sagy
Make sure you stop next month. BofA changed the terms and will start charging 3% foreign transactions ( yes, even if you pay in USD outside the US) fee
Originally Posted by themicah
Old Schwab Invest First Visa accounts that are were converted to Bank Americards were grandfathered without any foreign transaction fee. The same Bank Americard product if opened as a new account directly with BOA would have the 3% FTF (as do the vast majority of BOA credit card products).
I have the BOA (formerly Schwab) card. To date, no FTF charged by BOA. Does anyone know of plans to begin charging FTF in the near future or is this benefit safe for the time being?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by davidy
I have the BOA (formerly Schwab) card. To date, no FTF charged by BOA. Does anyone know of plans to begin charging FTF in the near future or is this benefit safe for the time being?
I don't think anybody will know until they send us a letter saying it's changing. Could be tomorrow, could be next year, or it could never happen. But I believe that by law they're required to disclose it in advance of changing the terms at which point you can opt to cancel your account if you don't want to accept the new terms.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL PM
I don't think anybody will know until they send us a letter saying it's changing. Could be tomorrow, could be next year, or it could never happen. But I believe that by law they're required to disclose it in advance of changing the terms at which point you can opt to cancel your account if you don't want to accept the new terms.
Thank you
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I didn't realize this was true. Thanks for the heads up, although now that I have the Cap1 cash rewards card with 1.5% cash back, it'll only tag along as a backup, but good to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.