Wiki Posts
Search

Best card for foreign exchange?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by honu
Just a single data point: I used the Chase Sapphire UR Visa for a forex transaction today, and I received a rate that was roughly 1.30% higher than xe.com. This will result in an extra $2 expense for me, so I'm not going to worry too much about it, but in the future I'll either use Schwab, as long as terms haven't changed, or (gasp!) Cap1, as I never noticed such a high discrepancy with other no fee card before.
Is that different from the Sapphire Preferred?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by honu
Just a single data point: I used the Chase Sapphire UR Visa for a forex transaction today, and I received a rate that was roughly 1.30% higher than xe.com. This will result in an extra $2 expense for me, so I'm not going to worry too much about it, but in the future I'll either use Schwab, as long as terms haven't changed, or (gasp!) Cap1, as I never noticed such a high discrepancy with other no fee card before.
Make sure you stop next month. BofA changed the terms and will start charging 3% foreign transactions ( yes, even if you pay in USD outside the US) fee
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:19 am

Yes, it's the Chase Preferred UR Sapphire etc. etc. Visa. And I think what happened was that the forex rate used for my transaction was the highest (i.e., least advantageous to me) of the last 24 hrs, and it was a day when the currency fluctuated a lot. So there wasn't a 1% surcharge as I suspected, but I don't know if it was just bad luck or if the use of the highest forex rate in 24 hrs is part of a systematic approach by Chase. I guess I'll try to have some more transactions and see if I can discern a pattern.

In any case, I won't be using the Schwab card after October (thanks for the warning, we did get a letter), but my Cap1 cards are still in good working order and are an acceptable substitute if nothing else works as well.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:01 pm

The problem with xe.com and oanda.com is that they only give you a single exchange rate for a day.

Ideally you want to get a chart (from a service like Bloomberg, if you have access) of the full trading range for the day on which your POS transaction posts or the day on which your ATM transaction actually occurred.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Unless checks went out in the last 2 weeks, the class action suit has not resulted in any payments to my knowledge.
Still waiting... https://www.ccfsettlement.com/
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:43 pm

I was checking a fare on Orbitz and noticed they are advertising an Orbitz card from Capitol 1 with no foreign transaction fee. Might be worth getting before a next European trip. For me, that is.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
they are advertising an Orbitz card from Capitol 1 with no foreign transaction fee. Might be worth getting before a next European trip.
All Capital One cards have this feature. No need to get an Orbitz branded card (unless you want to).
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Discover's supposed to be dropping the forex fee soon, though they're only really good for China-bound travelers (wider acceptance, avoidance of forced DCC).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:50 pm

Discover is supposed to be accepted in Europe where Diners Club International is. When I had a Diners U.S. card it had reasonable acceptance in Europe, but I haven't paid attention since I dropped the Diners card some years ago.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:57 am

I know about the Schwab Investor Checking no forex/ATM fee rebates, but I wanted to know if that extends to the Schwab Savings account too?

On their website, they state that Schwab Savings account you do get ATM fee rebates from withdrawals, but does anyone know if they have to 0% forex like the Checking account?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by rtwvagabond

... does anyone know if they have to 0% forex like the Checking account?
Yes, but there is a limit of $500 per day for withdrawals via ATM and six per month via internet
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:00 pm

I don't know about that first restriction, but the second one comes from bank law. No one will beat that.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have a Visa debit card from Ameritrade which I have never used outside of the US and out of curiosity I wrote to them yesterday to ask if it is valid in Europe.

I received the following reply:

Yes, you are able to use your Visa debit card in Europe. TD Ameritrade will not charge any foreign conversion fees, however you will be responsible for any fees charged by ATM's outside of the United States.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just wondering if there's any credit card with zero or close to zero forex - which *also* covers car rental collision/damage?
PENFED Premium Travel Rewards AMEX, it also has no annual fee.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by keirnna
PENFED Premium Travel Rewards AMEX, it also has no annual fee.
But difficult to join, if not affiliated with Govt/Military, correct?

Note that the Chase Presidential Plus card now has no forex fees and also covers auto rentals - not sure - just saw it a few days ago: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...dservices.aspx (I couldn't find the T&Cs stipulating car rental collision cover, but according to FT posts, it does cover it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.