Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wall Street Journal Subscriptions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Without signing up for Rewards Gold, I couldn't tell from their website how many points it takes to qualify for the WSJ subscription. So, can anyone tell us: How many points, how long does it usually take to reach this level, etc.? Is this level achievable by taking surveys, or are purchases required? This information would be helpful to know before joining this service. Thanks!
Filling out that single survey is sufficient to receive the free WSJ sub.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by HansGolden
Filling out that single survey is sufficient to receive the free WSJ sub.
Although evidently even if you sign up for the WSJ, they may randomly send you some other subscription instead
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Although evidently even if you sign up for the WSJ, they may randomly send you some other subscription instead
I wondered where the multiple other new magazine subscriptions were coming from.

I signed up for and got the WSJ, but am now getting at least 4 other magazines I don't want.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:39 pm

Repeat Wall Street Journal Subscription with Frequent Flyer Miles?

Our 39 week subscription to the WSJ has run out and we are missing it. We initially used some miles from our sons United account to pay for this- as such the subscription is in his name. Since this same son has enough orphan miles in his Delta account we were hoping to be able to renew with miles from this account. When attempting to do this there is a disclaimer in red type that states offer is good for new subscribers only and that miles used are nonrefundable. Would this still work to have this son as a subscriber, perhaps even changing the names to his initials or another of our names? Or wouls the fact that it is being delivered to the same address flag it as a previous subscriber and thus not qualify for the offer? Would the miles then be lost? Anyone else have experience with multiple subscriptions?
Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:43 pm

I haven't had any trouble as long as the name changes.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:46 pm

Search the forums for free WSJ subscription. I can recall doing some sort of survey that was 10 mins long and got 40 weeks of the WSJ and some other financial magazine. There was a bit of a lag time between finishing the survey and getting the first newspaper.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I just changed my name by one letter (left the last letter of my last name off) and it worked.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Here is a free 39 week subscription signup. Different name ought to work ok.

http://www.rewardsgold.com/mags/wsj/...g1gd39w1ab.htm

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: United 1K
Thank you Doc Savage - love the free 39 week subscription.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Our 39 week subscription to the WSJ has run out and we are missing it. We initially used some miles from our sons United account to pay for this- as such the subscription is in his name. Since this same son has enough orphan miles in his Delta account we were hoping to be able to renew with miles from this account. When attempting to do this there is a disclaimer in red type that states offer is good for new subscribers only and that miles used are nonrefundable. Would this still work to have this son as a subscriber, perhaps even changing the names to his initials or another of our names? Or wouls the fact that it is being delivered to the same address flag it as a previous subscriber and thus not qualify for the offer? Would the miles then be lost? Anyone else have experience with multiple subscriptions?
Thanks.
When I tired this, the red message was only for new subscribers at a new delivery address, which would be a problem for mere new names at the same address, I think It was enough to keep me from moving forward. Not sure what I will do once the paper stops arriving (a bit past expiration date now but papers keep arriving)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:59 am

Unhappy Problem "renewing" WSJ subscription

We have been receiving the WSJ using miles for several years. What a great value! We need a new subscription and both United and Delta have the following disclaimer:

*Note: This offer is available for new subscriptions at a new address only. Existing subscribers are [sic] of this newspaper are not eligible for this offer, and will be billed by the publisher. Miles cannot be refunded.

Have not seen this disclaimer before. Are we going to have to pay $$$?!

Any help on this greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:55 pm

I "renew" my Star Ledger all the time. Haven't had a problem yet. I would wait a week or so after your subscription ends to renew again. Just to get your name/address out of the system.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:01 pm
In memoriam

I've been a paying (at a big discount) subscriber to the WSJ for many, many years, but am now thinking about dropping (although a free sub is not bad value ). A little too much bias from the editorials to the news page.

Anyhow, this blog entry suggests the FT is a better bet and it got me thinking. From Cal Econ Prof Brad Delong's blog at http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2012/0....html#comments

Hale Stewart: The Financial Times Rules OK!

Hale Stewart:

The Bonddad Blog: Why I Dropped My WSJ Subscription for the Financial Times: Here are the reasons for the switch:

A far more international orientation: the Financial Times is truly an international paper…. [The] world is now one giant inter-related system; you have to know what is happening in Europe, Australia and India and how that inter-relationship relates to the US. The WSJ falls down on this connection in a pretty big way….

Much better blogs: Compare Alphaville and Money Supply to the WSJ's Market Beat or Real Time economics. There is no comparison…. [T]he FT blogs which provide some excellent in-depth research on meaty topics. The posts are longer and filled with far more nuance. The different is night and day.

A great writing style. The FT has shorter stories, but there is no fluff; once the writers have said their piece, they stop writing….

When was the last time the WSJ did a really good piece on anything?… The WSJ used to provide great well-researched articles economic on topics (in fact, it used to be a daily occurrence, running down the right or left side of the front page). They've just lost that edge. I think a big problem there is the attempt to make the WSJ a competitor with the NYT….

The lack of an "ick" factor. The ongoing investigations in the UK indicate there are serious management problems that have obviously filtered down throughout the Murdoch media group. Put another way, if the head is that corrupt, I don't see how that doesn't trickle down

Whatever isn't covered in the FT is covered by Bloomberg…

J. Bradford DeLong on June 14, 2012 at 09:45 AM in Information: Internet | Permalink

Of course, a key question is: can I pay for the FT with miles--preferably SkyPesos?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:47 am

I have a few thousand orphaned United Mileage Plus miles and was going to get the WSJ at home. I noticed there are really two ways to accomplish this from the United site:

- Through magazinerewards for 304 issues (M-F delivery) for 3200 miles
- Through newspaper-miles for 39 weeks (M-Sa delivery) for 2900 miles

A couple of questions for the experts. First, isn't a standard print subscription Monday-Saturday now (with the WeekendJournal on Saturdays)? Would the M-F be mistake? Second, does anyone know if either include the online edition as well or if this is truly JUST the print edition?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by shiner
I have a few thousand orphaned United Mileage Plus miles and was going to get the WSJ at home. I noticed there are really two ways to accomplish this from the United site:

- Through magazinerewards for 304 issues (M-F delivery) for 3200 miles
- Through newspaper-miles for 39 weeks (M-Sa delivery) for 2900 miles

A couple of questions for the experts. First, isn't a standard print subscription Monday-Saturday now (with the WeekendJournal on Saturdays)? Would the M-F be mistake? Second, does anyone know if either include the online edition as well or if this is truly JUST the print edition?
The WSJ still offers the M-F print option because many subscribers are businesses who are inconvenienced by a copy delivered on Saturday, or who are paying for subscriptions for their personnel at work on an M-F basis. (As an option, the WSJ does permit the Saturday edition to be delivered to a different address, but not everyone chooses that -- or has time to read it on their weekends!)

The newspaper-miles version is definitely the print edition only. Maybe three years ago, they offered me a free upgrade to the online edition from the print one, but that hasn't happened the last few redenotuibs,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.