Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wall Street Journal Subscriptions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by itsme
Perhaps I'm obtuse, but I don't understand, "On UA, you get 6/$, but on AGR, you get 20/$." Are you referring to how many miles/points it takes to get x number of weeks of the WSJ, or what? Please explain.
Each partner may or may not have different rates of earning for the same item for each FFP. As an example, WSJ using UA earns 6/$, but WSJ using AGR earns 20/$. Another example is Circuit City, using CO earns 3/$, using AGR earns 1/$ and UA 1.5/$.

BTW: If you get WSJ using UA, the "special offer" is 1 year for $99, but if you get WSJ using AGR, the "special offer" is 1 year for $79!
Originally Posted by ajlee7
Hi, I get the following message when I redeem miles, select newspaper subscription, and enter my zip code on UA MP: "No Newspapers available for the selection". I do not see any selection for WSJ for AA Aadvantage.
I don't know your location, but if I may guess it may be due to 1) you're in AK or HI (WSJ is only available in the continental US) or 2) there are no printing plants near you (so they can not get "today's" edition to you timely).

I don't know about AA. That is one of the FFPs that I don't belong to.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Each partner may or may not have different rates of earning for the same item for each FFP. As an example, WSJ using UA earns 6/$, but WSJ using AGR earns 20/$. Another example is Circuit City, using CO earns 3/$, using AGR earns 1/$ and UA 1.5/$.

BTW: If you get WSJ using UA, the "special offer" is 1 year for $99, but if you get WSJ using AGR, the "special offer" is 1 year for $79!

I don't know your location, but if I may guess it may be due to 1) you're in AK or HI (WSJ is only available in the continental US) or 2) there are no printing plants near you (so they can not get "today's" edition to you timely).

I don't know about AA. That is one of the FFPs that I don't belong to.
OK, I think you are talking about paying $$$ for the subscriptions and getting miles/points for doing so. ajlee7 wanted to know about using miles for the subscription, which I think a much better option. The number of miles/points to be gained by subscribing is pretty small.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:18 pm

OK, I think you are talking about paying $$$ for the subscriptions and getting miles/points for doing so. ajlee7 wanted to know about using miles for the subscription, which I think a much better option. The number of miles/points to be gained by subscribing is pretty small.
That's correct. I am looking to redeem miles for a WSJ subscription. I live in the NY Tri State area so I am close to the print factory. I guess they took it off the list.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Sorry!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:45 am

how long does it take for WSJ subsription with ff miles?

I have always subscribed with Delta or UA miles and never had to wait longer than 2 or 3 weeks for the WSJ to arrive at my doorsteps.
This time I used AAdvantage miles and 7 weeks after miles were deducted still no Journal. Customer support is almost non existend and I have gotten quotes of as much as 17 weeks.
I would sure like to find out where the problem is, airline or WSJ?
If it's the WSJ they sure ar'nt telling.
Could it have something to do with Rupert Murdoch? Maybe miles subscriptions are not profitable for them?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by guschwa
...Could it have something to do with Rupert Murdoch? Maybe miles subscriptions are not profitable for them?
Don't know about what is and what isn't profitable for the parties to those deals, that is the airline FFPs and the WSJ, but isn't the WSJ planning to give it away free online? Or have I misunderstood their intentions and they only intend to do what they are doing now, that is to put some, but far from all of their content online. Anyone know? (I will still prefer to hold the paper in my hands to reading it online.)

Will try to find the WSJ offer on UA, but does anyone happen to know the details, that is the number of miles for how many weeks? I seem to recall looking into it in the past and concluding that while it was a reasonable way to use miles, it wasn't a killer return on the miles.

Also, I'd rather burn some US or CO miles. Anyone know if all those FFPs offer WSJ options? And that magazine service that brokers miles for magazine deals, are they still around? I received Forbes for 1 year through them in a very good deal, but when I went back to look at their list of magazines for miles, I didn't see Forbes still there, and what they did offer was mostly junk.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by ajlee7
I was going to redeem my UA or AA miles for a WSJ subscription. However, I do not see this as an option on either site. Can someone tell me if WSJ is an option with another FF program? And do you think not having on AA and UA is just a temporary omission? Thanks.
Mags For Miles for US has the WSJ.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Other than portability reasons or sheer habit, I don't think there is really a legit argument to be made that print has benefits over online. For the publishers, it is a no brainer now that Google can convert small relevant text ads into revenue far better than two years ago. The revenues FT makes from the AdSense ads, I assure you, is mind-numbing.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mooper
Other than portability reasons or sheer habit, I don't think there is really a legit argument to be made that print has benefits over online...
Right, portability and "sheer habit" are legitimate arguments for print over online. Ad revenues are not my concern as an end user rather than producer.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:17 am
Mul

Will try to find the WSJ offer on UA, but does anyone happen to know the details, that is the number of miles for how many weeks? I seem to recall looking into it in the past and concluding that while it was a reasonable way to use miles, it wasn't a killer return on the miles.
Not online, but by phone..
call 1-800- 961-8723
Say "order magazine"
Say "yes" you have the order form
Say "your UA Mileage plus #"
Say "VNJ" as the offer code on the order form
Say "The Wall Street Journal" to order the newspaper

3,300 miles for 230 issues
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mul
call 1-800- 961-8723
Say "order magazine"

Thanks. The old fashion phone method worked. I'll post back when I receive my WSJ subscription.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
230 issues of the Journal for 1700 USAir miles I had sitting around.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mul
call 1-800- 961-8723
Say "order magazine"

Thanks! I would have never thought that.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:06 pm

Has anyone gotten their subscription started yet with this phone redemption? With the old online redemption, my subscription would start in only a few days.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Deleted.

Last edited by Tenacious; Apr 23, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.