Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Soon after purchasing the 55k packages that came back on the Friday market, the 14k packages sold out. Now all the Choice packages are sold out.
I saw that . I was debating whether to grab some more points via the 14k and then the news of packages hit a certain blog site and poof they were gone.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I'm surprised that all the Hilton packages have sold out! I thought they'd be slow movers just like the IHG ones!
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan
I'm surprised that all the Hilton packages have sold out! I thought they'd be slow movers just like the IHG ones!
Yeah, I don't really understand the appeal of buying those Hilton points. It's not like it's a terrible deal, but why? You're just buying them for what they're "worth," and if you're willing to shop around (not 100% committed to staying at a particular Hilton), you can usually get a better hotel deal when you actually want to book it. You can also gin up Honors points rather easily with the right AMEX card, and it's easy to get a lot of cheap points by getting one of the many Honors credit cards. I guess it was a deal for the lazy.

Something like Choice points are much harder to gin up, and there are more redemption "deals" (underpriced hotels) in the Choice program than there are in Hilton program.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Grabbed some Alamo GCs. $25 for $50 off of an Alamo car rental + potential WN points, or DL miles, or VS miles.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I want to buy the HHonor's points, for the experiences offered, some would be a great deal, compared with their retail price.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I want to buy the HHonor's points, for the experiences offered, some would be a great deal, compared with their retail price.
They go (and went) in about 7.3 nanoseconds, just like the Hyatt points do (and will).

Plenty of IHG and Wyndham available, though. Gee, I wonder why...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
They go (and went) in about 7.3 nanoseconds, just like the Hyatt points do (and will).

Plenty of IHG and Wyndham available, though. Gee, I wonder why...
The volume of Hilton packages for sale make a difference.

The Hilton points were much easier to get than Hyatt points have been at any point in the past five years at least.

IHG points can be bought relatively cheaply and quickly at just about any time I want them. But given IHG has reduced the value of its points for Pointbreaks and other IHG awards, splurging on them on Daily Getaways has never made much sense to me.

Wyndham and its points program just doesn’t grab as much attention as Hilton and Hilton Honors points, and Wyndham had recently devalued its “GoFast” awards, thus substantially reducing the value proposition of the points for most..

The Hilton points’ sales aren’t great value generally but I know of situations where buying those points via Daily Getaways was akin to getting nearly a month or more of room and breakfast and gym at Hilton Honors properties, so there was some value that way. And since buying Hilton points directly is more expensive than buying IHG points, can’t say I am in the least surprised by the difference in outcomes.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton points’ sales aren’t great value generally but I know of situations where buying those points via Daily Getaways was akin to getting nearly a month or more of room and breakfast and gym at Hilton Honors properties, so there was some value that way. And since buying Hilton points directly is more expensive than buying IHG points, can’t say I am in the least surprised by the difference in outcomes.
I always assume that the ability to MS for these points affects demand in Daily Getaways. Like with an easily-obtainable AMEX card, it's possible for most Americans to walk into their local supermarket and, for $12, buy 2 $500 Visa gift cards that would net them 6000 honors points. One more buck will get rid of those cards at Walmart (or other stores). Rinse and repeat as often as you like and, for many weeks of the year, I can get those gift cards for zero dollars at my favorite supermarket (and hence get the Honors points for almost nothing, too). You also get a big Honors bonus for getting that credit card from AMEX.

Needless to say, I don't buy Honors points on Daily Getaways. There is, however, no easy and cheap way to accumulate Choice points this way. So I buy those points.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:15 pm

We were able to pick up two of the Lowes Packages today for Orlando in my office. Those are a great deal as you can get fastpass in to universal. Anyone else in on the deals today?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
I always assume that the ability to MS for these points affects demand in Daily Getaways. Like with an easily-obtainable AMEX card, it's possible for most Americans to walk into their local supermarket and, for $12, buy 2 $500 Visa gift cards that would net them 6000 honors points. One more buck will get rid of those cards at Walmart (or other stores). Rinse and repeat as often as you like and, for many weeks of the year, I can get those gift cards for zero dollars at my favorite supermarket (and hence get the Honors points for almost nothing, too). You also get a big Honors bonus for getting that credit card from AMEX.

Needless to say, I don't buy Honors points on Daily Getaways. There is, however, no easy and cheap way to accumulate Choice points this way. So I buy those points.
Manufactured spend (MS) with a Choice points-earning bank card works differently than MS with a Hilton points-earning bank card?

Choice points can be gotten via MS or by buying the points via Choice points+cash bookings that are cancelled.

Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Choice points can be gotten via MS or by buying the points via Choice points+cash bookings that are cancelled.

Yes but, to my knowledge, they can't be acquired "efficiently" though MS. Big difference, no?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Just picked up the Loews Miami Beach suite package. It was not available earlier, but has come back to life.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Just picked up the Loews Miami Beach suite package. It was not available earlier, but has come back to life.
Wow $600 a night, yikes!!! But I do hear its a very nice hotel!!!
Yeah they all technically sold out later, probably like the choice packages, someones card didnt go through or something.
Nice grab!!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I know. $600 a night is high, but on their website it is over $2000 a night. Checked first.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I know. $600 a night is high, but on their website it is over $2000 a night. Checked first.
wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.