Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Once again, the countdown begins. Previews start April 2nd. Sales start April 9th.
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:56 am

Sounds like an annual event that I have never heard of before. How good is it in previous years? Do I really need to read the fine prints or just get them as quickly as they're still available? Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:21 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by neivn67
Sounds like an annual event that I have never heard of before. How good is it in previous years? Do I really need to read the fine prints or just get them as quickly as they're still available? Thanks.
There are usually a few good deals, but fewer every year. The good ones sell out in milli-seconds.
sonofzeus likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

There are threads in this forum for past years. I recall participating as far back as 2010.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Everything
I have participated for years and any looking forward to the annual event.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Waste of time!

Anything good is purchased by bots in milliseconds. I discovered that if it is available to purchase when you click through, it is probably not a very good deal.

My advice is don't bother wasting your time.
sonofzeus likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by smilee
Waste of time!

Anything good is purchased by bots in milliseconds. I discovered that if it is available to purchase when you click through, it is probably not a very good deal.

A waste of time to one is valuable as gold to another.

Unfortunately bots do seem to take the best deals, too bad theres not a way to stop that but there are still good to great deals to be had with points IF you know how to get the best value from them. Even the best deals can suck if you spend them poorly.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kauppias
Unfortunately bots do seem to take the best deals, too bad theres not a way to stop that
There are definitely ways, but it's not in USTA's interest to do anything, so they won't.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:45 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Waste of time!

I "wasted" my time last year and got the large Hertz point package when someone didn't complete their purchase. Has saved me thousands of dollars as I usually need 8 to 10 weeks of rental cars in a variety of US locations. I paid apx 5 cents per point and am getting 10 to 15 cents per in value. Also, nice to get the "Premium" cars for just the taxes and (exorbitant) fees.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rbAA
There are usually a few good deals, but fewer every year. The good ones sell out in milli-seconds.
The best deals do get booked up in a tiny fraction of a second, but some of the good ones are available for grabbing even without the use of automated tools to swipe them before otherwise humanly possible. But the real reason the deals are so hard to grab is that demand for grabbing them has increased tremendously as attention on the deals has increased hugely. The last two rounds were way more difficult to grab high-demand deals than the rounds some 4 or 5 years ago. A large part of that is due to the amount of attention on the deals.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Waste of time!

wow, that’s a negative Nelly or Nancy, I have purchased something every year and find some very valuable and obtainable, but to discourage a newbie, maybe they want less competition
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Everything
I got two awesome deals last year (a bunch of Alamo certificates at 50% off, which saved me a bundle when I book cars at a small airport, and a $1000 Expedia certificate, which cost us only $500. Our little family of 4 is rendezvousing in Manhattan for 7-nights courtesy of that purchase plus a few extra dollars.

My strategy is to hover over the button 5 minutes ahead of time and then start refreshing at the 1-minute mark. I'm not bot but it worked for me.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:37 pm

For those new to this, what the deals are is posted a week ahead of time, so decide beforehand which deals are good for you.

For me there have only been a couple that worked for me, and some of those sold out before I could jump on them.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:29 pm

So have the deals for the week beginning 2 April been announced already?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
So have the deals for the week beginning 2 April been announced already?
April 2 is a preview day. Deals start April 9. Nothing is announced until April 2. You can sign up for email alerts any time-now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.