FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1897806-u-s-travel-associations-daily-getaways-2018-a.html)

TravelStar Mar 8, 2018 7:33 pm

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2018

Once again, the countdown begins. Previews start April 2nd. Sales start April 9th.
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org

neivn67 Mar 9, 2018 6:56 am

Sounds like an annual event that I have never heard of before. How good is it in previous years? Do I really need to read the fine prints or just get them as quickly as they're still available? Thanks.

rbAA Mar 9, 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by neivn67 (Post 29504076)
Sounds like an annual event that I have never heard of before. How good is it in previous years? Do I really need to read the fine prints or just get them as quickly as they're still available? Thanks.

There are usually a few good deals, but fewer every year. The good ones sell out in milli-seconds.

MileageAddict Mar 9, 2018 9:11 am

There are threads in this forum for past years. I recall participating as far back as 2010.

HeavenlyJane Mar 9, 2018 10:29 am

I have participated for years and any looking forward to the annual event.

smilee Mar 9, 2018 2:36 pm

Waste of time!

Anything good is purchased by bots in milliseconds. I discovered that if it is available to purchase when you click through, it is probably not a very good deal.

My advice is don't bother wasting your time.

kauppias Mar 14, 2018 8:00 am

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 29505692)
Waste of time!

Anything good is purchased by bots in milliseconds. I discovered that if it is available to purchase when you click through, it is probably not a very good deal.

A waste of time to one is valuable as gold to another.

Unfortunately bots do seem to take the best deals, too bad theres not a way to stop that but there are still good to great deals to be had with points IF you know how to get the best value from them. Even the best deals can suck if you spend them poorly. :)

mahasamatman Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 29523483)
Unfortunately bots do seem to take the best deals, too bad theres not a way to stop that

There are definitely ways, but it's not in USTA's interest to do anything, so they won't.

rbAA Mar 17, 2018 8:45 am

Waste of time!

I "wasted" my time last year and got the large Hertz point package when someone didn't complete their purchase. Has saved me thousands of dollars as I usually need 8 to 10 weeks of rental cars in a variety of US locations. I paid apx 5 cents per point and am getting 10 to 15 cents per in value. Also, nice to get the "Premium" cars for just the taxes and (exorbitant) fees.

GUWonder Mar 17, 2018 9:16 am

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 29504141)
There are usually a few good deals, but fewer every year. The good ones sell out in milli-seconds.

The best deals do get booked up in a tiny fraction of a second, but some of the good ones are available for grabbing even without the use of automated tools to swipe them before otherwise humanly possible. But the real reason the deals are so hard to grab is that demand for grabbing them has increased tremendously as attention on the deals has increased hugely. The last two rounds were way more difficult to grab high-demand deals than the rounds some 4 or 5 years ago. A large part of that is due to the amount of attention on the deals.

yuel Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Waste of time!

wow, that’s a negative Nelly or Nancy, I have purchased something every year and find some very valuable and obtainable, but to discourage a newbie, maybe they want less competition

HeavenlyJane Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am

I got two awesome deals last year (a bunch of Alamo certificates at 50% off, which saved me a bundle when I book cars at a small airport, and a $1000 Expedia certificate, which cost us only $500. Our little family of 4 is rendezvousing in Manhattan for 7-nights courtesy of that purchase plus a few extra dollars.

My strategy is to hover over the button 5 minutes ahead of time and then start refreshing at the 1-minute mark. I'm not bot but it worked for me.

just_jim Apr 1, 2018 12:37 pm

For those new to this, what the deals are is posted a week ahead of time, so decide beforehand which deals are good for you.

For me there have only been a couple that worked for me, and some of those sold out before I could jump on them.

puchong Apr 1, 2018 5:29 pm

So have the deals for the week beginning 2 April been announced already?

rbAA Apr 1, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29591563)
So have the deals for the week beginning 2 April been announced already?

April 2 is a preview day. Deals start April 9. Nothing is announced until April 2. You can sign up for email alerts any time-now.