Reload this Page >

60 AA miles/$ at Magazine.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

60 AA miles/$ at Magazine.com

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:31 pm

How long did it take for your miles to post. I did not receive any confirmatory email that I used the AA portal to shop on magazines.com
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Stupid question here, but what's stopping you from canceling on day 91, so you're eligible for the miles, but are only paying around 25%?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by SQ421
I placed an order using my AU credit card and it went through fine. The post code needs a bit of a tweaking, with city to match, but other than that it was a-ok.
Do you mind being a little more specific?
I'm trying to put my UK card through the site and it won't allow it.

I've tried keeping my address the same, but changing the city to New York and using my friend's NY postcode. I can't get it to work.

I'd really appreciate anybody helping me with this.^

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Do you mind being a little more specific?
I'm trying to put my UK card through the site and it won't allow it.

I've tried keeping my address the same, but changing the city to New York and using my friend's NY postcode. I can't get it to work.

I'd really appreciate anybody helping me with this.^

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure there's a workaround - do you have Amex, they seem to be better for this sort of thing
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by md25
Yes - shows as confirmed in my account. Posted this morning.
When did you place the order?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
mine show as confirmed -- day after i made the purchase -- very impressed

Originally Posted by Nekamah7
Stupid question here, but what's stopping you from canceling on day 91, so you're eligible for the miles, but are only paying around 25%?
Where did you see anything about 90 days? Sorry if I missed it...

If 91+ days later, Cartera won't claw back the miles, then I'm fine with exploiting their stupidity (particularly with a company like Cartera), however if they do claw back the miles, and you book travel knowing your AA account will go into a negative balance, AA may close your account. I guess there's nothing to stop you from using a secondary AA account and booking travel before cancelling, but that's beyond my ethical boundary.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Nov 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
FWIW, I did Delta's 20/$1 offer also from magazines.com about a month ago and the miles have already posted and the subscription started. Hoping for same with AA.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
How are you planning on dividing the value of the magazines and the value of the miles ?

its a not 100% gift since you got something out of the deal.....
I'm not exactly sure yet and have an email out to my tax advisor. My understanding about getting value from a charitable contribution has to do with something like a charity event ticket where 100% of the "donation" is not going to the organization and you get an immediate value in return.

Would love to hear if anyone has tax expertise in this area. Another way of posing the question: if I make a cash donation via credit card to an organization, do I have to account for the 1/1 bonus points earned also?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by kaiguy
Whew, just went in for just under 2k worth.

1k worth to the Children's Hospital, 1k for my business

Fingers crossed on getting the miles posted and getting the charitable deduction. Thanks Flyertalk!
Logistically speaking here how are you doing this? picking a random hospital and just sending subscriptions to them?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Thomastraveller
I'm pretty sure there's a workaround - do you have Amex, they seem to be better for this sort of thing
Of course I have an Amex, this is FT.

Any help on how to put this order through would be great.

Like I said, using an NY zip code and NY as the city, is not working.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by kdinino
Logistically speaking here how are you doing this? picking a random hospital and just sending subscriptions to them?
http://www.chla.org/site/?c=ipINKTOA...7#.UpLPeo3LGAc

that's the address I sent the subscriptions to. I'll follow up and try and get some documentation from them.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there a way to buy a subscription to a magazine you already subscribe to and simply change the name or shipping address to have it qualify as a new subscription?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by silver-tls
When did you place the order?
Sunday the 24th. Has been typically 4-5 days between order and confirmation showing on the portal for me over the last couple of weeks.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
mine show as confirmed -- day after i made the purchase -- very impressed

Where did you see anything about 90 days? Sorry if I missed it...

If 91+ days later, Cartera won't claw back the miles, then I'm fine with exploiting their stupidity (particularly with a company like Cartera), however if they do claw back the miles, and you book travel knowing your AA account will go into a negative balance, AA may close your account. I guess there's nothing to stop you from using a secondary AA account and booking travel before cancelling, but that's beyond my ethical boundary.
http://www.magazines.com/help/faqs,d...ml#cancelOrder

Says three months (not 90 days).

Given the miles can take up to 8 weeks to post, I am happy with three months to cancel. I will cancel if the miles don't post. If the miles post, then I won't cancel.

No miles have posted for me yet.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
http://www.magazines.com/help/faqs,d...ml#cancelOrder

Says three months (not 90 days).

Given the miles can take up to 8 weeks to post, I am happy with three months to cancel. I will cancel if the miles don't post. If the miles post, then I won't cancel.

No miles have posted for me yet.
My mistake, I thought you were saying that T&C stated that you must maintain the subscription for at least 90 days in order to be eligible for the bonus. Was going to say, if we can cancel with only 25% of a year long subscription charged, that decreases the cpm significantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.