MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Same thing happened last time they had a similar offer. I called them and asked them for a sorted list which they gave me and I posted here (or maybe it was the Amex forum). I will call when I have a chance.
Pretty comical actually. It’s sorted by country, but then not alphebetically, by state, city, brand, or seemigly anything else as far as I can tell. Who comes up with this stuff?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Called Amex regarding their list of participating properties. Agent said she couldn't send me a better list. She referred me to the Marriott website which leads me to believe that there are no non-participating properties. She said she would give my feedback to her manager regarding the list.

Anyhow, she did give me a tip on how to search the list. She said to press Ctrl+F and a search box comes up and you can enter the name of the property or city you are looking for.

Sorry, that's the best I could do this time.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe

Pretty comical actually. It’s sorted by country, but then not alphebetically, by state, city, brand, or seemigly anything else as far as I can tell. Who comes up with this stuff?
But it's not sorted completely by country. For instance you have Germany on pages 1 and 2, then Spain on page 3 and more Germany on page 4. It's just dumb!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Called Amex regarding their list of participating properties. Agent said she couldn't send me a better list. She referred me to the Marriott website which leads me to believe that there are no non-participating properties. She said she would give my feedback to her manager regarding the list.

Anyhow, she did give me a tip on how to search the list. She said to press Ctrl+F and a search box comes up and you can enter the name of the property or city you are looking for.

Sorry, that's the best I could do this time.
Thanks for trying. This was great timing for me as I received the registration email just as I was to check out from a stay here in Maui. Already received the confirmation email that the $50 credit should be forthcoming.

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe

Thanks for trying. This was great timing for me as I received the registration email just as I was to check out from a stay here in Maui. Already received the confirmation email that the $50 credit should be forthcoming.

The nice thing about the Amex Cda offer is it’s valid worldwide. I have a similar offer on my US Amex cards (spend $300, get $60 back) but it’s only valid at US properties. I have an upcoming stay in HNL which is right after the promo period. Undettered, I asked the hotel to send me eAuthorizations so I could prepay for my room (flexible rate). I have 2 US cards plus used my brother’s card and another American friend’s card for a total rebate of US$240.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Does anyone know if Gift card purchases qualify for the AMEX SPG targetted offer of spend $250 and get a $50 credit? Apparently gift cards are available at full service Marriott properties and I don't see why this wouldn't qualify. Might be worth a try anyway.

Note that at least for now "The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton GiftCards: Protea Hotels by Marriott®, St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, Design Hotels"
jerry305 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by turbov6
Does anyone know if Gift card purchases qualify for the AMEX SPG targetted offer of spend $250 and get a $50 credit? Apparently gift cards are available at full service Marriott properties and I don't see why this wouldn't qualify. Might be worth a try anyway.

Note that at least for now "The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott or The Ritz-Carlton GiftCards: Protea Hotels by Marriott®, St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Tribute Portfolio™, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, Element®, Design Hotels"
So, you walk up to the front desk at a Marriott property and buy a $250 gift card?
I would guess that that should work, because it's a purchase through that Marriott hotel's Amex merchant account.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
So, you walk up to the front desk at a Marriott property and buy a $250 gift card?
I would guess that that should work, because it's a purchase through that Marriott hotel's Amex merchant account.
Just did exactly that at a full service Marriott Hotel in Toronto. Will report back if I get the $50 credit confirmation email.

Also not sure if it's targeted but there was a survey in the latest Aeroplan subscriber email for 100 miles and also an offer for 500 miles on the next Aeroplan estore purchase. Email had the subject: FirstName, the best ways to get Aeroplan status again.

jerry305 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Hi. I've just ordered an Alaska Airlines WE MasterCard via GCR. I realize YMMV but generally how long does it take for the 30k bonus points to be deposited after the minimum spend is met?
TIA
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by turbov6
Does anyone know if Gift card purchases qualify for the AMEX SPG targetted offer of spend $250 and get a $50 credit?
My offer specifically says "Excludes gift card purchases".
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My offer specifically says "Excludes gift card purchases".
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I searched my offer terms for references to gift cards and it says "Purchases made with supplementary cards are not qualifying purchases. American Express Corporate cards and American Express Gift cards are excluded from the offer." and later on....
"We reserve the right to substitute an American Express Gift card or cheque in lieu of the statement credit. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer."
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Genouver
Hi. I've just ordered an Alaska Airlines WE MasterCard via GCR. I realize YMMV but generally how long does it take for the 30k bonus points to be deposited after the minimum spend is met?
TIA
I got the card about a week ago and hit the minimum spend with a big purchase right away. I see the 30k points in my MBNA Rewards account on the MBNA site and expect them to be transferred to my Alaska Airlines account on my next statement date. I'm pretty sure that's the way it went last time around as well.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:37 pm

Visa Infinite Product Switch

I've had the RBC Avion Visa Infinite for several months and am ready to move onto something else. I got in during the FYF promo and transferred the points to my Avios account while the transfer promo was running.

Before cancelling I thought I'd explore product switch options. I think the only other RBC card I'd be interested in would be the B.A. Avios card, but the fee is steep and the minimum spend is high. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'd still have to pay the fee with a product switch? If I could get it FYF I'd probably do that, but I don't think I'm interested enough to pay that fee for more Avios points, mostly because their long haul redemptions are too high. I'don't have much interest in the WestJet card either.

I remember reading things years ago about being able to go another bank with your Infinite Visa and getting them to give you their cards FYF even when they weren't normally doing that. I'm not sure if it was just a perk of holding an Infinite Visa or if they required you to cancel you're current card. I'd be ok cancelling mine. Does anyone if TD or CIBC are doing this for RBC Avion cardholders at the moment? I don't currently have any products with TD or CIBC so I have no leverage that way.

TIA
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I've had the RBC Avion Visa Infinite for several months and am ready to move onto something else. I got in during the FYF promo and transferred the points to my Avios account while the transfer promo was running.

Before cancelling I thought I'd explore product switch options. I think the only other RBC card I'd be interested in would be the B.A. Avios card, but the fee is steep and the minimum spend is high. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I'd still have to pay the fee with a product switch? If I could get it FYF I'd probably do that, but I don't think I'm interested enough to pay that fee for more Avios points, mostly because their long haul redemptions are too high. I'don't have much interest in the WestJet card either.

I remember reading things years ago about being able to go another bank with your Infinite Visa and getting them to give you their cards FYF even when they weren't normally doing that. I'm not sure if it was just a perk of holding an Infinite Visa or if they required you to cancel you're current card. I'd be ok cancelling mine. Does anyone if TD or CIBC are doing this for RBC Avion cardholders at the moment? I don't currently have any products with TD or CIBC so I have no leverage that way.

TIA
Try switching to a no-fee RBC card for a while, then see if later on you can move to a card you want.

As for TD and CIBC, it didn't matter (for me, 6-12 months ago) whether I had a bank account. They were competing to steal cardholders from the other banks with cards that compete with Aeroplan cards.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Try switching to a no-fee RBC card for a while, then see if later on you can move to a card you want.

As for TD and CIBC, it didn't matter (for me, 6-12 months ago) whether I had a bank account. They were competing to steal cardholders from the other banks with cards that compete with Aeroplan cards.
I think I'll pop into a CIBC branch in the next week or so and see if I can get that deal with them. If not, I'll try TD. If neither work I'll think about whether I want to downgrade the Avion. I have an account at RBC so I'll take a look at those benefits as well.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.