MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Any data points on whether names/addresses have to match on MBNA application and Alaska Mileage account, or can I put my spouse's Alaska Mileage # on my application so that all our points end up in 1 account? Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by TOchurner
Any data points on whether names/addresses have to match on MBNA application and Alaska Mileage account, or can I put my spouse's Alaska Mileage # on my application so that all our points end up in 1 account? Thanks.
See this post in the Alaska MBNA thread:
Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 4, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
See this post in the Alaska MBNA thread:
Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard
Thanks. All he said though was that "Unless you want to anger Chester and risk having both accounts shut down, I'd avoid this". IMHO, it's always easier to err on the side of caution, but at times a gamble can pay off

What I mean to say is that I would need the miles from both of our signup bonuses to make a specific trip work, so I'm wondering if anyone has any data points on this actually working or not working. Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:49 am

Any advice/succes on applying for a second card, The new offer is tempting but I still have another one.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
In case anybody didn't know, all USA-bound redeye UA, AA, and DL flights leaving from YVR in the international terminal have access to their respective lounges (Skyteam Lounge, Cathay Pacific Lounge). That was quite a nice surprise given the transborder terminal has nothing normally accessible for AA/DL elite fliers.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by keitherson
In case anybody didn't know, all USA-bound redeye UA, AA, and DL flights leaving from YVR in the international terminal have access to their respective lounges (Skyteam Lounge, Cathay Pacific Lounge). That was quite a nice surprise given the transborder terminal has nothing normally accessible for AA/DL elite fliers.
I mean, you enter the International terminal instead of the transborder terminal, so that should be a good clue that you can use the lounges in the International terminal. You literally go somewhere different haha.

The downside is that you don't get pre-clearance as the reason for this is that CBP is closed, so you land in international arrivals instead of domestic in the US
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I mean, you enter the International terminal instead of the transborder terminal, so that should be a good clue that you can use the lounges in the International terminal. You literally go somewhere different haha.

The downside is that you don't get pre-clearance as the reason for this is that CBP is closed, so you land in international arrivals instead of domestic in the US
Yeah but generally speaking, not many US-bound flights leave from the international terminal. Only a handful leave after 6-7pm when the preclearance border closes.

It's just noticeable in the summer now, because of all the seasonal flights.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
The non premier world doesn't seem to have airline transfer options. Only the Premier one does
the HSBC comparison table of the two cards indicates that BOTH are eligible for conversion into airline miles...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

There's a new batch of PointBreaks hotel room specials from IHG / Holiday Inn hotels, for now till Sep 30, 2018.

PointBreaks are reward stays available starting at 5,000 points.
They also include offers for 5,000, 10,000 or 15,000 points... I'd consider 10,000 or 15,000 as "not bad", but 5,000 can be a really fantastic deal.

If you don't have points, you can purchase points from the IHG website.
Better yet, (I believe) there is a way that IHG members who already have at least 5,000 points can buy 5,000 points for US $40, or buy 10,000 points (2 nights' worth) for US $70. This workaround is discussed in other threads. PM me if you have questions.
Other methods are discussed starting around post 3925 of this thread...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28224184-post3925.html

Full list of PointBreaks hotels in Canada, US & overseas:
https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/content/us/en/redeem-rewards/pointbreaks ​​​​

Hotels in Canada available for
5,000 points:
none at present
​​​​​​​
for 10,000:
Holiday Inn Calgary-Airport
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Terrace BC
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Toronto Airport West
Staybridge Suites London

for 15,000:
Holiday Inn & Suites Montreal Centre-ville Ouest
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
has anyone been able to get royal bank to give u rbc avion card for free after u had card for a yr , my card is do up in 2 months , dont use it enough to want to pay a fee for it , have avion pts ,prob wont fly anywhere till winter time, know i can get diff rbc card for free , but avion pts wont work the same im told with card , been with royal bank for yrs , just wondering if that matters if i ask about keeping same card with no fee.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by radoak
has anyone been able to get royal bank to give u rbc avion card for free after u had card for a yr , my card is do up in 2 months , dont use it enough to want to pay a fee for it , have avion pts ,prob wont fly anywhere till winter time, know i can get diff rbc card for free , but avion pts wont work the same im told with card , been with royal bank for yrs , just wondering if that matters if i ask about keeping same card with no fee.
I'd like to know the answer to this, too - since mine is up in Sept.

I have an RBC Westjet card, too - and I am really unsure what to do since the announcement of that new combined RBC loyalty program Amplii. I don't want to make any financial commitment to either card in light of that. I think you could use this as leverage to get your AF for free - at least until the end of the year, as they plan to announce the Amplii details by then...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:50 pm

So after Chase cancelled all Marriot cards few months ago,now I received a letter that my Marriott card will change to "Hotel rewards card' staring September 01. Strange since they cancelled the card, but who knows maybe they are going to issue some new cards after they got rid of all of their portfolio in Canada.

Last edited by mitelsp; Jul 31, 2018 at 12:06 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by radoak
You can call them and let them know you have a competitor Infinite Visa card (like TD) upon which the fees are waived and they should/could waive it for another year... might be best to wait until the fee posts to call, if they don’t waive it you have within the payment due date to cancel and get the whole fee refunded
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mitelsp
who knows maybe they are going to issue some new cards
Pretty much no chance of that. Maybe someone bought their customer list.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
just put my rbc avion pts over to avios , last day for 30 percent bonus, fig i have 3 yrs to use them , didnt want to take chance with my rbc card once yr is up and have to use pts for gift cards which is not great .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.