MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Are you tied into an IP address that is identified as within Quebec? Bill 791 and this card's requirement now for $1000 spending don't dance well together.
Could you please explain a bit more? I thought Bill 791 is only about preventing the expiration of points.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
That was just a stab in the dark on my part, but hope it resolves your problem. Post an update later, thanks!
The card was available on the GCR site at home (Ontario). I applied but got the "we'll contact you in 10-15 days" like I usually get. I don't think I've ever gotten instant approval from MBNA.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by godsquare
Could you please explain a bit more? I thought Bill 791 is only about preventing the expiration of points.
More discussion is on this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post28244802.

There's a lot of unknowns. But basically, some companies may just not offer a particular program in Quebec because of the hoops and hurdles. We don't know if they've actually modified their offer so that it doesn't show up for users who are in Quebec... but it's a possibility.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
The card was available on the GCR site at home (Ontario). I applied but got the "we'll contact you in 10-15 days" like I usually get. I don't think I've ever gotten instant approval from MBNA.
Instant approvals seem to just be fairly rare in Canada as a whole. I'm not sure me or my partner has ever gotten an instant approval. Which is the complete opposite of the experience I had while living in the UK, I got an instant decision pretty much every time.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
My 2nd statement has generated, and I do not see the additional 40,000 Best Western points. On the plus side, the points from spending were posted to my BW account by the next day.

Ok, will have to wait till the 3rd MBNA BW MC statement now.
Three months later, and now I finally see the additional 40,000 Best Western points awarded now when I log into MBNA's website! ^
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
Three months later, and now I finally see the additional 40,000 Best Western points awarded now when I log into MBNA's website! ^
I still done have mine - even after the 3rd statement! Guess I'll have to call it in..........

QUESTION for those with this card: I got charged interest even though I made my payment on time. It just posted really late! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the money comes out of your bank by the due date (this is the transaction date), it shouldn't matter when it posts - and you shouldn't get charged interest - no? This is the way it is on almost every other card I have with different banks. Are the T&C with MBNA different???
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by pokee
QUESTION for those with this card: I got charged interest even though I made my payment on time. It just posted really late! Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the money comes out of your bank by the due date (this is the transaction date), it shouldn't matter when it posts - and you shouldn't get charged interest - no? This is the way it is on almost every other card I have with different banks. Are the T&C with MBNA different???
I would definitely complain up to the Ombudsman saying that it doesn't match what is usually done by other banks.

But note that the new credit card issuers have less and less respect for the norms that have been established by the legacy credit card issuers. Example: For a long time it has been the norm that if you would miss the payment by one day, you would call the credit card issuer and they would remove the interests. Nowadays, Tangerine won't do it, even if you go up to the supervisor.

Last edited by emilio911; Sep 30, 2017 at 9:14 am
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:17 am

Hi all!

Is there a credit card (in Canada) to collect miles of Star Alliance carrier that doesn't charge fees for Air Canada? Aeroplan charges too much fees for AC flights. I know United MileagePlus is great, but seem impossible to collect in Canada. What other options are there?

Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I wish banks stuck to transaction date but not is not the case for all. I noticed that rogers, utilities go by transaction and for sure Amex. But Some MC sure do not. In my case CT Option charge me interest as the payment was proceed one day after due date.

But logically, If I say pay me by a certain date, I would expect the funds to be available for use by that date. The delivery time should be on you time not my.

But I am with you, banks should be more accommodating, they charge enough.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Sep 30, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reason: clearification
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
But MC sure do not.
RBC MC, BMO MC, and Capital One MC all do
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by emilio911
Hi all!

Is there a credit card (in Canada) to collect miles of Star Alliance carrier that doesn't charge fees for Air Canada? Aeroplan charges too much fees for AC flights. I know United MileagePlus is great, but seem impossible to collect in Canada. What other options are there?

Thanks!
American Express Starwood can transfer to several *A airlines that aren't Air Canada.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by emilio911
Hi all!

Thanks!
Originally Posted by YOWgary
American Express Starwood can transfer to several *A airlines that aren't Air Canada.
Specifically, the SPG Amex cards earn SPG points directly and all AMEX Membership Rewards cards earn points that can be transferred to SPG and then to *A partners. UA isn't the best option there though since the transfer rate is only 1:2, vs 1:1 for AC. (but it has other 1:1 *A partners too, e.g. KrisFlyer) Not sure if there's any *A partners that don't charge YQ on international AC flight awards though, sorry.
emilio911 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Specifically, the SPG Amex cards earn SPG points directly and all AMEX Membership Rewards cards earn points that can be transferred to SPG and then to *A partners. UA isn't the best option there though since the transfer rate is only 1:2, vs 1:1 for AC. (but it has other 1:1 *A partners too, e.g. KrisFlyer) Not sure if there's any *A partners that don't charge YQ on international AC flight awards though, sorry.
But he can transfer SPG pts to Marriott then get favourable exchange rate for UA miles
emilio911 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:49 am

Talking

Originally Posted by nli007
But he can transfer SPG pts to Marriott then get favourable exchange rate for UA miles
Excellent idea! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure if there's any *A partners that don't charge YQ on international AC flight awards though, sorry.
My other findings (other than UA) for SPG points transfer were Aegean and ANA (which still charge some YQ for AC, but still much much less than Aeroplan I believe).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:53 pm

10k per night Fall promo at BW is now up! Some hotels are not participating though (like the Stratosphere in Las Vegas). Glad I signed up for the 60k welcome bonus.
Only 10K BWR points for a room Nov. 1--Jan. 31!
jerryhung, jerry305 and JJonahJ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.