MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by flipstah
Anyone know if it’s possible to combine Bonvoy points + AMEX free night certificate to bump up my free night category?
Unfortunately it isn’t possible.
flipstah likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Unfortunately it isn’t possible.
Thanks for that. I booked two separate days back-to-back to utilize my free night certificates.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 4:28 pm

Any new card deals out and about? Is Bonvoy still the best hotel-focused card out there or should I drop it for Amex Gold?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I'm gonna keep the Bonvoy Amex for the foreseeable future, mainly for the free night each year.
Amex Gold's signup offers have been pretty good.

Do you have to choose one or the other?
pokee and flipstah like this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: *void
Any new card deals out and about? Is Bonvoy still the best hotel-focused card out there or should I drop it for Amex Gold?
This is usually an AC-centric forum so I’ll add that there are the following Aeroplan promotions:

1. CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite - 20K after $1K spending and a Buddy Pass. CIBC usually post the Buddy Pass at the first statement (after the $1K spending) so if you can hit the $$ threshold quickly you may be able to get it by the Nov statement if you apply today. If so, then you can call Aeroplan to have the BP converted 30K. The deadline to convert is Nov 30th.

2. TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite - 25K after $1K spending and a Buddy Pass. But because the BP usually takes 4 months to post by TD, it will not get into Aeroplan in time for the Nov 30th deadline. Plus, you can only get ONE Buddy Pass from each tier of CC, and this one is the same tier as the above CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite. So instead of the above TD promotion there is an "In-Path" offer for the same card with NO Buddy Pass but it's for 45K after $1K spending. It's a bit tricky to get this promotion to appear, but you have to do a mock booking at AirCanada.com to see the offer. POT wrote about it last month: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/td-a...-45000-points/. He includes some suggestions on how to get this offer to appear, but not everyone can see it.

I would couple the CIBC 20K + BP(30K) offer with the TD 45K In-path offer, if you want 95K Aeroplans for a "mere" $2000 spending. You’ll have to act fast, and no guarantees especially on the Buddy Pass timing to convert.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:42 pm

Well, scratch that. Since when did AMEX Gold shoot up to 250 annual? Sheesh.
pokee likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
1 week ago
pokee likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The Amex Cobalt is a good alternative to gold. It's cheaper ($13/month, but GCR has a $120 rebate on now) and earns 5x points on dining and groceries. You also get a 20,000 MR sign-up bonus when you spend $3000. Plus for the first year, you get an extra 2500 MR for each month you spend $500. Points can be transferred 1 to 1 to Aeroplan or to Marriott at a rate of 1 MR to 1.2 Bonvoy.
flipstah likes this.

Last edited by Low Roller; Oct 22, 2021 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:43 pm

Is it still working? Not for me...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
I'm gonna keep the Bonvoy Amex for the foreseeable future, mainly for the free night each year.
Amex Gold's signup offers have been pretty good.

Do you have to choose one or the other?
Same. I don't have to choose, but it seems excessive to pay $250+150 on annual fees for two cards.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
The Amex Cobalt is a good alternative to gold. It's cheaper ($13/month, but GCR has a $120 rebate on now) and earns 5x points on dining and groceries. You also get a 20,000 MR sign-up bonus when you spend $3000. Plus for the first year, you get an extra 2500 MR for each month you spend $500. Points can be transferred 1 to 1 to Aeroplan or to Marriott at a rate of 1 MR to 1.2 Bonvoy.
I'm reading up on this card since Marriot announced changes to their Bonvoy program for 2022. 5x is appealing for sure.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:06 am

I'm reading up on this card since Marriot announced changes to their Bonvoy program for 2022. 5x is appealing for sure.
5x is appealing, but keep in mind that if you spend $500/month on dining or groceries, it's really 10x points for the first year (2500 monthly bonus + 2500 for 5x spend). That would earn you 5000 MR points/month, which could be converted to 6000 Bonvoy.
flipstah likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:01 pm

Cobalt Amex VS Business Edge Amex Card

Looking at applying for either of these. Would prefer Cobalt, but they don't appear to have a lump sum sign up bonus.

I've held the Cobalt before - about 5 years ago - not sure if they won't give an any sign up points to previous cardholders?

Also, anyone know how easy the App is for Business Edge? I have a great credit rating, but not sure if they do instant approval or require you to send in info on Financials?
flipstah likes this.

Last edited by pokee; Jun 7, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:03 pm

I was going to apply for this card again until I saw the fee increase. Totally not worth it anymore
Old Jun 7, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Also, anyone know how easy the App is for Business Edge? I have a great credit rating, but not sure if they do instant approval or require you to send in info on Financials?
I've never been asked for any financial documents when applying for an amex business card. Sometimes it is instant approval and sometimes takes a few days, but I've never been asked for supporting docs.
pokee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.