Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Aye. I'm treating it like its really just a 15k + FYF. The requirements to get the remaining pts are awful
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Agree. You guys think they will change this promo in the future?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska,Aeroplan, Aegean, BA Executive
New TD Aeroplan VI offer is up:

TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card | TD Aeroplan

Apply online by March 2, 2020 to get an Annual Fee Rebate† for the Primary Cardholder for the first year and earn up to 30,000 Aeroplan Miles (equivalent to to 2 economy short-haul roundtrip flight rewards)† as follows:

Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you make your first Purchase with your Card†.
+
Earn 5 additional Aeroplan Miles on all Purchases, for the first 3 months up to a total spend of $1000 per month, up to a total of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles†.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by I came to fly
Does the five additional miles per dollar during the first three months up to 15k miles mean that one gets six miles per dollar spent in total?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by transportprof
Does the five additional miles per dollar during the first three months up to 15k miles mean that one gets six miles per dollar spent in total?
It appears to be, yes, because some (travel-related) purchases on the card earn 1.5 miles and others earn 1.0 miles.
If the 5 bonus miles spend was supposed to include the regular earning, some of which could be 1.5 miles, then those wouldn't be bonus miles. Something like that. I'm very tired.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by I came to fly
How is this better than the previous 40k promo?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: SE 100K
2x questions;

Currently hold TDAVI.
Is it possible to apply for and also hold the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum?
What about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege? (possible to hold all 3... ?)

Second question;
Also have the TD FCT Visa Infinite. Have 80,000+ points.
Is the best redemption value by booking through Expedia for TD?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
2x questions;

Currently hold TDAVI.
Is it possible to apply for and also hold the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum?
What about the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege? (possible to hold all 3... ?)

Second question;
Also have the TD FCT Visa Infinite. Have 80,000+ points.
Is the best redemption value by booking through Expedia for TD?

To answer your second question:
Yes, the best redemption rate is, alas, through Expedia for TD. You'll get $1 in value for each 200 points... so 80,000 points = $400.
I believe the redemption rate for other travel spend is $1 for each 250 points... so 80,000 points = $320.
You could use some combo of that, for example, book an Expedia product approaching $400 in value, then burn off the rest of the points for some other travel spend.

Other than a note that "points must be redeemed in increments of 200 or 250", I don't see where TD actually states the redemption rate for other travel spend.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Question about cards / insurance policies.

TADVI; Say I make a booking (either cash or award) for a trip say April 10th - May 5th and use the TDAVI to pay for it or pay for the taxes / fees on an AE award.
If I then cancel the card prior to my trip (to avoid the annual fee), am I still covered by the insurance policies of the card? ie) trip delay / interruption, etc.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Question about cards / insurance policies.

TADVI; Say I make a booking (either cash or award) for a trip say April 10th - May 5th and use the TDAVI to pay for it or pay for the taxes / fees on an AE award.
If I then cancel the card prior to my trip (to avoid the annual fee), am I still covered by the insurance policies of the card? ie) trip delay / interruption, etc.

Thanks!
One of the requirements for policy to be in effect is that the account is “active and in good standing”.

So obviously your coverage will be void. You’re not insuring the purchase of the trip - you’re insuring _the_ trip - and you won’t have a card when the trip is imminent.
margarita girl and jerry305 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I learned the hard way over the holidays that trip interruption insurance is useless.

I was in Paris with a train ride to Frankfurt but the labor strikes canceled my trip and was forced to find emergency trips ASAP. Alternate trips to Frankfurt were full, but thankfully I was able to do a two-leg journey via Brussels which costs more than the initial trip and the CC won't cover it.

Basically, someone needed to be injured or dead for it to be a trip interruption.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flipstah
I learned the hard way over the holidays that trip interruption insurance is useless.

I was in Paris with a train ride to Frankfurt but the labor strikes canceled my trip and was forced to find emergency trips ASAP. Alternate trips to Frankfurt were full, but thankfully I was able to do a two-leg journey via Brussels which costs more than the initial trip and the CC won't cover it.

Basically, someone needed to be injured or dead for it to be a trip interruption.
Most insurance excludes labour actions, conflicts and acts of God.

You are not the only one who's French labour action trip interruption expenses were denied.

Since this is the Canada subforum, care to guess which province have the highest number of labour actions incidents?
flipstah likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
Since this is the Canada subforum, care to guess which province have the highest number of labour actions incidents?
I'll play - my first instinct is Quebec, but I lived in Ontario for several years and there was always someone on strike.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'll play - my first instinct is Quebec, but I lived in Ontario for several years and there was always someone on strike.
QC is correct. In ON it is mostly teachers.

In the old days Air Canada is very clear in the CoC that they are not responsible to trip delay interruptions due to labour actions. I was victim twice, both times some minor locale went on strike.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by tentseller
Most insurance excludes labour actions, conflicts and acts of God.

You are not the only one who's French labour action trip interruption expenses were denied.

BC because it's unionized?

EDIT: Oh dang, already answered. Quebec? Not surprised haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.