Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 3500 [DL/UA/US] miles for $5 from Sharebuilder

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reisen
Maybe I'm missing, but unless you link a Capital One Account, you need to first fund the account, then do the trade. The whole "trade and fund directly from a bank account" thing costs $6.95 unless the account is a Capital One Account.

Fortunately, I have a Cap One account, so just used that to buy a share of Sirius. The weird thing is, it makes you transfer way more than you need ($36 when the total cost is only like $11), but whatever, if it saves time, I'll do it.
When I started an automatic investment, I always had the option to fund from my bank account for free (not a Capital One account). I can't remember the exact steps though and can't see if it's still available because my accounts are all closed.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Originally Posted by hotstepper
Not 100% positive, but I believe it is free on the BOA end, just like a transfer of funds from your bank account to your PayPal balance if I remember correctly. I would think of it as either a free ACH transfer out or debit card line item on your BOA statement

Pricing for sharebuilder's side:
(http://www.sharebuilder.com/sharebui...ice-rates.aspx)
Confirming the transfer from BOA checking is free, at least with their standard growth checking account. You provide the routing and account number (which you can get through online banking) to Sharebuilder and it's done fairly quickly (within a business day or so).
Old May 16, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by LordByran
Confirming the transfer from BOA checking is free, at least with their standard growth checking account. You provide the routing and account number (which you can get through online banking) to Sharebuilder and it's done fairly quickly (within a business day or so).
Thanks, do you know if there is a fee to transfer the funds back to my checking account when I close out my sharebuilder account?
Old May 16, 2013, 2:58 pm

I already have an account with sharebuilder so i clicked the US Air link, and also entered the promo code: 100LSQ4 to get $100 for a $5,000 deposit(90 day hold). It then asked me to sign in with my existing sharebuilder account which I did. I transferred in 5k by ach from my bank account.

As for the trade, I signed up for the free 1 month trial of the advantage program, so buying it will be free but it says I have to invest at least $5($4 of which would cover the sales commission). Is this the cheapest way to do it? Is there any way to get around the $4 fee?
Old May 16, 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by gmid2006
Thanks, do you know if there is a fee to transfer the funds back to my checking account when I close out my sharebuilder account?
No fee for ach either way, almost always free with every bank, investment house, etc
Old May 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
No fee for ach either way, almost always free with every bank, investment house, etc
Bank of America is a notable exception to this. They charge $3 for a 3-day transfer, $10 for a next-day transfer, or $25 for a same-day wire.

This may, obviously, differ based on account type. If you encounter a fee like this you can usually avoid it by initiating the transfer from the other account. This is what I do when I transfer money between my Chase and Bank of America accounts. Chase charges no fee, so I always initiate the transfer from the Chase side.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I already have an account with sharebuilder so i clicked the US Air link, and also entered the promo code: 100LSQ4 to get $100 for a $5,000 deposit(90 day hold). It then asked me to sign in with my existing sharebuilder account which I did. I transferred in 5k by ach from my bank account.

As for the trade, I signed up for the free 1 month trial of the advantage program, so buying it will be free but it says I have to invest at least $5($4 of which would cover the sales commission). Is this the cheapest way to do it? Is there any way to get around the $4 fee?
I think you have to pay the commission and it will be credited back to you. Not sure though since I never tried the advantage program.

Last edited by samdori; May 16, 2013 at 5:26 pm Reason: to change what i wrote
Old May 18, 2013, 8:07 am

Wow! I did as samdori, the OP, recommended and I ALREADY have 3500 SM's deposited after doing the one-time auto trade last Tuesday. Talk about fast! I, too, am not a Medallion member but got the full 3500K. Thanks samdori! This is a bombshell bonus miles offer^
Old May 20, 2013, 8:23 am

Anyone received 2k UA yet?
Old May 20, 2013, 8:25 am

Got my $50 today. Still waiting on the UA miles.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX

Does it work for the existing account? OP mentioned you need to close and open a new account for it to work?
Old May 20, 2013, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked Friday and had no DL miles, checked again today and they posted ^
Old May 20, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by murtuza
Does it work for the existing account? OP mentioned you need to close and open a new account for it to work?
Yeah! I, too, already have an acct with SH. I simply opened up a new one. I already took up on offers for cash bonuses and am completely happy about not trying for additional cash bonus.

It's almost to good to be true. I mean, 3500 SM's for a $5 investment? This isn't going to be around much longer (and, if it does, my bad!). This is bigger than just about all other miles bonus gems.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:04 pm

Anyone tried closing an account yet? It won't let me close the account unless I sell the ~$1 stock I have. The fee to sell is $6.95, so I'd rather not spend it if I don't have to.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:46 pm

I'm concerned that the cash bonus might have trumped the miles bonus. I got several e-mails concerning the cash - registration, qualification, posting, etc - but nothing at all for the miles. Am I missing terms that might limit me to one or the other? Has anyone that has gotten miles received any sort of confirmation for the miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.