Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Primer] Using Points for French Polynesia

[Primer] Using Points for French Polynesia

Old Mar 28, 13, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
FWIW, I did the trip a few years ago on a *A award on NZ that took in PPT and RAR out of BNE for 20K RT. Dunno what availability is like these days, though.

Costs can really come as a shock. I stayed in a $37 hostel near PPT (basically a private room with shared bath in a house) and $40 cottage with a lightbulb, fan & mattress on MOZ (albeit near beach). The same thing would be $5-10 in Southern Thailand. The food trucks had some of the best meals at $10-15, but there was also the baguette-and-ham bit. Other splurges includes a round-the-island daytour of Tahiti island ($50-ish) and renting a bicycle on Moorea.

Researched getting to Bora Bora by boat (deck class), but time didn't allow. Had about a week in all. Total daily outlay came to around $120, but it could feel like living like a monk. Though the place is just too darn famous not to go to at some point.
Old Mar 28, 13, 9:22 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by n8onUA View Post
So I'm trying to get a feel for whether anyone has EVER added a LAX-HNL leg onto an AA award ticket after a LAX-PPT-LAX itinerary.

I looked into MPM and it looks like LAX-HNL > 25% MPM of LAX-PPT-LAX but perhaps I'm doing MPM wrong.

I'd like to know if someone has actually done this before I spend time planning for it...

Thanks in advance!
I was able to book "Part I" of our trip to Tahiti last night with 62.5K AA miles each. LAX-PPT in Business class. I was able to add a ORD-LAX in F segment to the flight 3 months earlier for when we are in Chicago visiting family. I plan on doing something similar with the return leg having a "stopover" in LAX (our home airport) for a future trip later in the year.
Old Mar 28, 13, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dad to GO View Post
I was able to book "Part I" of our trip to Tahiti last night with 62.5K AA miles each. LAX-PPT in Business class. I was able to add a ORD-LAX in F segment to the flight 3 months earlier for when we are in Chicago visiting family. I plan on doing something similar with the return leg having a "stopover" in LAX (our home airport) for a future trip later in the year.
Nicely done.

Does anyone know if ANA adds on fuel surcharges for redemption on Hawaiian Airlines? Thanks to someone's post up thread, I was looking into ANA partner redemption options. I think from the best option from the east coast might be using ANA miles.

JFK-HNL-PPT return all in Y for 65,000 ANA miles.

The next best option might be:
EWR-HNL return on UA Y for 40,000 miles + HNL-PPT on HA for 38,000 ANA miles for 78,000 miles total.

I am just not sure how much ANA will add on.
Old Apr 1, 13, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I booked my trip for Dec. We head to BOB first then MOZ.

My TN flight lands at 23:00, so I am looking to book something for that night and hop on a 7 am VT flight to BOB.

Hilton Bora Bora sent me an email that once we land at BOB, they can offer transport to the hotel for 9900 XFP per person R/T or we can take a local ferry to the village for 700 XFP o/w

The people responding from the hotel have pretty poor English, so it is hard to know what exactly is going on. For instance, if we end up going to the village, how do we get to the hotel and what cost is that?

I am about to pull the trigger on PPT - BOB - MOZ - PPT on VT for $602 USD pp, kinda bummed I have to waste a night at PPT.

Any recommendations on accommodations for that first night? Hopefully something close to the airport

EDIT: Also, on upgrades, this is what they sent me

And why not spoil yourself and try one of our Deluxe Overwater Villa which are offering a private access to the lagoon and an amazing view, it will be possible for a best offer of 35 000xpf per night including taxes.
then I told them I had GLD status and they responded with

Concerning the upgrade the rate change for Gold status and then enjoy a rate of 22000 XFP per night for the Deluxe Villa if you are still interesting please fill out the form and send it back.
Wife and I are probably going to pass, take chances with an upgrade at checkin or something.
Old Apr 2, 13, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Am thrilled that I just found this thread! Four of us are planning a RTW next fall (2014) which we will begin to book this fall, of course. We are planning on 4/5 nights in Tahiti (one at IC when we arrive, and then probably 3 or 4 in Moorea). Has anyone stayed at the Sofitel in Moorea? We thought about Bora Bora - the St. Regis - but sounds like a big expensive hassle...your thoughts?
Old Apr 9, 13, 1:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by saacman5033 View Post
Just looked again and I see that KE seems to have doubled the cost of the HNL-PPT coach awards to 60k RT.

KE miles are still very useful in that you can redeem 90k for RT business class on AF (60k for coach) for LAX-PPT
If you have Virgin America (VX) points, you can redeem 40K points for a RT on HA LAX-PPT. You can also do a one-way for 24K.
Old May 9, 13, 11:31 pm

Amex

I've been thinking of ways to use my Amex MR, and wouldn't a transfer to AF and getting the business or first class flight make a lot of sense?

Originally I was going to use American miles. But I seem to have better uses for that, whereas I feel like there are fewer options for my MR.

I'd go to Tahiti fall of 2014 (live in LA) so I'd assume booking 11 months out I can score two business tickets on most weeks, it's just a matter of what points.
Old May 10, 13, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tavinder Hare View Post
I've been thinking of ways to use my Amex MR, and wouldn't a transfer to AF and getting the business or first class flight make a lot of sense?

Originally I was going to use American miles. But I seem to have better uses for that, whereas I feel like there are fewer options for my MR.

I'd go to Tahiti fall of 2014 (live in LA) so I'd assume booking 11 months out I can score two business tickets on most weeks, it's just a matter of what points.
That's probably a good idea keep in mind they are upping their award flights in business and first in June.
Old May 10, 13, 9:05 am
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
Do note that on the TN availability, I often see 2 business seats on the married PPT-(LAX)-CDG segment and only one available on the PPT-LAX...so if you want to go to Paris, it's one way to get it done. Remarkably, on the AA award chart, PPT-CDG would be 60k one-way while PPT-LAX would be 62.5k one-way. So you save some miles by doing that.

Old May 10, 13, 11:20 pm

I would really like to fly to PPT from the US in F. Is AF the only F option?
Old May 11, 13, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
I would really like to fly to PPT from the US in F. Is AF the only F option?
AF is pretty much the only F option from LAX, as TN is retrofitting their planes to eliminate F seats and expand business class. If you fly Hawaiian Airlines once a week flight from HNL to PPT, you can fly F, but their F is more like TN's business class.
Old May 13, 13, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tavinder Hare View Post

One thing to keep in mind is the idea of adding free one-way stopovers to and from your destination. I couldn't do this on our outbound journey since we booked our award tickets only 2 weeks before we left for Tahiti (just coach for us...last minute plan to burn HH points) and the US point of departure is LAX so you would only get free one-way flights from LAX to XXX. If you live near LAX or can easily pre position there, it's not a bad way to get some extra free flights.

For instance, I was able to add LAX-LIH. We live in Vegas, but a quick Southwest flight from LAS-LAX and we can connect up to our "free" one-way to LIH. Then just need to pay or book a one-way return award.

I used AA miles (had too many burning a hole in my account) but I agree that MR would be a better transfer (either to AF or DL).

If you're ok flying TN Business, then AA and DL (booking on TN) may allow some free one-ways. I know you can do it on AA because I just did but you might be able to do it with DL too.

Check out these MileValue posts:
http://milevalue.com/master-thread-f...rlines-awards/

http://feeds.feedblitz.com/~/t/0/_/f...-delta-awards/

Also I wish we had had more time (both off from work and before our departure date) because I may have tried to follow Ben's idea here to use DL miles to get to Tahiti and Australia...if you're booking 11 months out and have the time this may be something to consider (and a surprisingly good use of DL miles although perhaps only in economy): http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...-award-ticket/

Finally, being 6'4" (although only about 190 pounds), I just did the trip in TN in economy both ways. On the outbound I was able to ask at the airport for them to put me in the exit row. The seat armrests don't go up (girlfriend was a little annoyed) but I had ample leg room. The meals were actually relatively decent (better than most domestic first class meals nowadays sadly). And for the daytime flight, we just watched movies. I will agree that the seat cushions in economy are not the greatest but if you sit on a pillow or extra blanket you are ok. It does get somewhat cold by the exit row so although you're heading to FP I would suggest wearing pants and a long sleeve shirt and bringing a sweater on board (they do give blankets but I didn't think it was enough). If you've flown on a long transcon in an exit row on one of the old legacy planes you probably know how the butt can get sore.

On the return flight (red-eye), it certainly would have been nice to have a bed, however, on our flight (which I think was a tuesday or wednesday...i.e. mid-week), the flight was only about half full. Some people got an entire row of 4 economy seats across to sleep in. Others got 3 full seats and many got at least 2 seats to themselves. So again, if you can fly mid-week on the red-eye in the off-season you can probably get a more than 1 seat to yourself which makes it more bearable in coach. We unfortunately choose two seats on the window because we thought the plane would be full and wanted to ensure we sat next to each other and figured it was more private against the window but in hindsight we should've asked how full the plane was and if we could've gotten a row all to ourselves.

Truthfully, having never flown AF F, it seems like a lot of miles to spend 125,000 (at least that's what I believe it was for AA for Biz) for an 8 hour flight on sub-par first or business class products but I guess if you don't have any other plan for the miles it's worth it.

Certainly, I think saving up 25k more AA miles and spending 150k AA miles on say a long transpac flight on Cathay or even to Europe or south america would be a better use.

But you could also go to australia for 155k AA miles as pointed out in Ben's post above.

Last edited by n8onUA; May 13, 13 at 9:36 am Reason: Had mileage redemption rates wrong...
Old May 13, 13, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
AF is pretty much the only F option from LAX, as TN is retrofitting their planes to eliminate F seats and expand business class. If you fly Hawaiian Airlines once a week flight from HNL to PPT, you can fly F, but their F is more like TN's business class.
FYI.

AF no longer offers F service to PPT. They ended that service about 1-1/2 years ago. They offer F in their LAX-CDG A380 route but not the LAX-PPT. So a business redemption is as high as you can get on AF to PPT. Better availability with AF miles, 60K, and about $300 in taxes and fees.
Old May 14, 13, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by eknock007 View Post
FYI.

AF no longer offers F service to PPT. They ended that service about 1-1/2 years ago. They offer F in their LAX-CDG A380 route but not the LAX-PPT. So a business redemption is as high as you can get on AF to PPT. Better availability with AF miles, 60K, and about $300 in taxes and fees.
Thanks for the update, EKnock -- I haven't flown AF for many years, preferring TN's service.
Old May 14, 13, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Thank you to everyone who contributed. I've been reading about Air Tahiti's (VT) baggage limits, and would appreciate any help. Their website says that Y class allows 20kg/44lbs per passenger and Z class allows 50kg/110lbs per passenger. We don't need 110lbs each, but we'll definitely be over the 44lb limit especially since carry on is limited to 3kg/6.6lbs. I tried to buy Z class tickets so we wouldn't have to worry about the baggage limits, but have been unable to figure out how to do it. Has anyone been able to do it? Anyone suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Specifics:
MOZ - BOB July 5
BOB - PPT July 9

Thanks

Search this Thread