Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
The deal is minimum $100 Visa Gift card, not $50.
I purchased a $500 Visa GC, not $50.

I checked the Safeway.com weekly ad for the store I purchased the GC from and this is what it says:
Get $10 OFF Your next shopping order

When you buy $100 or more in Visa gift cards. Offer valid 6/20-7/17/12. Subject to availability. See gift card for details, terms, conditions, and (if applicable) fees.
I guess I will have to go back and request the $10 coupon.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
not happening in nor cal, so cal deal. it would print out a coupon if the promo was active.
I have not tried but Safeway ad in nor cal has this promotion.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 pm

i'm in sj, i did not see it in the weekly ad nor in the local store. they usually have ads by the GC area with any existing promo.
they do have the $10 in groceries with specific GC purchase, like Lowes, Nike and such. not the visa gc.

Originally Posted by jackiesyu
I have not tried but Safeway ad in nor cal has this promotion.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
i'm in sj, i did not see it in the weekly ad nor in the local store. they usually have ads by the GC area with any existing promo.
they do have the $10 in groceries with specific GC purchase, like Lowes, Nike and such. not the visa gc.
I am in sj as well. It is in their pg3 of weekly ad, 6/20-26, at the bottom right and it said: "Visa Ultimate Summer, Get $10 off your next shopping order when you buy $100 or more in visa gift cards, offer valid 6/20-7/17/12." There are 2 inserts for safeway ad, one is for the whole week, which is only 4 pages and this is where I find the ad. The other is some Friday deals, 5-day sales, etc.

The $10 in groceries with specific GC purchase had expired as of 6/20.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:08 am

Are the $10 coupons stackable? My coupon expires in two weeks. So one can't go hog-wild on this deal if not stackable.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:17 am

You are right. I must have missed it. then if that was the case, you should have went to the manager immediately. It would be hard to go back and request that $10 coupon since they could claim that it printed and you are back for seconds.

http://weeklyspecials.safeway.com/Sa...b878752_42.jpg

Originally Posted by jackiesyu
I am in sj as well. It is in their pg3 of weekly ad, 6/20-26, at the bottom right and it said: "Visa Ultimate Summer, Get $10 off your next shopping order when you buy $100 or more in visa gift cards, offer valid 6/20-7/17/12." There are 2 inserts for safeway ad, one is for the whole week, which is only 4 pages and this is where I find the ad. The other is some Friday deals, 5-day sales, etc.

The $10 in groceries with specific GC purchase had expired as of 6/20.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
The deal is minimum $100 Visa Gift card, not $50.

I went to a Vons in Southern California just now and bought a plain $100 Visa Debit Gift Card (set at $100, not one of the variable amount ones). With the activation fee, it was $105.95 (couldn't find one with just $3.95 fee). As soon as I swiped my Chase Freedom, a $10 coupon printed from the teller's machine.

I then went around and bought the $14 of groceries I was planning to buy anyway.
Same deal here at Dominick's in Chicagoland, though I have not yet partaken.

Similar deal around Father's Day. $50 purchase of certain GCs gave $10 credit on next visit. But here you did not get a coupon, rather the $10 credit was stored on the loyalty card. It did in fact work to give back the $10.

I got Staples GCs and turned them into Home Depot GCs, no problem.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by anders228
How do you receive the $10 coupon? I just bought a $500 Visa GC at a Safeway in San Francisco and did not receive a coupon nor any note on my receipt.
@anders228

The coupon didn't print when I bought the $500 gc here in Nor Cal either. The cashier was nice enough to give me the $10 in cash though. He also told me to make sure to buy the Visa gc with $100 face value next time. Sure enough, I bought three of those in separate transactions (at two different Safeways), and each time the coupons printed out right on cue.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by earthrain
@anders228

The coupon didn't print when I bought the $500 gc here in Nor Cal either. The cashier was nice enough to give me the $10 in cash though. He also told me to make sure to buy the Visa gc with $100 face value next time. Sure enough, I bought three of those in separate transactions (at two different Safeways), and each time the coupons printed out right on cue.
Thanks earthrain. I'll make sure to confirm that I'll receive a $10 coupon with my next $500 GC purchase. Otherwise I'll just buy the fixed $100 GC's as you did.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:58 am

I bought the $500 VISA card twice last week in Vons. No coupon was printed out. The first time the manager gave me $10 cash. The second time I got a $10 Safeway gift card. I think either of them(cash or gift card) is better than the $10 off grocery coupon.

After reading the posts above, I believe this deal would only apply to those fixed value VISA gift cards. But the weekly ad didn't specify it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Von's in Las Vegas has a sign for $10 groceries if purchasing $100 VS GC's...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze
Are the $10 coupons stackable? My coupon expires in two weeks. So one can't go hog-wild on this deal if not stackable.
You can achieve the 'stackable' result if you break your grocery purchases into $10 batches and pay for them separately.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 8:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

The thread title has been amended to reflect the established fact that the minimum purchase is $100 (not $50). I apologize for any disappointment or distress caused by the inaccurate title.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jake66
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
I went to one in San Jose area last night and same issue..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.