Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:53 pm

Help !

I went to one of the Pavilions & they told that I cannot buy MC GC with credit card. Employee was not ready to listen at all. May be I will try another Vons/Pavilions - but has anyone had similar experience?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
tried our local vons (Tamarack).. they nvr heard of this offer..
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
my local safeway had a special(in ad) that says spend 75 and get 10$..could it be that your getting in on this deal?

http://weeklyspecials.safeway.com/cu...rpStoreID=2747
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu
my local safeway had a special(in ad) that says spend 75 and get 10$..could it be that your getting in on this deal?

That is the deal.

ETA: My bad, have my deals mixed up.

Last edited by QL_714; Apr 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by domino007
I went to one of the Pavilions & they told that I cannot buy MC GC with credit card. Employee was not ready to listen at all. May be I will try another Vons/Pavilions - but has anyone had similar experience?
Go to a different Vons. I've never had any problems using CC at the ones in my area.

Originally Posted by travelsg
tried our local vons (Tamarack).. they nvr heard of this offer..
Nor have any of the cashiers I've approached. Fortunately in the gift card aisle there's a little sign clued between the MC GCs highlighting the deal. I've always got that to fall back on if the $10 coupon doesn't spit out.

That is certainly a good deal, but it's not the one I'm using. I'll take a photo of the little sign about the deal next time I go, and I'll create a tinypic link.

At any rate, if that deal you linked to is going on in my area, then it isn't stacking with the GC offer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:12 pm

deal valid in nor cal safeways as well.
$10 coupon for groceries on purchase of $100 MASTER card.
Offer for the deal ends 4/24, $10 expires 5/8.
10/75 is a separate deal.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by kaiotes
deal valid in nor cal safeways as well.
$10 coupon for groceries on purchase of $100 MASTER card.
Offer for the deal ends 4/24, $10 expires 5/8.
10/75 is a separate deal.
so the 10$ that comes with the 100$ master card is it a 10$ off your purchase or 10$ off $50 etc...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM

Originally Posted by thehawk75
That is certainly a good deal, but it's not the one I'm using. I'll take a photo of the little sign about the deal next time I go, and I'll create a tinypic link.
Here's a pic from the gift card aisle in the store advertising the deal:

Also, note that I picked up a flyer that was advertising the spend $75 get $10 coupon deal, so I could finally read the fine print. The fine print has a bunch of exclusions on what can count towards that $75, among them are beer, liquor, and gift cards. So, there's no compatibility with this offer and that. Whats more, you have to spend $75 after applying all discounts and other coupons. So, this a solid spending of $75 on groceries to get that $10 coupon. If you need to spend that much anyway, then perhaps it's worth it. On the other hand, why not buy 7 or 8 of those gift cards with your 5% card, and then break up that $75 order into 7 or 8 smaller orders, and get it for nearly free net of your coupons?

so the 10$ that comes with the 100$ master card is it a 10$ off your purchase or 10$ off $50 etc...
No. The $10 coupon is $10 off your purchase of $10 (or more). Believe me, I've been breaking up everything I buy into ~$10 batches for the past week. As a side benefit, my arithmetic skills have been given some extra exercise as well.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:26 pm

Recursion

Has anyone tried paying for the MC gift cards with... MC gift cards?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by quincyc
Has anyone tried paying for the MC gift cards with... MC gift cards?
It works but not sure why you would do that.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
How do one cash the gift cards into cash?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 am

10 off 10
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:21 am

Wink

Originally Posted by jerroranda
How do one cash the gift cards into cash?
Try Amazon Payment. You can use your MC, VISA, or even AMEX gift cards as credit cards to pay someone and ask he/she to pay you back by cash or check. The balance in the Amazon Payment can be deposited into any bank account as a direct deposit. The credit card payment has a $1k monthly limit without any fees.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

$10 credit with Visa gift cards at Safeway

At least at Safeway, this week brings a new gift card giveaway: $10 credit with every $100-or-more purchase of Visa gift cards (not the Vanilla ones, the straightforward gift cards) at Safeway. If you need groceries (and who doesn't?) this is a pretty good deal, especially if you have a certain AmEx (and therefore the $5.95 fee is essentially negated.)

Sadly, these $10 credits are only apparently useable one at a time, and don't appear to apply to gift cards. But if you are willing to run a bunch of smallish transactions, or if you walk home from work past a Safeway, as I do, and can just drop in once a day and do your grocery shopping piecemeal, then it's a great deal.

(I wonder if Safeway hates me yet? I only buy the gift cards from them, and I redeem the $10 credits on loss-leaders. I buy all the rest of my groceries at my local neighborhood grocery store.)
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:17 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by FredFnord

(I wonder if Safeway hates me yet? I only buy the gift cards from them, and I redeem the $10 credits on loss-leaders. I buy all the rest of my groceries at my local neighborhood grocery store.)
Ah Freddieboy aka FredFnord, you're my kind of guy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.